Paradox 7 autoincrement

I'm switching from Access97 to Paradox7 for speed purposes. My
understanding is that Paradox's index files get corrupted quite often. In
addition when they are rebuilt the auto increment fields have different
numbers then before which will{*word*222}up any relationships dependent on that
field.  Is this still the case for Paradox 7.   I'm also considering going
to DBase. Is DBase as fast as Paradox7. Does it have the index problems,
escpecially in regards to the autoincrement fields?

John Kerns

Re:Paradox 7 autoincrement

On 14 May 1998 18:34:17 GMT, "John Kerns" <jke...@bankersbank.com>
wrote:

>I'm switching from Access97 to Paradox7 for speed purposes. My
>understanding is that Paradox's index files get corrupted quite often. In
>addition when they are rebuilt the auto increment fields have different
>numbers then before which will{*word*222}up any relationships dependent on that
>field.  Is this still the case for Paradox 7.   I'm also considering going
>to DBase. Is DBase as fast as Paradox7. Does it have the index problems,
>escpecially in regards to the autoincrement fields?

>John Kerns

The recent versions of TUTILITY have solved the problem with
renumbering autonumber fields during rebuild. I've personally not had
problems with autonumber fields (well, just once) but there are others
in this newsgroup that have gotten burned. Seems it's a good idea to
be cautious regardless of the database engine.

Steve F (Team B)

Re:Paradox 7 autoincrement

The problem with autoincrement fields being renumbered was fixed long ago, I
believe in version 3 of the BDE.

--
Bill

Re:Paradox 7 autoincrement

>I'm switching from Access97 to Paradox7 for speed purposes. My
>understanding is that Paradox's index files get corrupted quite often. In

There seem to be some people that have a lot of problems with this but in my use
of Paradox tables with applications I have seen very few problems with
corruption.

>addition when they are rebuilt the auto increment fields have different
>numbers then before which will{*word*222}up any relationships dependent on that
>field.  Is this still the case for Paradox 7.

This is not a problem with the Tutilty for 32bit BDE

>I'm also considering going
>to DBase. Is DBase as fast as Paradox7. Does it have the index problems,
>escpecially in regards to the autoincrement fields?

If you don't have autoincrement fields its hard to have any problems with them.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Re:Paradox 7 autoincrement

Steve
   What is Tutility and where can I get it?
Thanks

John Kerns

Re:Paradox 7 autoincrement

On 15 May 1998 14:34:40 GMT, "John Kerns" <jke...@bankersbank.com>
wrote:

>Steve
>   What is Tutility and where can I get it?
>Thanks

>John Kerns

It's the DLL that is needed for repair utilities to work. Go to the
Inprise web site @ www.inprise.com and follow your way to BDE Support.
You'll find it there with some code to link to it's functions. Make
sure you d/l the version that corresponds to the version of the BDE
you're using though!

Steve F (Team B)

Re:Paradox 7 autoincrement

Bill Todd (TeamB) schrieb:

> The problem with autoincrement fields being renumbered was fixed long ago, I
> believe in version 3 of the BDE.

> --

i' m using tutily for BDE 3.5 from 19.09.96 and this dll has the proplem with
autoincrement fields. after  i repair my tabels i look the number in the tabele
and then i patch the header in the table. I now thta's not the fine way but it
works.

greetings

manfred

Re:Paradox 7 autoincrement

It must have been version 4.0 where it was fixed.  As I said, I cannot
remember the version.

--
Bill

Re:Paradox 7 autoincrement

I have a application Delphi 3.0 C/S- Paradox on peer-to-peer network using
Autoincrment fields and it's very much problem. I don't know if you
applicaltion it's desktop?
I made any thing that recommend me, TI2989, etc.. but not function it.

John Kerns wrote:
> I'm switching from Access97 to Paradox7 for speed purposes. My
> understanding is that Paradox's index files get corrupted quite often. In
> addition when they are rebuilt the auto increment fields have different
> numbers then before which will{*word*222}up any relationships dependent on that
> field.  Is this still the case for Paradox 7.   I'm also considering going
> to DBase. Is DBase as fast as Paradox7. Does it have the index problems,
> escpecially in regards to the autoincrement fields?

> John Kerns

Other Threads