Encrypting text stored in inidividual database records

I am new to Delphi 2.0 (16-bit) but I was wondering if there are any built-in
tools or add-ons which will allow me to encrypt text that I am storing in a
table.  This will be a new table so I can deploy it in just about any "flavor"
such as Paradox 5.0 or any other types supported by Delphi.  In any case, I
would like my Delphi application to prompt the user for a password to decrypt
the text within the application only.  In other words, if someone else uses
Paradox (or some other application) to open the table, I do not want them to
be able to read the text as it will be highly sensitive in nature.  Also, if
possible, I would like to password protect individual records within the file.
 For example, someone might have the password to read records 1,2 and 4 but a
different password would be necessary to decrypt records 3 and 5.  Is this
possible or am I way out in left field on this one?  Although I am familiar
with a couple of encryption algorithms, I would really rather not write my own
code.  I would rather use something that is already in existence and tested.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have...
Jim

Re:Encrypting text stored in inidividual database records

Jim Coker wrote:

> I am new to Delphi 2.0 (16-bit) but I was wondering if there are any built-in
> tools or add-ons which will allow me to encrypt text that I am storing in a
> table.

In Paradox you can password-protect tables and fields, and I think
Paradox
then encrypts the table/field.  To protect records, I think you could
use
an extra column with a value for validation of access rights.

Aage J.

Other Threads