strange tp7 error on Pentium Computers

Hi,

I have an old turbo pascal program (without source code) which I used
to run in dos on a 486 without any problems.  When I tried again for
the first time in years on my pentium I ran into the famous CRT bug.
I was able to patch it using one the fix programs.  After fixing it,
the program opened normally without giving me the runtime 200 error,
but I encountered another problem.  The main menu of the program
requests the input of numbers 1 through 6 to enter into the different
options.  No matter what number I press, the program will not
recognize the number, and gives me an error message that I entered a
non-valid choice.  Other parts of the program which require typing in
something seem to recognize my keystrokes accurately, but not the main
menu.  The same program still runs fine on an old 486 laptop which I
still have around, but will not work properly on the pentiums.  What
is more interesting, I tested the program even on an old slow pentium
I, 90 mhz, and it still doesn't work to recognize the numbers of the
main menu.  Unlike the CRT bug which was confined to faster pentiums,
like the pentium II, this bug will not work on any pentium, even the
slowest ones, but it works fine on the old 486.  Any ideas on what I
could do to solve the program?  I would not go to all this trouble,
but I really need this old program for a certain task, and I have not
found a replacement for it.  I thought of trying to run it on some
sort of emulator like the one's used for old games.  Perhaps there is
some other way around the problem, or a patch, and if anyone has any
ideas, I would be very appreciative.

Michael

Re:strange tp7 error on Pentium Computers

"Michael Krauss" <mmac...@actcom.co.il> schreef in bericht

> Hi,

> I have an old turbo pascal program (without source code) which I used
> to run in dos on a 486 without any problems.  When I tried again for
> the first time in years on my pentium I ran into the famous CRT bug.
> I was able to patch it using one the fix programs.  After fixing it,
> the program opened normally without giving me the runtime 200 error,
> but I encountered another problem.  The main menu of the program
> requests the input of numbers 1 through 6 to enter into the different
> options.  No matter what number I press, the program will not
> recognize the number, and gives me an error message that I entered a
> non-valid choice.  Other parts of the program which require typing in
> something seem to recognize my keystrokes accurately, but not the main
> menu.  The same program still runs fine on an old 486 laptop which I
> still have around, but will not work properly on the pentiums.  What
> is more interesting, I tested the program even on an old slow pentium
> I, 90 mhz, and it still doesn't work to recognize the numbers of the

The first PC was even faster than that. Normally the RTE 200 error
occurs on PC's faster than 233 MHz.
Or do you mean 1.9 GHz. I would not call that a slow pentium.

> main menu.  Unlike the CRT bug which was confined to faster pentiums,
> like the pentium II, this bug will not work on any pentium, even the
> slowest ones, but it works fine on the old 486.  Any ideas on what I
> could do to solve the program?  I would not go to all this trouble,
> but I really need this old program for a certain task, and I have not
> found a replacement for it.  I thought of trying to run it on some
> sort of emulator like the one's used for old games.  Perhaps there is
> some other way around the problem, or a patch, and if anyone has any
> ideas, I would be very appreciative.

> Michael

I make menu driven programs in BP that run even on a 2.4 GHz P4.
What patch did you use for the RTE 200? There is a lot of rubbish on the
market. See the FAQ in this group.
It could well be a programming error, but it is hard to tell withoiut
code.

--
Femme

Re:strange tp7 error on Pentium Computers

JRS:  In article <cc2e8fd6.0304061612.5e685...@posting.google.com>, seen
in news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, Michael Krauss <mmac...@actcom.co.il>
posted at Sun, 6 Apr 2003 17:12:08 :-

>I have an old turbo pascal program (without source code) which I used
>to run in dos on a 486 without any problems.  When I tried again for
>the first time in years on my pentium I ran into the famous CRT bug.
>I was able to patch it using one the fix programs.

but which one?

>  After fixing it,
>the program opened normally without giving me the runtime 200 error,
>but I encountered another problem.  The main menu of the program
>requests the input of numbers 1 through 6 to enter into the different
>options.  No matter what number I press, the program will not
>recognize the number, and gives me an error message that I entered a
>non-valid choice.

Some Crt fixes replace the Crt unit; others modify it.

Direct keyboard input probably uses the Crt unit.

Perhaps you made a bad choice of fix; which was it?  I hope you retained
unfixed copies.

Also : if you were to say what the program is, it might be possible to
suggest an alternative.

  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt>  RAH Prins : c.l.p.b. mFAQ;

Re:strange tp7 error on Pentium Computers

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.  I used a German program called patchdel to
fix the problem.  Many of the patches I found did not fix the problem,
and this one fixed the problem and got the program to load and run
normally until the main menu, where it does not recognize the numbers
entered.  This program is a custom made graphing and plotting program
which uses a special format for the data files which was never
updated, and there is no direct replacement available.  I may have to
rewrite our software to produce a different output such as a simple
ASCII file, but in the meantime, I am trying to see if I can get the
old one going, the fixes would involve a lot of work in may separate
programs.  I tried all sort of ideas to work on it.  I download a
slowdown program which slows down the effective cpu rate, the sort
that's used for old games.  If I use it on the original unpatched,
exe, I can get the program to work at a certain slowdown, to bring the
eff cpu below 200 mhz, where I no longer get to runtime error 200
message on loading the program, but the other problem does not go
away.  I tried using a keyboard macro program to see if I could send
the keystroke numbers into the program via this, perhaps it would
recognize these, but also did not work.  I have tested both the
patched and unpatched version on three different pentiums, a 90 mhz
pentium I, a 300 mhz Pentium II, and my 2K Pentium 4.  The some
problem with the keystoke recognition on all of them.  But, it works
fine on an old 486.

Michael

Re:strange tp7 error on Pentium Computers

Why don't you post the code part here which checks for keyboard input
for the main menu?

Greetings

Markus

Re:strange tp7 error on Pentium Computers

Markus,

I don't have the source code of the program, just the executable.

mmac...@actcom.co.il (Michael Krauss) wrote in message <news:cc2e8fd6.0304090459.529a9b52@posting.google.com>...
> Markus,

> I don't have the source code of the program, just the executable.

What's the size of the executable?

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins
pr...@bigfoot.com

Re:strange tp7 error on Pentium Computers

Robert,

Executable is pretty small, 224 Kb.

Michael

Other Threads