Delphi, VB, SQL Server, Linux

Hi,
        I teach in a technical college where we have traditionally
taught VB <> SQL Server. I would like to extend the envelope to
include:

Delphi <> SQL Server
Delphi <> Interbase
VB <> SQL Server
VB <> Interbase

We're hosting SQL Server 6.5 on NT4 and Interbase 4 on Linux. We'd be
happy to look at Interbase 5.5, but would still like to host it on a
Linux box.

I would hope that ODBC would be most consistent approach. Has anybody
attempted any of the above and do you have any suggestions or advice,

thanks,

        John Hampson

Re:Delphi, VB, SQL Server, Linux

I'm not sure I fully understood , but there is a free version of Interbase
running under Linux. Delphi application can access data using usual SQL
links method (best fitted), no ODBC needed.

--
Olivier Dahan
oda...@{*word*104}cable.fr

> Hi,
> I teach in a technical college where we have traditionally
> taught VB <> SQL Server. I would like to extend the envelope to
> include:

> Delphi <> SQL Server
> Delphi <> Interbase
> VB <> SQL Server
> VB <> Interbase

> We're hosting SQL Server 6.5 on NT4 and Interbase 4 on Linux. We'd be
> happy to look at Interbase 5.5, but would still like to host it on a
> Linux box.

> I would hope that ODBC would be most consistent approach. Has anybody
> attempted any of the above and do you have any suggestions or advice,

> thanks,

> John Hampson

Re:Delphi, VB, SQL Server, Linux

<<We'd be
happy to look at Interbase 5.5, but would still like to host it on a
Linux box.

The best way to get to Interbase is with components from www.ibobjects.com.
The best say to get to ms sql server is through odbc .

You may also want to look out our think client product ASTA which comes with
an AstaIbObjectsServer to get to Interbase and a pure odbc/pascal solution
using components from www.odbcexpress.com as our AstaOdbcServer.

Then you could write one client app using ASTA and deply against ANY
AstaServer where the client would need NO dll's or setup of any kind and the
Server would only require odbc (no bde) for ms sql server and gds32.dll (I
think that's the file) (no bde again) for Interbase.

--
Steve Garland sgarl...@astatech.com
Does your Database run on the Internet? It can!

Other Threads