Adding groups and icons to program manager

A while back there was a smnall discussion on how to add program groups
and icons to program manager.  The general consinsious was to use DDE.
Do anyone have any pointers on where to get more specifics on how this
is done?  FAQ's, sample code, ftp sites, etc would help a lot.

Brian "It's not obvious until I do it once" Hirt

Re:Adding groups and icons to program manager

Brian Hirt (hi...@oca.com) wrote:

: A while back there was a smnall discussion on how to add program groups
: and icons to program manager.  The general consinsious was to use DDE.
: Do anyone have any pointers on where to get more specifics on how this
: is done?  FAQ's, sample code, ftp sites, etc would help a lot.

: Brian "It's not obvious until I do it once" Hirt

Check out PROGMAN in the API help.

   /Johan...!

Re:Adding groups and icons to program manager

In article <460fuf$...@inet.up.ac.za>,
   Stefan Paetow <x3042...@Elise.ee.techpta.ac.za> wrote:

>I do agree. It states that you should be aware to not depend on Program
>Managar to add programs and -groups to your desktop. But try it anyway...

Yes, if someone's running another shell, or running Windows 95, it won't
(necessarily) work right. . . .

Kendall (painful experiences with that ;)

Johan Alveborg (w...@sophocles.algonet.se) wrote:

: Brian Hirt (hi...@oca.com) wrote:

: : A while back there was a smnall discussion on how to add program groups
: : and icons to program manager.  The general consinsious was to use DDE.
: : Do anyone have any pointers on where to get more specifics on how this
: : is done?  FAQ's, sample code, ftp sites, etc would help a lot.

: : Brian "It's not obvious until I do it once" Hirt

: Check out PROGMAN in the API help.

:    /Johan...!

Better yet, check out http://www.mindspring.com/~cityzoo/tips/progman.txt
It's got the source for exactly what you want.

Supin

Re:Adding groups and icons to program manager

>In article <46261q$...@news1.wolfe.net> Tom Clowers  writes:
>Chapter 31 of "Delphi Developer's Guide" from Borland Press
>covers this very well and is worth checking out.

>Tom Clowers
>t...@wolfenet.com

I have been trying to use DDE to update the program items in a
group from an editor program.  My goal is to be able to move
programs from one drive/directory to another without having to
update the corresponding program items one by one using the
Program Manager.

Using the RequestData method, I can retrieve the names of the
groups and then the information about each item in a selected
group.  Using the ExecuteMacro, I can do an AddItem to insert
an updated version of an item into the group, but I cannot delete
or replace an existing item.  I.e. after doing a DeleteItem(Name)
and AddItem(Name...), I have two items in the group, both with
the same Name, one of them being the updated version.  So, my
question is, How do I delete/replace a program item?

Rod

Other Threads