Danny Thorpe on Unicode and VCL

Many of you have already read about this in this newsgroup, but for the rest
of you:
hallvards.blogspot.com/2005/08/danny-thorpe-on-unicode-and-vcl.html

Re:Danny Thorpe on Unicode and VCL

Hi!
Many of you have already read about this in this newsgroup, but for the
rest of you:

hallvards.blogspot.com/2005/08/danny-thorpe-on-unicode-and-vcl.html
Let me see. VCL.W32, VCL.NET, VCL.W64, FCL, .. Borland IDE, Visual Studio
IDE,
Delphi, C++, C#..., .NET 1.1, .NET 2.0.
This are all "platforms", which require "special support" for component
designers.
Is there somewhere light at the end of this tunnel :)
Regards!
Atmapuri

Re:Danny Thorpe on Unicode and VCL

Very good news. Danny will come out with a Win64 Unicode VCL. That is
truly super-good news, both for Win64 advocates and the Unicode
advocates. Of course, some will complain that Win32 is not scheduled
for a unicode update, but that is the breaks, and any advancedment at all
should be enough to silence the "Delphi is dead crowd" for a few days.
--
Name: Michael A. Vance
Favorite Toys: Delphi, Raize Components, TB2k+TBX, EasyTable

Mike Vance schreef:
Of course, some will complain that Win32 is not scheduled
for a unicode update, but that is the breaks
Yes, I will certainly complain. I could use a Win32/unicode-enabled Delphi
immediately. It is the one feature i am missing most under Win32.
Having a 32-bit compiler *without* unicode and a 64-bit compiler *with*
unicode would force me to maintain two separate code trees !!!!
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(In order to reply per e-mail, please just remove the ".net"

Re:Danny Thorpe on Unicode and VCL

"Arthur Hoornweg" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Having a 32-bit compiler *without* unicode and a 64-bit compiler *with*
unicode would force me to maintain two separate code trees !!!!
I agree entirely. Much as I welcome the idea of unicode and 64-bit native
compilers, I don't see us being able to deploy 64-bit only apps until 32-bit
machines have become as obsolete as Windows 9X and NT4 currently are. Say
five years from now. So a 64-bit unicode system will give us very little
until that point.
Currently, my need for a 64-bit compiler is driven by the requirement that
plugins like shell extensions must be the same bitness as the main
application. So under Win64, my shell extension *must* be compiled for
64-bit (unless you somehow run the 32-bit explorer on Windows 64, which
seems to have it is own set of problems).
- Roddy

Roddy Pratt writes:
I agree entirely. Much as I welcome the idea of unicode and 64-bit native
compilers, I don't see us being able to deploy 64-bit only apps until 32-bit
For Delphi64 servers I won't need to deploy to anything other than
Win64. For serverside development I see no reason to deploy to Win32
at all if I have a Win64 alternative. I have the opportunity, I will do a
one-way port and never look back. I fervently hope we get an
announcement that Borland will be giving us a native Win64 compiler in
the next two to three years.
-d

Re:Danny Thorpe on Unicode and VCL

If you had your choice.
Unicode W32 or Unicode W64, which would you choose?
I am not like most, I don't need Unicode. I also know that
it is slowly becoming the standard, so I don't want my code
to become absolute.
I can live with writing small sub routines to jump back and
forth between Unicode and ANSI.
It might be nice if the 32VCL was opened sourced our if Borland
would let a group of us work on it as a closed source solution,
and update it to do Unicode. During install, you could have a
choice of installing either the Unicode 32 & 64 or Ansi 32 and
Unicode 64.
I would do the prior and fix all my code once. I know my clients
would be fine with it.
And remember, this is all Danny playing with the technology. I
hope the playing becomes a plan for delivery. That would be
great.
Arthur Hoornweg writes:
Mike Vance schreef:

>Of course, some will complain that Win32 is not scheduled for a
>unicode update, but that is the breaks

Yes, I will certainly complain. I could use a Win32/unicode-enabled Delphi
immediately. It is the one feature i am missing most under Win32.

Having a 32-bit compiler *without* unicode and a 64-bit compiler *with*
unicode would force me to maintain two separate code trees !!!!

--
Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson

Thomas Miller writes:
If you had your choice.

Unicode W32 or Unicode W64, which would you choose?
Unicode Win64, in a heartbeat. I don't want Borland spending time to
retrofit the Win32 VCL when they could be working on Win64. I also
think that retrofitting the Win32 VCL would be likely to cause
performance and other problems in apps designed for that platform.
Finally, Win64 eliminates the issue of Win95/98/ME altogether.
Borland newsgroup denizen Sergio González has a new CD of
Irish music out, and it is good: tinyurl.com/7hgfr

Re:Danny Thorpe on Unicode and VCL

Ya, me too.

"Dennis Landi" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Roddy Pratt writes:
>I agree entirely. Much as I welcome the idea of unicode and 64-bit native
>compilers, I don't see us being able to deploy 64-bit only apps until
>32-bit

For Delphi64 servers I won't need to deploy to anything other than Win64.
To clarify: The 'us' I meant was 'my company', rather than 'us who read
b.p.d.nt' .
We do no server-based work at the present. it is all desktop applications.
- Roddy

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
Thomas Miller writes:

>If you had your choice.
>
>Unicode W32 or Unicode W64, which would you choose?

Unicode Win64, in a heartbeat. I don't want Borland spending time to
retrofit the Win32 VCL when they could be working on Win64. I also
think that retrofitting the Win32 VCL would be likely to cause
performance and other problems in apps designed for that platform.
Finally, Win64 eliminates the issue of Win95/98/ME altogether.
As I see it Win64 is the future and I will probably need it in a couple
of years when the 64bit hardware will be the most reasonable choise for
a new computer.
The unicode for VCL64 is an answer to the unicode problem but it will
cut considerable my market since I can only use unicode on 64 bit only
probably in 5 years this will be an irelevant point but today and for
the next 5 years people that need unicode on client or desktop
applications have one reasonable choise which can target both 32 and 64
bit hardware and this is 32 bit not 64bit.
At the same time there is no security that borland will create a 64 bit
compiler or a 64VCL so the answer for unicode support on VCL is Not in
the near future.
For me this meens nothing and is a smart way to actually say nothing in
more than one words.
Regards
Yannis.

Yannis writes:
The unicode for VCL64 is an answer to the unicode problem but it will
cut considerable my market since I can only use unicode on 64 bit only
probably in 5 years this will be an irelevant point but today and for
the next 5 years people that need unicode on client or desktop
applications have one reasonable choise which can target both 32 and
64 bit hardware and this is 32 bit not 64bit.

Dont be so negative. You will can use .NET for 32 bits and Win64 for 64
bits.
Donald

Re:Danny Thorpe on Unicode and VCL

Donald Shimoda writes:
Dont be so negative.
I always get a chuckle out of that phrase. Deliciously ironic <g>
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Donald Shimoda writes:

Dont be so negative. You will can use .NET for 32 bits and Win64 for
64 bits.
Yes I know I know,
At the same time I can use CLX on Win32 for unicode which is a far
better solution for my needs than .NET but some how I prefare VCL
over .NET and CLX at this point.
Wander why this is?
....hm
Regards
Yannis.

Yannis writes:
Donald Shimoda writes:

>Dont be so negative. You will can use .NET for 32 bits and Win64 for
>64 bits.

Yes I know I know,

At the same time I can use CLX on Win32 for unicode which is a far
better solution for my needs than .NET
See? Life is beatifoul.
Donald