Ultra fast database???

Hi

We have a delphi program working with dbase tables. The performance was good
until now. But we now have several 100 tausends of records to process and
the performance is really deteriorating. So we are looking for a faster and
easier solution...

We have to build a table index what actually is extremly slow.

We use the standard delphi BDE to access the dbase tables. It would be nice
if we could avoid the BDE.
1) Is there any known FAST native delphi component to access BIG dbase
tables (with index support)?

2) Is there any other FASTER desktop database than dbase?

Thanks,
Peter, p...@binf.ch

Re:Ultra fast database???

"Peter Br?nnimann" <p...@binf.ch> wrote in news:39a8fc9b_1@dnews...
> Hi

> We have a delphi program working with dbase tables. The performance was
good
> until now. But we now have several 100 tausends of records to process and
> the performance is really deteriorating. So we are looking for a faster
and
> easier solution...

Where is the database stored: on the local hard disk or on a network device?
If you are accessing a local database, look at DBISAM. Elevate Soft has a
comparison between DBISAM and some other systems
(http://www.elevatesoft.com/benchmrk.htm). If you are accessing the database
via network, you should try a (dedicated, if possible) database server, like
Interbase.

Ralf

Re:Ultra fast database???

Check out Advantage (http://www.advantagedatabase.com). It's a true
client/server solution that works with DBF files. It's very, very fast, due
in no small part to it's optimized filters. Also, all the routines that you
currently run over the network wire will now all happen on the server,
removing index corruption and increasing speed. It's also easy to port to.
In addition, it supports a native file format (ADT) that offers rich data
types, similar to Paradox. The support is excellent.

--
Tim Sullivan
Unlimited Intelligence Limited

"Peter Br?nnimann" <p...@binf.ch> wrote in message news:39a8fc9b_1@dnews...
> Hi

> We have a delphi program working with dbase tables. The performance was
good
> until now. But we now have several 100 tausends of records to process and
> the performance is really deteriorating. So we are looking for a faster
and
> easier solution...

> We have to build a table index what actually is extremly slow.

> We use the standard delphi BDE to access the dbase tables. It would be
nice
> if we could avoid the BDE.

> 1) Is there any known FAST native delphi component to access BIG dbase
> tables (with index support)?

> 2) Is there any other FASTER desktop database than dbase?

> Thanks,
> Peter, p...@binf.ch

Re:Ultra fast database???

Rather than simply suggest a product to you, Peter, I think that the
proper response should be, "why do you think that 'performance was good
until now?'"  Is the problem that building an index on a table with
"hundreds of thousands of records" is slow?  If that is the case --
every product on the planet might well exhibit similar behavior.
100,000 records is a lot of stuff...

Observe the program with a performance-monitor next time it runs, to see
what it is doing and, if you can, what it is waiting on.  What
constraint is slowing it down.  If the performance degredation is
"sudden" or "recent," as you imply, then perhaps the problem can be
fixed by throwing money at it.

Otherwise, perhaps we can use technology.  For instance, table-indexing
can sometimes be sped up by sorting the records in key-sequence before
you build the index.  Some bulk data-operations can be done *without* an
index if you know that the data is sorted a certain way.  (COBOL
programs did that for forty years...)  When your data volume reaches
this level, issues like that become very essential.

The basic constraint usually is "disk drive activity," and indexed-file
operations can generate a lot of it.  Think along those lines before you
decide to "throw out the baby with the bathwater."

>Peter Br?nnimann wrote:
> We have a delphi program working with dbase tables. The performance was good
> until now. But we now have several 100 tausends of records to process and
> the performance is really deteriorating. So we are looking for a faster and
> easier solution...

> We have to build a table index what actually is extremly slow.

Re:Ultra fast database???

Hi Peter,

We had the same problems with speed and index corruption. We got the Advantage
Database Server (http://www.advantagedatabase.com/) which runs on the desktop,
NetWare, and NT. It solved all of our database problems without using the BDE.

HTH,

Ken

"Peter Br?nnimann" wrote:
> Hi

> We have a delphi program working with dbase tables. The performance was good
> until now. But we now have several 100 tausends of records to process and
> the performance is really deteriorating. So we are looking for a faster and
> easier solution...

> We have to build a table index what actually is extremly slow.

> We use the standard delphi BDE to access the dbase tables. It would be nice
> if we could avoid the BDE.

> 1) Is there any known FAST native delphi component to access BIG dbase
> tables (with index support)?

> 2) Is there any other FASTER desktop database than dbase?

> Thanks,
> Peter, p...@binf.ch

  kbrumback.vcf
< 1K Download

Re:Ultra fast database???

Peter...

We have apps that process thousands of records nightly.  We tried several
other DB products and nothing has been faster than Advantage.  We cut
processing time down to 1/10 of what it was with other products.  I was VERY
impressed.

www.AdvantageDatabase.com

Andy.

"Peter Br?nnimann" <p...@binf.ch> wrote in message news:39a8fc9b_1@dnews...
> Hi

> We have a delphi program working with dbase tables. The performance was
good
> until now. But we now have several 100 tausends of records to process and
> the performance is really deteriorating. So we are looking for a faster
and
> easier solution...

> We have to build a table index what actually is extremly slow.

> We use the standard delphi BDE to access the dbase tables. It would be
nice
> if we could avoid the BDE.

> 1) Is there any known FAST native delphi component to access BIG dbase
> tables (with index support)?

> 2) Is there any other FASTER desktop database than dbase?

> Thanks,
> Peter, p...@binf.ch

Re:Ultra fast database???

There's nothing wrong with the BDE, IME.  Optimizing your index expressions
to eliminate duplicate keys will normally speed things up dramatically.

I'd also avoid queries and use SetRange wherever possible.

Paul / ColumbuSoft
www.columbusoft.com

Peter Br?nnimann <p...@binf.ch> wrote in message news:39a8fc9b_1@dnews...
> Hi

> We have a delphi program working with dbase tables. The performance was
good
> until now. But we now have several 100 tausends of records to process and
> the performance is really deteriorating. So we are looking for a faster
and
> easier solution...

> We have to build a table index what actually is extremly slow.

> We use the standard delphi BDE to access the dbase tables. It would be
nice
> if we could avoid the BDE.

> 1) Is there any known FAST native delphi component to access BIG dbase
> tables (with index support)?

> 2) Is there any other FASTER desktop database than dbase?

> Thanks,
> Peter, p...@binf.ch

Other Threads