Creating variable names at runtime

I'm looking for a way to construct a variable name at run time.
I need to be able to select a variable out of a range of 64 without having to
write one giant case statement, thus I'm looking for a way to construct the
variablename at runtime (something like "rootname"+number, rootname1,
rootname2, etc.). The variable is a record structure, and I wan't to be able to
choose at runtime which variable within to read out of a created name thus
"record.rootname"+number.

Any one any ideas?

L.o.t.a.

Martijn

p.s. Someone has been playing around with my newsreader and changed my name.
   Please don't hold it against me.