Delphi 5 + Oracle advice needed

The Oracle ODBC drivers have not had a great reputation over the years.  You are
much better off looking at a solution for Oracle that does not involve ODBC.
Direct Oracle Access is an excellent solution.  I have absolutly nothing but
compliments for it.  My early testing for the OLE DB driver for Oracle with ADO
vs the BDE is that the BDE SQL Links (with Enterprise) out performs it fairly
easily.  DOA out performs the BDE by a 5x margin for the most part.  If you do
not need the cross backend capabilities that the BDE or ADO provide you should
seriously look at DOA.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
Have you ever met a lady screaming angst potential?

Re:Delphi 5 + Oracle advice needed

[...]

Microsoft has a good Oracle ODBC Driver
Jeff Overcash (TeamB) <overc...@onramp.net> wrote in message
> The Oracle ODBC drivers have not had a great reputation over the years.
You are
> much better off looking at a solution for Oracle that does not involve
ODBC.
> Direct Oracle Access is an excellent solution.  I have absolutly nothing
but
> compliments for it.  My early testing for the OLE DB driver for Oracle
with ADO
> vs the BDE is that the BDE SQL Links (with Enterprise) out performs it
fairly
> easily.  DOA out performs the BDE by a 5x margin for the most part.  If
you do
> not need the cross backend capabilities that the BDE or ADO provide you
should
> seriously look at DOA.

> Carl Caulkett wrote:

> > Hi all,

> > I have been asked to find out what is needed to extract information from
> > an Oracle database and manipulate it in Delphi. No changes need to be
> > made to the Oracle data.

> > The Oracle database in question is version 7.3.4. I am waiting to find
> > out the platform it runs on.

> > I am using Delphi 5 Pro, but I am unclear whether I need to upgrade.
Some
> > messages I have seen seem to suggest that the BDE can communicate with
> > Oracle via ODBC. I have noticed the option for the Microsoft Oracle ODBC
> > drive in the BDE admin applet.

> > I have checked Kyle Cordes BDE alternatives site and there are 6 third
> > party packages that seem to work with Oracle. One of these, ODBC Express
> > seems to have received many good words on the b.p.d.database.desktop
> > newsgroup. The others are: AdoSolutio, Direct Oracle Access, Oracle Data
> > Access, Oracle Data Access Components, and SQL Direct. Should I be
> > looking at one of these?

> > The other alternatives, as far as I can see, would be either upgrading
> > the ADO addon from Borland or going the whole hog and moving up to
> > Enterprise.

> > If anyone can suggest the best and/or most cost effective approach I
> > would be very grateful.

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Carl

> --
> Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
>       (Please do not email me directly unless  asked. Thank You)
> Have you ever met a lady screaming angst potential?
> Have you ever dreamed of romance no matter how experimental?
> Have you ever felt an alien drifting back into your hometown?
> Did you think you were buying safety when you bought that piece of ground?
>              (Fish)
> --

Other Threads