Re: Kylix is dead?

2005-08-29 07:55:56 PM
delphi194
XXXX@XXXXX.COM skrev:
Wrong.
That would always be 1.
The LCM/LCD is only 1 if both arguments are 1.

Re: Kylix is dead?

looks good, so here's start point :)

Let me count my customers: Zeljko, Andreas umm and me = 3!
Not bad! One more than the legendary "two people that bought Kylix"
(www.itwriting.com/borlandtop3.php)
Are you sure you two have legal copies?
;-)

Re: Kylix is dead?

<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
It is as retarded a concept as developing Windows apps from within a Mac
environment.
So. do you consider any cross-platform development to be retarded...?
- Roddy

Re: Kylix is dead?

theo writes:
Are you sure you two have legal copies?

;-)
I know that I (we) have several (5-6) legal copies... ;-)
Pro and Enterprise
--
Best regards,
Fikret Hasovic fikret.fbtalk.net

Re: Kylix is dead?

Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:
Marco Caspers writes:

>making a total 5 of personalities.

17 more and we can call it Eve.
Yeah, but Eve is all about destruction.
I'd rather approach it more positively. :)..

Re: Kylix is dead?

"Rambam," I cancelled your reply. In addition the fact that you're
just plain wrong in your assertion (www.thearc.org/about.htm),
we don't need to be speculating about people's handicapped relatives in
this group.
As someone who writes software for agencies which, among other things,
help people who are mentally retarded, I would like to echo "Kozmo's"
request not to use the term as a perjorative.
Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
server: support.borland.com/entry.jspa

Re: Kylix is dead?

Or increase sales!
XXXX@XXXXX.COM writes:
"Uffe Kousgaard" <look_at_www.routeware.dk>writes:

This is Borland's marketing department you are talking about.
Why expect them to do anything that would reduce confusion ...
:-)

--
Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson

Re: Kylix is dead?

In article <4311f19f$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
"Bob Dawson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Really. I bought an Amiga when Borland advertised TP for Amiga. Never
happened.
I was quite pleased when I saw CBX demoed on MacOS.
--
-David

Re: Kylix is dead?

"Bob Dawson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
And threatening to go to Lazarus because Delphi isn't Linux/Mac ready is
simply silly. If you really need to be supporting those other platforms,
then you probably already are. If you don't, then giving up Delphi as a
That doesnt make any sense. There's 'needing' to support Mac, and then
there's 'would really like to'. A lot of people would 'really like to'
support macs, but have no option right now other than hoping Lazarus will
gel nicely. I have no use whatsoever for .NET 2.0 compatability and the
other niceties you mentioned that you'd like to see Borland focus on. Quite
frankly, there hasnt been anything introduced since D5 thats added any
measurable value to Delphi for me. A Mac version - even if done via 'cross
compiling' Mac executables from the Windows IDE, would offer tremendous
added value. I'd think that would hold true for anyone who produces
mass market, over-the-shelf software like we do.

Re: Kylix is dead?

XXXX@XXXXX.COM writes:
And why would one want to develop a Linux application from within
Windows ?
That'd be the preferred way for me, imo. One IDE, cross compiling to
multiple targets. Better than having to boot into X number of OS's and
recompile everything each time you make a change.

Re: Kylix is dead?

"Henrick Hellström [StreamSec]" writes:
The LCM/LCD is only 1 if both arguments are 1.
OK what is the LCD for 1 and 3 then.
Regards
Yannis.

Re: Kylix is dead?

Yannis skrev:
OK what is the LCD for 1 and 3 then.
3

Re: Kylix is dead?

At 23:11:38, 29.08.2005, Yannis writes:
"Henrick Hellström [StreamSec]" writes:

>The LCM/LCD is only 1 if both arguments are 1.

OK what is the LCD for 1 and 3 then.
<<
In mathematics, the lowest common denominator or least common denominator
(abbreviated LCD) is the least common multiple of the denominators of a
set of vulgar fractions.

IOW, the LCM of 1 and 3 is 3, and therefore the LCD of 1/1 and 1/3 is 3,
since you can express both in terms of 1/3: 1/1 = 3/3, and 1/3 = 1/3.
Likewise, the LCD if 1/4 and 1/6 is 12, since both can be expressed as
multiples of 1/12 (3/12 and 2/12 respectively).
The LCD of integers is indeed always 1. The LCM of 1 and 3 is 3.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"I'm not going to have some reporters pawing through our papers.

Re: Kylix is dead?

At 23:22:57, 29.08.2005, "Henrick Hellström [StreamSec]" writes:
Yannis skrev:
>OK what is the LCD for 1 and 3 then.

3
Not exactly. The LCD for 1/3 and 1 is 3, because the LCM of 1 and 3 is 3.
But the /en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowest_common_denominator page also
says what the LCD means in other contexts, and that is what was meant in
the first message in this subthread using it:
<<
The term is used figuratively to refer to the "lowest" ?least useful,
least advanced, or similar ?member of a class or set which is common to
things that relate to members of that class.

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of {*word*76}."
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)

Re: Kylix is dead?

>From where do you get that it has to be one or the other? Borland
>has limited resources,

Second part answers first.
My sentence does not end with comma. When you only qoute to mid
sentence your answer just becomes a blah-blah answer.
>There are people outside Borland who wants to fix the
>CLX, Borland should find a way to work with them.

As I recall there was something about a community CLX effort--don't
know what it is status is.
Bingo Bob, there are something going on, like the unofficial VisualCLX
patches from Andreas Hausladen. Why did Borland never find an agreement
to get work like this incorporated back into an updated Kylix release?
This could close off a lot of bugs in Quality central.
Compilers on Linux are generally free, How much do you think Borland
could make on that? How would it be better than Lazarus?
How much does C# as an command line compiler from Microsoft cost? AFAIK
it is a free download. Borland made a C#Builder product. Around the
same time there also appeared the SharpBuilder Open source project. How
big a sale do think that Borland product was?
Now C# comes together with Delphi 2005, whether you want it or not. I
presume Borland think it is a good sideshow for Delphi dot net, and one
extra feature to the Delphi 2005 pakage deal.
It is a pity Borland has not found a way to do something similar with
their own Kylix, tha tcould make it an addition to the Delphi 2005
(2006) package in one form or another.
>LCD offering? Liquid Crystal Display?

Least Common Denominator. See CLX.
I see your point about LCD, but that is AFAIK the reason why it is
called Kylix and not Delphi for Linux, and why there exist both VCL and
CLX.
>Because having the option to compile for Linux makes it easier
>to sell the idea of using Delphi.

In theory, perhaps. But judging by their actions, Borland doesn't
seem to think it holds up in practice.
No it is not in theory, it is in practice. Read Didier Largange posts
in this thread to see an example.
Doei RIF