What are Delphi's Advantages?

I am considering buying Delphi, and I was wondering what it's
advantages are compared to C++.

At present, I'm using Borland C++ 4.02, and I will soon be getting
Symantec C++ 7.0 (or possibly Microsoft Visual C++, depending on the
decision of the management at the company I work for).

My development environment consists of Windows NT and Windows 95
on a 75 Mhz Pentium with an 850 MB hard drive and 16 MB of RAM.

Is there a 32 bit version of Delphi available?

If not,  is there a version in development, and what would its release
date be  (approximately) ?

Also, how well does Delphi integrate with C++ code under Windows?

Thanks for your time.

Brad Hein

------------------------------------
Brad Hein
Friley 3360 Noble
Ames, IA  50012
bh...@iastate.edu
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~bhein
------------------------------------

Re:What are Delphi's Advantages?

In article <3v35t8$...@news.iastate.edu>, <bh...@iastate.edu> writes:

> I am considering buying Delphi, and I was wondering what it's
> advantages are compared to C++.

You can develop applications a lot faster with Delphi than you can in C++.  The
language is a lot simpler than C++.  If you understand the OO constructs of C++,
Delphi should be a snap to learn.

> Is there a 32 bit version of Delphi available?

Not yet.

> If not,  is there a version in development, and what would its release
> date be  (approximately) ?

Sometime after Win95 ships.

> Also, how well does Delphi integrate with C++ code under Windows?

Depends what you mean.  It doesn't integrate at all with C++ code, however, it
does integrate with C code.  That means you have to declare your functions like:

// myheader.h

#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" {   // takes care of C++ caused name mangling.
#endif

WINAPI MyFunc();  // pascal calling convention works better
WINAPI MyOtherFunc();

#ifdef __cplusplus

}

#endif