Best Report Writer?

I have attempted to use a number of report writers and I am beginning to get
frustrated with each, but I don't really want to criticize any of them until
we get some feedback here (hopefully).

What is the best report writer for D3/4 and MS SQL Server 6.5 that will
allow the developer to store report definitions and call them dynamically?

Any thoughts will be sincerely appreciated!

Mark A. Deal
Document & Data Solutions, LLC

Re:Best Report Writer?

Hello Mark,

I'm using the Report Builder v3.5 and allow to store the report definitions
at a file or a blob field.

Their site is http://www.digital-metaphors.com/

They have a demo to download.

Fernando F Oliveira
ferna...@morelli.com.br_NOSPAM
Support Analist
Dental Morelli Ltda.
www.morelli.com.br

Mark A. Deal escreveu na mensagem <6ug3qq$7...@forums.borland.com>...

>I have attempted to use a number of report writers and I am beginning to
get
>frustrated with each, but I don't really want to criticize any of them
until
>we get some feedback here (hopefully).

>What is the best report writer for D3/4 and MS SQL Server 6.5 that will
>allow the developer to store report definitions and call them dynamically?

>Any thoughts will be sincerely appreciated!

>Mark A. Deal
>Document & Data Solutions, LLC

Re:Best Report Writer?

I've used Crystal in conjunction with Delphi and it works fairly well.  I've
some reservations with the designer, and most of the users that have asked
that we use it on their projects have then complained that it was too
difficult for them to use...what can you do?
Mike

Craig Stephens wrote in message <6uhc84$98...@forums.borland.com>...
>My experience is with Crystal Reports, unfortunately not in conjunction
with
>Delphi.  Crystal is a very good report writer, but the DLLs that support it
>leave a pretty big footprint.

>The Oct 98 issue of Delphi Informant has a lengthy article about it.

>Craig Stephens

> "Mark A. Deal" <md...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>I have attempted to use a number of report writers and I am beginning to
get
>>frustrated with each, but I don't really want to criticize any of them
until
>>we get some feedback here (hopefully).

>>What is the best report writer for D3/4 and MS SQL Server 6.5 that will
>>allow the developer to store report definitions and call them dynamically?

>>Any thoughts will be sincerely appreciated!

>>Mark A. Deal
>>Document & Data Solutions, LLC

Re:Best Report Writer?

My experience is with Crystal Reports, unfortunately not in conjunction with
Delphi.  Crystal is a very good report writer, but the DLLs that support it
leave a pretty big footprint.

The Oct 98 issue of Delphi Informant has a lengthy article about it.

Craig Stephens

 "Mark A. Deal" <md...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I have attempted to use a number of report writers and I am beginning to get
>frustrated with each, but I don't really want to criticize any of them until
>we get some feedback here (hopefully).

>What is the best report writer for D3/4 and MS SQL Server 6.5 that will
>allow the developer to store report definitions and call them dynamically?

>Any thoughts will be sincerely appreciated!

>Mark A. Deal
>Document & Data Solutions, LLC

Re:Best Report Writer?

We use Crystal too.  I find that the problems users have with
creating/modifying reports have to do with their not understanding the
complexity and links for their data ("Smart Linking" isn't too smart).
However, our clients who converted from our Dos product to our Windows
product are all very happy with Crystal because it's SO much easier to
use than R&R was <g!>

One of the things I really like about the latest VCL component from
Seagate for Crystal is that it's really easy to redirect the path to
the data using the alias.  Since each of our clients (80+) has their
system on a different path and Crystal stores the path to the data in
the reports themselves, this is very important.  If I weren't able to
do this, our client services folks would have to go into each of 150+
reports and specifically set the data path for each one every time we
install a new system.

-Dell

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 18:50:04 -0600, "Mike Mormando"

<m...@mormando.com> wrote:
>I've used Crystal in conjunction with Delphi and it works fairly well.  I've
>some reservations with the designer, and most of the users that have asked
>that we use it on their projects have then complained that it was too
>difficult for them to use...what can you do?
>Mike

>Craig Stephens wrote in message <6uhc84$98...@forums.borland.com>...
>>My experience is with Crystal Reports, unfortunately not in conjunction
>with
>>Delphi.  Crystal is a very good report writer, but the DLLs that support it
>>leave a pretty big footprint.

>>The Oct 98 issue of Delphi Informant has a lengthy article about it.

>>Craig Stephens

>> "Mark A. Deal" <md...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>>I have attempted to use a number of report writers and I am beginning to
>get
>>>frustrated with each, but I don't really want to criticize any of them
>until
>>>we get some feedback here (hopefully).

>>>What is the best report writer for D3/4 and MS SQL Server 6.5 that will
>>>allow the developer to store report definitions and call them dynamically?

>>>Any thoughts will be sincerely appreciated!

>>>Mark A. Deal
>>>Document & Data Solutions, LLC

Re:Best Report Writer?

Hello Mark,

I Use Crystal Report Pro 6 for reporting. It really the best tool I ever
seen to do reporting with Delphi. You can have screen Preview of the
report, Exporting in a variety of formats, like MS winword, Excel, HTML,
lotus, text files, Tab separated fiels.... and sure, print it on printers.
They have a very usefull VCL component (with source code) to add reporting
capabilities to your delphi apps.
You can change at runtime a lot of parameters like report formulas, groups
formula, location of the table....
The Crystal VCL is available on seagate Web site.

Steph.

--------------------------

Mark A. Deal <md...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<6ug3qq$7...@forums.borland.com>...

> I have attempted to use a number of report writers and I am beginning to
get
> frustrated with each, but I don't really want to criticize any of them
until
> we get some feedback here (hopefully).

> What is the best report writer for D3/4 and MS SQL Server 6.5 that will
> allow the developer to store report definitions and call them
dynamically?

> Any thoughts will be sincerely appreciated!

> Mark A. Deal
> Document & Data Solutions, LLC

Re:Best Report Writer?

I've also been using ReportBuilder and have been extremely satisfied with
its speed, but I have had SO many problems storing the templates in a SQL
Server 6.5 table.  Tech support keeps sending out patches, but I have yet to
get it to work and have resorted to storing the templates in their native
formats as ASCII text files.

However, the recent patches seem to have fixed most of the other problems I
was having.

I also just purchased ACE and the developer interface is VERY slick, but it
seems to run much slower than RBuilder.  I'm going to mess with it a little
more before I make any final determinations...may even help to read the
manual, something that RBuilder is SERIOUSLY lacking.

I've heard great things about Crystal, but even the Delphi Informant article
suggested that the Delphi support is minimal at best.

<6ug6b0$7u...@forums.borland.com>...

In article <6uhc84$98...@forums.borland.com>,
  steph...@netset.com (Craig Stephens) wrote:

> My experience is with Crystal Reports, unfortunately not in conjunction with
> Delphi.  Crystal is a very good report writer, but the DLLs that support it
> leave a pretty big footprint.

> The Oct 98 issue of Delphi Informant has a lengthy article about it.

> Craig Stephens

>  "Mark A. Deal" <md...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> >I have attempted to use a number of report writers and I am beginning to get
> >frustrated with each, but I don't really want to criticize any of them until
> >we get some feedback here (hopefully).

> >What is the best report writer for D3/4 and MS SQL Server 6.5 that will
> >allow the developer to store report definitions and call them dynamically?

> >Any thoughts will be sincerely appreciated!

> >Mark A. Deal
> >Document & Data Solutions, LLC

Hi, Have you ever plotted a scatter plot using Crystal report. If you can do
it then I believe you in that Crystal Report is good. But it turned out that
for such a simple and very popular task as plotting a scatter plot using two
columns of data in a table CAN NOT BE DONE. IT is interesting that you said
that it is good. Have you ever used other report writer before.