Imported Constraints from Access 2000 mdb using ADO?

Does anyone know how you can import the data constraints set in an Access
2000 mdb through ADO. I have a complex application dealing with baby
heights, weights, feeds, medicines etc and looking for the right place to
set min and max values. Should they be put in Access, should they be put in
a table in the mdb file that the app reads at run-time (setting the relevant
TField min and max values), or should they just be set on the edit control.
I would have liked to give the end users (e.g. Nurses and Doctors) the
ability to edit these min and max details in the future on their own without
re-coding (so the latter option does seem impossible!).

Any thoughts anyone?

David

Re:Imported Constraints from Access 2000 mdb using ADO?

From what you have described it would sound like the best place (and
typically) to put these values in the Registry not in the database. Read the
registry settings on start-up and save the values (if or test to see if
they've changed) before the application closes. In your app you should then
have a simple dialog to let the user change these values.

"David Smith" <david.sm...@lonsdale.co.uk> wrote in message

> Does anyone know how you can import the data constraints set in an Access
> 2000 mdb through ADO. I have a complex application dealing with baby
> heights, weights, feeds, medicines etc and looking for the right place to
> set min and max values. Should they be put in Access, should they be put
in
> a table in the mdb file that the app reads at run-time (setting the
relevant
> TField min and max values), or should they just be set on the edit
control.
> I would have liked to give the end users (e.g. Nurses and Doctors) the
> ability to edit these min and max details in the future on their own
without
> re-coding (so the latter option does seem impossible!).

> Any thoughts anyone?

> David

Re:Imported Constraints from Access 2000 mdb using ADO?

Have a look at the openSchema method of the adoConnection to extract
database constraints. We display them in our browser both in the standard
schema and in the OpenSchema GUI built into it.

--
Michael Collier
www.adoanywhere.com

> Does anyone know how you can import the data constraints set in an Access
> 2000 mdb through ADO. I have a complex application dealing with baby
> heights, weights, feeds, medicines etc and looking for the right place to
> set min and max values. Should they be put in Access, should they be put
in
> a table in the mdb file that the app reads at run-time (setting the
relevant
> TField min and max values), or should they just be set on the edit
control.
> I would have liked to give the end users (e.g. Nurses and Doctors) the
> ability to edit these min and max details in the future on their own
without
> re-coding (so the latter option does seem impossible!).

> Any thoughts anyone?

> David

Re:Imported Constraints from Access 2000 mdb using ADO?

>should they be put in
>a table in the mdb file that the app reads at run-time (setting the relevant
>TField min and max values),

That is probably how I would handle it.  Using a lookup table will allow each
installation to customize the values
--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com