Copying a large SQL Server 7 table

What's the best way to copy large table (say 500,000 rows) from one SQL
Server 7 database to another?

These databases are on different servers and not networked.

I'm looking for something that will be operationally simple (not
requiring someone to perform a lot of steps) and reasonably fast.

Thanks,

Kevin

Re:Copying a large SQL Server 7 table

If you can use different names for the databases, do a backup on one server,
save to a media of some sort (tape, zip disk, CD) and restore the backup on
the other server. Once it is restored, run a script to import the table. You
could put the backup restore and import script into a DTS package to
simplify the operation.

It would be a lot simpler and faster if your servers were networked.
--

Alain Quesnel
cinqsanss...@compuserve.com

"Kevin Davidson" <jo...@qshq.com> wrote in message

> What's the best way to copy large table (say 500,000 rows) from one SQL
> Server 7 database to another?

> These databases are on different servers and not networked.

> I'm looking for something that will be operationally simple (not
> requiring someone to perform a lot of steps) and reasonably fast.

> Thanks,

> Kevin

Re:Copying a large SQL Server 7 table

     This is what I do.

     1. Create a DTS package on the source and destination
        machines to export / import the data to a text file.
     2. Execute the DTS package from within the application
        at the source.
     3. EMail the text file generated to the destination
        location and copy it to a specific folder.
     4. Execute the DTS package from within the delphi
        application to import the data.

      Once this is automated, very little user intervention
is required.

Sunil.

Kevin Davidson <jo...@qshq.com> wrote:
>What's the best way to copy large table (say 500,000 rows) from one SQL
>Server 7 database to another?

Other Threads