Re: The sensible cash cow approach for the 'incredibly loyal' Delphi-ers

2005-08-17 07:31:54 AM
delphi89
Brian Moelk writes:
>I skipped Delphi 8 because it didn't meet my dev needs- I will do the same
>with future versions that don't meet my needs.
>
>It's as simple as that.

Agreed. Delphi 7 works fine for me. ;)
Cool.
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re: The sensible cash cow approach for the 'incredibly loyal' Delphi-ers

Joe Hendricks writes:
let's get practical...

- lock down a stable set of Delphi(your current version)
and third party vendor versions that are compatible

- stay there and 'milk' that combo for W32 development
over next 5 yrs

- wait on changed Delphi status from 'cash cow' before
upgrading Delphi again (and *hope* your fav Delphi third
party vendors are still interested in also upgrading)

- and keep a close eye on Lazarus
(www.lazarus.freepascal.org/),
and even contribute to it if you can find the time
this little cow has just about had it with the Delphi paddock and is eyeing off
that nice new green one over the fence.

Re: The sensible cash cow approach for the 'incredibly loyal' Delphi-ers

"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Where the heck do you get that idea? There have been great improvements
and features added in Delphi 2005 since Delphi 8 and Delphi 7.
Is the dramatic instability of Delphi 2005 one of those "features" ?

Re: The sensible cash cow approach for the 'incredibly loyal' Delphi-ers

Thomas Miller writes:
Delphi is in maintenance mode.
If enhancing Delphi like replacing the memory manager in DeXter, and
planning new features like .NET 2.0 support in Highlander means that
it's in maintenance mode, I would rather it be like that.
You're welcome to stop using Delphi anytime while the rest of us enjoy
the "maintenance".
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: The sensible cash cow approach for the 'incredibly loyal' Delphi-ers

>It's as simple as that.

Agreed. Delphi 7 works fine for me. ;)
Same here.
I have Delphi 8 and D2005 (through SA) but don't use D2005 much yet. Most of my
work is in D7.
For that matter, I don't see a whole load of difference between Delphi 6 and D7,
except perhaps support for XP themes.
Lauchlan M

Re: The sensible cash cow approach for the 'incredibly loyal' Delphi-ers

"Uffe Kousgaard" wrote
"Brian Moelk" wrote
>Perhaps we could sign a
>petition and try to get the shareholders to understand Delphi's
>significance...I don't know.

How many shares are there? Aren't we enough to buy Borland?
finance.yahoo.com/q/ks
There are 79,560,00 shares with a market cap. of $485,320,00 USD.
The current liquidity (cash equavlent) is $189,720,000 ($2.39 per share)
The Enterprise value is $295,600,000 ($3.72 per share)
During a buy-out it is normal to expect a preminum over the current stock price
which is $6.10 per share.
So exactly how many shares are you prepaired to buy today?
You can expect to see pigs flying long before a sucessful customer buy-out! ;-))

Re: The sensible cash cow approach for the 'incredibly loyal' Delphi-ers

The first sensible post in this thread in my opinion.
I only buy other things because they are value for money and appeal to me,
why would Delphi be any different?

Angra Mainyu writes:
You can expect to see pigs flying long
before a sucessful customer buy-out! ;-))
seems to have finally happened:
www.pigblast.com
:-)
--
JoeH
[ write a letter, save a life - www.amnesty.org ]

At 02:25:16, 17.08.2005, <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>Where the heck do you get that idea? There have been great
>improvements and features added in Delphi 2005 since Delphi 8 and
>Delphi 7.

Is the dramatic instability of Delphi 2005 one of those "features" ?
The compiler is remarkably stable, and so are the compiled programs. The
IDE may not be stable for everyone, but Borland have stated repeatedly
that they have learnt from that, and don't want to repeat that in the
next version, and that they have planned in a lot of extra time to assure
that.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"The President has kept all of the promises he intended to keep."

Re: The sensible cash cow approach for the 'incredibly loyal' Delphi-ers

Kevin,
Personally I will be buying the next version of Delphi that meets my
needs. If it has features I like at the right price I will buy it. I don't
personally care whether some author of some article thinks Borland regards
it as a "cash cow" or what anyone else thinks. :-)

I skipped Delphi 8 because it didn't meet my dev needs- I will do the same
with future versions that don't meet my needs.

It's as simple as that.
Bingo!
I'm tired of all these "I'm not going to stop using Delphi if they don't ...
"
posts.
We purchased D1, D2, D3, D4, D6, D7, D8, and D2005 and we've
so far skipped (other than experimenting) D1, D2, D6, D7, D8, and
D2005. i.e. we've only used D3, D4, and Delphi 7 in production. Not because
there was anything wrong with the products, but just because at the time
we started project X, the best version (of anything) out there was (at
the time) D3, D4, or D7.
If Borland wants to take money from Delphi and put it into other
developer tools -- code management, testing, application cycle
management, etc. -- fine. I wish them luck.
I remember a time when a lot of people were upset with Borland
for 'dumping' TPW for some weird Delphi system. I remember
thinking "What is that?". Until I saw D1 and the quantum leap it
represented. I honestly don't expect any quantum leaps in the IDE
or code arenas. After five years Delphi 7 is hardly light years ahead of
D4 -- just minor polishing. With .NET, most tools should end
up about equal. If Borland wants to think about the next
quantum leap... I don't fault them for looking 'out-of-the-box'.

Brett Watters writes:
...but just because at the time
we started project X, the best version (of anything) out there was (at
the time) D3, D4, or D7.
<snip>
If Borland wants to think about the next
quantum leap... I don't fault them for looking 'out-of-the-box'.
Good points. What if you were faced with starting a
3 yr project right now (as I am)? One that needed both
.Net and Win32 deployments. Wouldn't you find recent
statements by upper Borland management at least
a 'complicating' factor, along with Delphi 8 and D2005
initial release quality ?
I've always been in the 'stop the trolls posting
Delphi-is-dead' camp, but quite frankly my 2 clients
and I are seriously concerned about which way to go
forward after the shareholder mtg audio and that
reporter's interview...
Is it unreasonable to expect reassurance from top
management that they remain committed to releasing high
quality Delphi versions ?
I am reassured by both John and Anders' posts that such
top level reassurance is forthcoming, but really do think
this time the concern was intiated by the Borland CEO himself,
not trolling posters here...