Password, data protection dBase tables

Hello!

I want to set a password on a dBase table at lowest level, in
DatabaseDesktop7.
There is a Menu choise at Tools - Passwords, but I don't understand what it
does or how to connect the password to a certain table. The Add button only
clears the entered password. Am I misunderstanding something here?
The help file for this is not available, so I'm stuck.
Would appreciate some help with this one. I want to protect the data and
don't know how to use the best methods.

Thanks in advance.
--
Regards
Kai Inge

{When I realized the difference between estimated time used and real time
used - I realized that the life is going to be too short.}

Re:Password, data protection dBase tables

Kai Inge Buseth wrote:
> I want to set a password on a dBase table at lowest level, in
> DatabaseDesktop7.
> There is a Menu choise at Tools - Passwords, but I don't understand what it
> does or how to connect the password to a certain table. The Add button only
> clears the entered password. Am I misunderstanding something here?
> The help file for this is not available, so I'm stuck.
> Would appreciate some help with this one. I want to protect the data and
> don't know how to use the best method.

Both DBD and its big-brother, Paradox, use the concept of a "key ring"
for handling passwords.  You can "add passwords" to the ring, remove
one, or remove them all.  When you attempt to do a table operation, you
must have the appropriate passwords on your key-ring to succeed.

Adding and removing passwords from a table is done by restructuring the
table; it is one of the options on the pull-down list in that dialog
box.

As for how well that protects the data, it is up for you to decide.  The
protection mechanisms of dBase and Paradox are "cryptographically
non-existent," yet they do accomplish their basic purpose of scrambling
information so that it cannot be easily recovered by a casual
interloper.

Re:Password, data protection dBase tables

Hello and thanks for the answer.

However, this option is obviously not available for the version of BDE that
ships with Delphi 3.0.
The pull-down list of the restructure form has only two items: Indexes and
Table language. The menu on tools has the Password property, but it just
clear the edit field after input a password. No confirm for typing errors
etc.
But now I found a encryption program (freeware) on Borland Delphi Site
which seems to suit my needs so far. The best would have been if I could
programmatically encrypt and decrypt the dBase tables in runtime.
--

Sundial Services <i...@sundialservices.com> wrote in article
<365C3178....@sundialservices.com>...

> Kai Inge Buseth wrote:

> > I want to set a password on a dBase table at lowest level, in
> > DatabaseDesktop7.
> > There is a Menu choise at Tools - Passwords, but I don't understand
what it
> > does or how to connect the password to a certain table. The Add button
only
> > clears the entered password. Am I misunderstanding something here?
> > The help file for this is not available, so I'm stuck.
> > Would appreciate some help with this one. I want to protect the data
and
> > don't know how to use the best method.

> Both DBD and its big-brother, Paradox, use the concept of a "key ring"
> for handling passwords.  You can "add passwords" to the ring, remove
> one, or remove them all.  When you attempt to do a table operation, you
> must have the appropriate passwords on your key-ring to succeed.

> Adding and removing passwords from a table is done by restructuring the
> table; it is one of the options on the pull-down list in that dialog
> box.

> As for how well that protects the data, it is up for you to decide.  The
> protection mechanisms of dBase and Paradox are "cryptographically
> non-existent," yet they do accomplish their basic purpose of scrambling
> information so that it cannot be easily recovered by a casual
> interloper.

Other Threads