screen page count differs from printed page count

My report is 719 pages long on screen, and shows that result when using the
Prepare method to get the page count prior to printing.  Unfortunately, the
actual printed copy is 25 pages shorter; each printed page seems to have a
line or two more capacity compared to the screen.  What am I missing?
Thanks.

Re:screen page count differs from printed page count

By your attention to detail you are not missing a thing!  ;-)

What you are seeing is the effects of rounding when calculating the screen
resolution as opposed to the printing resolution.  I am surprised that it is
as far off as 3%.  The only way I can think of to help, is use a different
font for your report.   Perhaps using Courrier you can make the page numbers
come closer.  Unfortunately with reports this large, you will probably not
get an exact count match.

Sorry for the limitation.

Tom Nesler

J O Holloway <johollo...@aep.com> wrote in message

> My report is 719 pages long on screen, and shows that result when using
the
> Prepare method to get the page count prior to printing.  Unfortunately,
the
> actual printed copy is 25 pages shorter; each printed page seems to have a
> line or two more capacity compared to the screen.  What am I missing?
> Thanks.

Re:screen page count differs from printed page count

It's the problem that the report use the screen resolution to create a META
canvas wich isn't connected to the actual printer driver. This means the
META canvas uses the 96 DPI setting and the actual printer output uses the
printer resolution wich is lets say 300DPI. Now when you render something
like a page it can be that the calculated height of a Band results in X dots
on the 96DPI canvas and Y Dots in the PrinterCanvas. All this results in a
rounding problem. I don't know what version of QR your using but if you're
using prior then 3.0.4 or 3.0.5 then you should download the latest because
there was a small fix for this in. The problem isn't gone completely but
it's a bit better now. I think the problem can disapear completely when the
META canvas is connected to the actual Printer Canvas before it's rendered
then the META canvas copies the settings of the Printer and no rounding
problems are there anymore. This isn't easy because in the QR sources there
are constants used wich goes out from a 96 DPI META canvas. I've tried it a
while back and came close but i've stopped with it because it cost to many
time. Perhaps you can ask this to QuSoft to get fixed.

--

Greetings Andre Mens

www.mensand.com QReport Artist EndUser report designer

Re:screen page count differs from printed page count

Tom and Andre described the source of the problem in details. Now I want to
offer a solution. All the controls from our AltQRPrintable components set
(except that prints RTF) provide WYSIWYG output and therefore equivalent
number of pages in preview and printout. Really You need to replace controls
with AutoStretch = True only, because only these controls is actual source
of this problem. One of the reports in AltQRPrintable's demo application
especially devoted to this issue. You can download trial version from our
web site http://www.project-info.all.ru/pisoft .

Sincerely,
Alex Ivanenko,
Project-Info

J O Holloway <johollo...@aep.com> wrote in message

> My report is 719 pages long on screen, and shows that result when using
the
> Prepare method to get the page count prior to printing.  Unfortunately,
the
> actual printed copy is 25 pages shorter; each printed page seems to have a
> line or two more capacity compared to the screen.  What am I missing?
> Thanks.

Other Threads