Client/Server App and Proxy

Hi.  I'm writing a small, simple, Client/Server Chat Room app.  It will connect and communicate via TCP communication.

The problem I have is this:

I want to run the server app on my computer at school and connect to it from another computer at another location.

The computer at school is on a VPN (virtual private network) behind a firewall.  I obviously have no access to the
firewall but there are open ports that I can use.  The school uses about 10-20 IP Address that are live to the internet.
All of the computers on the VPN have their own IP address but they are not live, they have internet access through the
proxy.

Is there anyway to send a command to the proxy/firewall to pass the message on to an IP address in the VPN?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--
Thank you,

Josh Breitbach
Breit Technologies