BDE 4.51 - how to lower DBase table type level

Configuration: Win95,D3.02,BDE 4.51

Problem:  After upgrading to BDE 4.51 creating DBase tables on the fly using
the CreateTable method with a field type of ftIntger causes a table type of
Visual DBase 7 to be created.  In the previous BDE I had a type DBase IV 2.0
was created.

The application creates these DBase tables for use by mailing house who can
only read DBase IV 2.0 tables.  I've tried lowering the DBase Type in the
BDEAdmin program, but to no effect.

I hate to go back to BDE 3.5!

Any ideas?

Thanks, Frank

Re:BDE 4.51 - how to lower DBase table type level

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 16:31:03 -0700, "Frank R. Andersen" <fra...@seanet.com>
wrote:

>The application creates these DBase tables for use by mailing house who can
>only read DBase IV 2.0 tables.  I've tried lowering the DBase Type in the
>BDEAdmin program, but to no effect.

>I hate to go back to BDE 3.5!

either go back to 3.5 or forward to 5.   BDE 4.5 is the version with the problem

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Re:BDE 4.51 - how to lower DBase table type level

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 03:53:53 GMT, BBus...@DataGuidance.com (Brian

Bushay TeamB) wrote:

>>I hate to go back to BDE 3.5!
>either go back to 3.5 or forward to 5.   BDE 4.5 is the version with the problem

Sorry to disagree with you Brian.  But I would advice *not* to forward
to BDE 5.  You can run into problems using large transactions (due to
the Paradox 'some internal limit' bug).  I'm working with dBase IV
tables using BDE 4.51.  In my experience this is by far the most
stable BDE version for dBase at this moment.  What problem are you
referring to?

Jan

Re:BDE 4.51 - how to lower DBase table type level

I had the same problem after upgrading to version 4.51.  Changing the
level to 5 worked for me.  Are you sure you changed all the correct
configuration files (CFG and CNF)?  Also check the TTable.TableLevel
property.

Concerning which BDE version is the best for dBase, see my message to
Brian.

Jan

<fra...@seanet.com> wrote:
>Configuration: Win95,D3.02,BDE 4.51

>Problem:  After upgrading to BDE 4.51 creating DBase tables on the fly using
>the CreateTable method with a field type of ftIntger causes a table type of
>Visual DBase 7 to be created.  In the previous BDE I had a type DBase IV 2.0
>was created.

>The application creates these DBase tables for use by mailing house who can
>only read DBase IV 2.0 tables.  I've tried lowering the DBase Type in the
>BDEAdmin program, but to no effect.

>I hate to go back to BDE 3.5!

>Any ideas?

>Thanks, Frank

Re:BDE 4.51 - how to lower DBase table type level

>Sorry to disagree with you Brian.  But I would advice *not* to forward
>to BDE 5.  You can run into problems using large transactions (due to
>the Paradox 'some internal limit' bug).  I'm working with dBase IV
>tables using BDE 4.51.  In my experience this is by far the most
>stable BDE version for dBase at this moment.  What problem are you
>referring to?

Using Delphi CreateTable with BDE 4.51 with some field types there is no way to
create a Dbase table at a level other than 7.  This is the question the user
asked about and the answer is to use any version other than 4.5x

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

<fra...@seanet.com> wrote:
>Configuration: Win95,D3.02,BDE 4.51

>Problem:  After upgrading to BDE 4.51 creating DBase tables on the fly using
>the CreateTable method with a field type of ftIntger causes a table type of
>Visual DBase 7 to be created.  In the previous BDE I had a type DBase IV 2.0
>was created.

Frank,

Checked again in my code to see why it works for me.  It appears that
I use the following rule for creating numeric fields:
- if the field length is 4 or less and has no decimals I use
ftSmallInt
- if the field length is larger than 4 or if the field has decimals I
use ftFloat
That's also what Delphi does when creating the fields automatically.

HTH

Jan

Other Threads