MS SQL7.0 Text Data types > 255

I have posted a question similar to this about a month ago.  I am using
MS SQL 7 and Delphi 4.0 C/S and have all the latest updates.  I am
trying to have basically a memo field in the database and have my
application recognize it as such.  So far I have had no luck.

I am using a TDatabase component and have just the basics of it set up.
I do not have a (LANGUAGE DRIVER= ) specified, should I?  I am assuming
that the bde is using the SQL Links (DLL) drivers that is installed with
Delphi C/S.  Am I thinking correctly?  Any help would much be
appreciated.

Thanks..Gerry

Re:MS SQL7.0 Text Data types > 255

Gerald Benusa wrote:

> I have posted a question similar to this about a month ago.  I am using
> MS SQL 7 and Delphi 4.0 C/S and have all the latest updates.  I am
> trying to have basically a memo field in the database and have my
> application recognize it as such.  So far I have had no luck.

> I am using a TDatabase component and have just the basics of it set up.
> I do not have a (LANGUAGE DRIVER= ) specified, should I?  I am assuming
> that the bde is using the SQL Links (DLL) drivers that is installed with
> Delphi C/S.  Am I thinking correctly?  Any help would much be
> appreciated.

> Thanks..Gerry

If the fieldtype in SQL is defined as Text, shouldn't you bea able to
get and set data using .AsMemo ???

Rkr
--

                   \|||/
                   /'^'\

Re:MS SQL7.0 Text Data types > 255

>I have posted a question similar to this about a month ago.  I am using
>MS SQL 7 and Delphi 4.0 C/S and have all the latest updates.  I am
>trying to have basically a memo field in the database and have my
>application recognize it as such.  So far I have had no luck.

The SQL Links driver for MS-SQL uses Microsoft's DB-LIB interface.
Microsoft did not upgrade DB-LIB to support the new data types available in
SQL 7.  Not only does Microsoft want to kill off DB-LIB, they also want to
kill off ODBC.  Hopefully Delphi 5 will address this issue; in the mean time
there are 3rd party solutions available using ADO/OLE DB.

-Mike

Re:MS SQL7.0 Text Data types > 255

Reid,

I tried using the .AsMemo method and it didn't seem to work for me.  I will
investigate again.  Do you have an example of you doing this successfully.

Thanks...Gerry

Reid Roman wrote:
> Gerald Benusa wrote:

> > I have posted a question similar to this about a month ago.  I am using
> > MS SQL 7 and Delphi 4.0 C/S and have all the latest updates.  I am
> > trying to have basically a memo field in the database and have my
> > application recognize it as such.  So far I have had no luck.

> > I am using a TDatabase component and have just the basics of it set up.
> > I do not have a (LANGUAGE DRIVER= ) specified, should I?  I am assuming
> > that the bde is using the SQL Links (DLL) drivers that is installed with
> > Delphi C/S.  Am I thinking correctly?  Any help would much be
> > appreciated.

> > Thanks..Gerry

> If the fieldtype in SQL is defined as Text, shouldn't you bea able to
> get and set data using .AsMemo ???

> Rkr
> --

>                    \|||/
>                    /'^'\
>                   ( 0 0 )
> --------------oOOO--(_)--OOOo--------------
> . Reid Roman                              .
> . Programmer / Analyst                    .
> . TVisualBasic := Class(None)             .
> . May the Source be With You              .
> . Auto-By-Tel (http://www.autobytel.com)  .
> . Irvine, CA U.S.A                        .
> . E-Mail : rkroman (at) home (dot) com    .

Re:MS SQL7.0 Text Data types > 255

Re:MS SQL7.0 Text Data types > 255

Mike,

Thanks for the information.  Do you have a URL to some third party tools (ADO)?

Thanks...Gerry

Gerald Benusa wrote:

> Mike,

> Thanks for the information.  Do you have a URL to some third party tools (ADO)?

> Thanks...Gerry

> Mike Williams wrote:

> > >I have posted a question similar to this about a month ago.  I am using
> > >MS SQL 7 and Delphi 4.0 C/S and have all the latest updates.  I am
> > >trying to have basically a memo field in the database and have my
> > >application recognize it as such.  So far I have had no luck.

> > The SQL Links driver for MS-SQL uses Microsoft's DB-LIB interface.
> > Microsoft did not upgrade DB-LIB to support the new data types available in
> > SQL 7.  Not only does Microsoft want to kill off DB-LIB, they also want to
> > kill off ODBC.  Hopefully Delphi 5 will address this issue; in the mean time
> > there are 3rd party solutions available using ADO/OLE DB.

> > -Mike

Try http://www.Kamiak.com

Rkr
--

                   \|||/
                   /'^'\
                  ( 0 0 )
--------------oOOO--(_)--OOOo--------------
. Reid Roman                              .
. Programmer / Analyst                    .
. TVisualBasic := Class(None)             .
. May the Source be With You              .
. Auto-By-Tel (http://www.autobytel.com)  .
. Irvine, CA U.S.A                        .
. E-Mail : rkroman (at) home (dot) com    .

Re:MS SQL7.0 Text Data types > 255

>Thanks for the information.  Do you have a URL to some third party tools

(ADO)?

Here's another:

http://www.{*word*104}magic.co.nz/adonis/

Other Threads