Newbie Question on forms/frames

Help - I hope this is the best place to ask this question, and if not please
direct me to where I should ...

I'm a Delphi (v6) novice and am trying to code and application that looks
similar to Outlook. That is, a menu bar down the left and a "form" on the
right. Selecting an option from the menu bar should close the form currently
being displayed and then display a new, different form on the right hand
side. Similar in approach to Outlook when you can from viewing your contacts
to, say, viewing your inbox.

What is the best design method for doing this ? Should I be using Frames - a
frame for the menu (toolbar) and then a frame for eachy possible displayable
form ? How do I align these frames so that the menu ALWAYS appears on the
left and the main "form" on the right ? If I chose this method, could I size
the menu/form (just like you can in outlook) ? Where should I be looking to
read up on pointers to this subject ? If anyone can offer me an example of
this type of scenario with source, I would be forever grateful...

Re:Newbie Question on forms/frames

"cloz" <as...@for.me.email> wrote in message news:3c8754e0_2@dnews...
> Help - I hope this is the best place to ask this question, and if not
please
> direct me to where I should ...

> I'm a Delphi (v6) novice and am trying to code and application that looks
> similar to Outlook. That is, a menu bar down the left and a "form" on the
> right. Selecting an option from the menu bar should close the form
currently
> being displayed and then display a new, different form on the right hand
> side. Similar in approach to Outlook when you can from viewing your
contacts
> to, say, viewing your inbox.

> What is the best design method for doing this ? Should I be using Frames -
> frame for the menu (toolbar) and then a frame for eachy possible
displayable
> form ? How do I align these frames so that the menu ALWAYS appears on the
> left and the main "form" on the right ? If I chose this method, could I
size
> the menu/form (just like you can in outlook) ? Where should I be looking
> read up on pointers to this subject ? If anyone can offer me an example of
> this type of scenario with source, I would be forever grateful...

I don't think this is the correct place for these questions but...
You can do that with the frames, creating them dinamically when you select a
particular argument (like pressing a button on the bar) and then setting the
parent of the specific frame to the panel or scrollbox that shoud contain it
(probably one you will place at the right of the bar). The frame will appear
"contained"  in that area.
I know I've not been that clear, but if you need further infos contact me.
Ciao,
G.

Other Threads