DAC for Firebird + some specific questions

2006-10-24 10:06:00 PM
delphi95
Hi,
I have decided to replace my current MySQL DB with Firebird. Until now, I
have mostly worked with TADOQuery and the ODBC driver of MySQL. Just for
some specific queries (couldn't bring it to work with ADO) I have used DAC
from MicroOlap:
SELECT
count(*) as nbCar,
sum(sold_price) as CA,
(sum(sold_price)-sum(bought_price)) as BE,
round(
(sum(sold_price)/
(select sum(sold_price) from car_archive))*100,1) as CA_pcent,
round(
((sum(sold_price)-sum(bought_price)) /
(
(select sum(sold_price) from car_archive)-
(select sum(bought_price) from car_archive)
)
)*100,1) as BE_pcent,
reason_text
FROM car_archive
group by reason_text
order by CA_pcent desc
select
concat(
substring(cast(output_date as binary),1,4),
substring(cast(output_date as binary),6,2)
) as period,
(sum(sold_price)-sum(bought_price)) as BE,
(avg(days_elapsed)) as AV
from car_archive
where reason_text like '%Internet%'
group by period
order by period
My intention is to keep as far as possible the TADO components of Delphi
(7). Does anyone know whether I should expect some difficulties in this area
(also Inserts, Updates with TADOTable)?
If yes could you recommend a good and reliable DAC for Firebird which could
help?
Thanks,
Hubert Retif.

Re:DAC for Firebird + some specific questions

Hubert Ritif writes:

I have decided to replace my current MySQL DB with Firebird. Until
now, I have mostly worked with TADOQuery and the ODBC driver of
MySQL. Just for some specific queries (couldn't bring it to work with
ADO) I have used DAC from MicroOlap:

<snip>

My intention is to keep as far as possible the TADO components of
Delphi (7). Does anyone know whether I should expect some
difficulties in this area (also Inserts, Updates with TADOTable)?
it's better to skip TADOTable when working with RDBMS like Firebird or
MySQL. it is a component designed to use with desktop dbs, which has the
(IMHO {*word*193}) behaviour of trying always to load the whole table. Use
TADODataset or TADOQuery instead.
Said this, you should be able to use ADO with Firebird through ODBC.
The Firebird community provides an ODBC driver at its website.

If yes could you recommend a good and reliable DAC for Firebird which
could help?

From the top of my head Zeos, FibPlus and IBObjects. IBX can *still* be
used but it is not a good idea since Interbase and Firebird surely will
follow different paths and compatibility issues will arise sooner or
later.
--
Best regards :)
Guillem Vicens Meier