Delphi v. Smalltalk

(It'd be nice if we had some sort of matrix of Delphi vs. the world on it
for a quick reference...)

The topic is: Delphi v. Smalltalk. Go.

Re:Delphi v. Smalltalk

<<Smalltalk.

smalltalk is dead.

learn java if you want to write server stuff.

learn delphi if you want win32 clients.

--
Steve Garland sgarl...@astatech.com
Code it once with ASTA and run it anywhere.

Re:Delphi v. Smalltalk

Chris Morris wrote:

> The topic is: Delphi v. Smalltalk. Go.

        How about apples vs. oranges?

        -Craig

--
Craig Stuntz            Vertex Systems Corporation
Senior Developer        http://www.vertexsoftware.com

Re:Delphi v. Smalltalk

"Craig Stuntz" <cstuntz@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com> wrote in message

> Chris Morris wrote:

> > The topic is: Delphi v. Smalltalk. Go.

> How about apples vs. oranges?

Apple = class(Fruit)
public
    Color := clRed;
    Shape := shRound;
    Taste := taLikeAnApple;
    OuterPeal := opEdible;
end;

Orange = class(Fruit)
public
    Color := clOrange;
    Shape := shRound;
    Taste := taLikeAnOrange;
    OuterPeal := opInedible;
end;

-- Robert Kozak (Borland)

Re:Delphi v. Smalltalk

Steve Garland wrote...
><<Smalltalk.

>smalltalk is dead.

I don't think so.

But others can fill you in on the details. Richard, where are you?
--
Rudy Velthuis

Re:Delphi v. Smalltalk

Goldfish v.s. Army Boots. Go
Chris Morris <chri...@workmail.com> wrote in message news:38d8fd26@dnews...
> (It'd be nice if we had some sort of matrix of Delphi vs. the world on it
> for a quick reference...)

> The topic is: Delphi v. Smalltalk. Go.

Re:Delphi v. Smalltalk

I've been learning Smalltalk for part of my degree course. It wouldn't displace
Delphi for real-world application development but it's a great language for
learning OOP. It seems pretty clean and pure so far...

--
John

Re:Delphi v. Smalltalk

Craig Stuntz wrote...
>Chris Morris wrote:

>> The topic is: Delphi v. Smalltalk. Go.

>    How about apples vs. oranges?

If you can compare Delphi vs. C++, or Delphi vs. VB, or Delphi vs.
Eiffel, why not Delphi vs. Smalltalk?
--
Rudy Velthuis

Re:Delphi v. Smalltalk

Not proper syntax I know but I was trying to be funny.

-- Robert Kozak (Borland)

"Robert Kozak (Borland)" <rko...@borland.com> wrote in message

> "Craig Stuntz" <cstuntz@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com> wrote in message
> > Chris Morris wrote:

> > > The topic is: Delphi v. Smalltalk. Go.

> > How about apples vs. oranges?

> Apple = class(Fruit)
> public
>     Color := clRed;
>     Shape := shRound;
>     Taste := taLikeAnApple;
>     OuterPeal := opEdible;
> end;

> Orange = class(Fruit)
> public
>     Color := clOrange;
>     Shape := shRound;
>     Taste := taLikeAnOrange;
>     OuterPeal := opInedible;
> end;

> -- Robert Kozak (Borland)

Re:Delphi v. Smalltalk

clcol...@mindspring.com (clayton collie) wrote in
<8bb5gm$k4...@bornews.borland.com>:

>Goldfish v.s. Army Boots. Go

Goldfish taste better but are horrible on long marches so who wins?

Wayne Menzie

Re:Delphi v. Smalltalk

John Topley wrote...
>I've been learning Smalltalk for part of my degree course. It wouldn't displace
>Delphi for real-world application development but it's a great language for
>learning OOP. It seems pretty clean and pure so far...

I'd call it OOP: object obsessed programming, since everything is an
object, even the code itself.

But really, I like the ideas behind it. It's a simple concept and yet
very powerful.
--
Rudy Velthuis

Re:Delphi v. Smalltalk

> On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:19:33 -0500, "clayton collie" <clcol...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Goldfish v.s. Army Boots. Go

Both are shiny.  Both have an even number of eyes.  Both smell bad after a
while.  Both can be eaten, if you're hungry enough.

;>)

--
Daniel J. Wojcik
http://www.genjerdan.com/

There is water at the bottom of the ocean

Re:Delphi v. Smalltalk

Rudy Velthuis wrote:

> Craig Stuntz wrote...
> >Chris Morris wrote:

> >> The topic is: Delphi v. Smalltalk. Go.

> >       How about apples vs. oranges?

> If you can compare Delphi vs. C++, or Delphi vs. VB, or Delphi vs.
> Eiffel, why not Delphi vs. Smalltalk?

        Or why not fruit, for that matter?

        All of the above pointless without some kind of practical grounding --
e.g., "I have to develop a new web browser for windows which can respond
to voice commands" or "I need a tool which handles class variables
intelligently." or "I need to choose a language to teach programming
with" or "I'll be writing an ISAPI server next month" or "I'm interested
in learning about how OO concepts are implemented in practical
lanugages," etc.  In all of these instances, comparing Delphi vs.
Smalltalk makes at least some sense.  Same with other languages.

        But without any kind of goal or basis for the comparison, it seems
pointless.

        FWIW, I tend to prefer oranges...

        -Craig

--
Craig Stuntz            Vertex Systems Corporation
Senior Developer        http://www.vertexsoftware.com

Re:Delphi v. Smalltalk

Craig Stuntz wrote...
>    FWIW, I tend to prefer oranges...

I like apples more.
--
Rudy Velthuis

Re:Delphi v. Smalltalk

GenJerDan wrote...
>> On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:19:33 -0500, "clayton collie" <clcol...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> Goldfish v.s. Army Boots. Go

>Both are shiny.  Both have an even number of eyes.  Both smell bad after a
>while.  Both can be eaten, if you're hungry enough.

LOL!

>There is water at the bottom of the ocean

Hmmm... reminds me of the Talking Heads, somehow. Great group!
--
Rudy Velthuis
Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

Other Threads