Delphi 7 + ADO + MySQL, weird unasked query problem

Hey ppl,
I'm experiancing a very weird problem with my current Win32(win2k/XP)
application.
I'm using:
* Delphi 7
* ADO
* mySQL ODBC 3.51 drivers
* connecting to a Solaris server with MySQL 3.23.36
* Table type MyISAM, Dynamic row format
When I perform the following basic query:
select count(*)
from table
where (field=value)
the following is communicated between client and database server
(sniffed with ethereal):
C->S
select count(*)
from table
where (field=value)
S->C
result
C->S
Select * from table
S->C
result
This ofcourse is fully unwanted (with 30.000 records and 20 fields in
the table)! When performing the query the following way:
select count(*)
from `table`
where (field=value)
the second unasked query (select * from table) is not performed.
WHY??? My Quess it is something in the ODBC drivers, since the client is
sending the request for the second query, however, when connecting to a
mysql (4) NT server this behavour is not seen.
I've now updated all my queries to use the '`' with table names,
however, I am sometimes still experiancing this weird behaviour, any
clues would be very very very welcome. Since this screws up my
application pretty badly.
ThePriest