Could Someone explain Socket Error 11004 please ?

2005-02-25 04:18:30 PM
delphi42
I noticed something odd on my workstation. From the Date and time
properties dialog I have been trying to 'update now'. I put in a ntp
server address (that I verified first on a linux machine), and I get a
rather helpful 'An Error occurred'.
Ever resourceful, I decided to have a go with Indy idTime and idTimeUDP
components in delphi to see if I could get a better idea of what is
happening.
'Active:=True' seems fine, but SyncTime gives me 'Socket Error # 11004'
Am I getting to the source of the problem, or am I just using idTime
wrongly ?
I found :
WSANO_DATA 11004 Valid name, no data record of requested
type. This error indicates that the key
(name, address, and so on) was not found.
But couldn't glean any more from that.
Any pointers please ?

Re:Could Someone explain Socket Error 11004 please ?

I noticed something odd on my workstation. From the Date and time
properties dialog I have been trying to 'update now'. I put in a ntp
server address (that I verified first on a linux machine), and I get a
rather helpful 'An Error occurred'.
Ever resourceful, I decided to have a go with Indy idTime and idTimeUDP
components in delphi to see if I could get a better idea of what is
happening.
'Active:=True' seems fine, but SyncTime gives me 'Socket Error # 11004'
Am I getting to the source of the problem, or am I just using idTime
wrongly ?
The Time protocol is not the same as SNTP or NTP. In Indy, use TIdSNTP to access the NTP server.
I found :

WSANO_DATA 11004 Valid name, no data record of requested
type. This error indicates that the key
(name, address, and so on) was not found.

But couldn't glean any more from that.

Any pointers please ?
WSANO_DATA
11004
Valid name, no data record of requested type.
The requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for. The usual example for this is a host name-to-address translation attempt (using gethostbyname or WSAAsyncGetHostByName) which uses the DNS (Domain Name Server). An MX record is returned but no A record-indicating the host itself exists, but is not directly reachable.
Are you using the host name or IP address to access the server?

DonS writes:

The Time protocol is not the same as SNTP or NTP. In Indy, use TIdSNTP to access the NTP server.

I will have a look at that

WSANO_DATA
11004
Valid name, no data record of requested type.
The requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for. The usual example for this is a host name-to-address translation attempt (using gethostbyname or WSAAsyncGetHostByName) which uses the DNS (Domain Name Server). An MX record is returned but no A record-indicating the host itself exists, but is not directly reachable.

Are you using the host name or IP address to access the server?

Thanks don. I am using host name

Re:Could Someone explain Socket Error 11004 please ?

Thanks, Don.
I tried the IdSNTP component, and got the same result.
On trying a different server I had success; There was a field in the
ntp servers list which I did not understand - 'Notify'. Your fuller
error description made me think that might have been the issue, and it was.
However, I still cannot get Windows to synch, even when I use that host.
Thanks for your help.