GNU pascal question

I have source for gpc 2.0, and have been trying (without success) to
compile it on our SPARC. We have gcc 2.8.1 installed on the machine,
and I think this is the problem, since when I run ./configure, I get a
message to the effect that the configure script wants gcc 2.7.1, NOT
2.8.1.

Is there anyway to override this? Why shouldn't the "newer" compiler
be OK to use. Heck, I even tried a global replace of 2.7.1 to 2.8.1 in
ALL the gpc files, and the thing still won't compile.

Any suggestions/pointers to the obvious welcome.

Evan Cooch
co...@sfu.ca
Evan Cooch
co...@fraser.sfu.ca
"He wears the linens just like Garbo
And talks at a saturnine pace
Listening to the strange notes marvel
Only giving what it takes..."
                    - The Germs

Re:GNU pascal question

In <3609a75e.28944...@newsserver.sfu.ca>,

Evan Cooch <co...@fraser.sfu.ca> wrote:
> I have source for gpc 2.0, and have been trying (without success) to
> compile it on our SPARC. We have gcc 2.8.1 installed on the machine,
> and I think this is the problem, since when I run ./configure, I get a
> message to the effect that the configure script wants gcc 2.7.1, NOT
> 2.8.1.

> Is there anyway to override this? Why shouldn't the "newer" compiler
> be OK to use. Heck, I even tried a global replace of 2.7.1 to 2.8.1 in
> ALL the gpc files, and the thing still won't compile.

Since parts of the GPC code are based on and/or directly tied to GCC
code, changes in GCC that happened between 2.7.x and 2.8.x are relevant
to GPC. The latest GPC versions (alpha and beta, but probably already
more stable than 2.0 :-) work with GCC 2.8.x (and no more with 2.7.x).
You can find them at ftp://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/gnu-pascal/alpha/

--
Frank Heckenbach, frank@[NOSPAM.REMOVE.THIS]pascal.gnu.de
Internet links:  http://fjf.gnu.de/

Re:GNU pascal question

On 28 Apr 1998 08:29:51 GMT, d...@spam.me (Frank Heckenbach) wrote:

>In <3609a75e.28944...@newsserver.sfu.ca>,
>Evan Cooch <co...@fraser.sfu.ca> wrote:

>Since parts of the GPC code are based on and/or directly tied to GCC
>code, changes in GCC that happened between 2.7.x and 2.8.x are relevant
>to GPC. The latest GPC versions (alpha and beta, but probably already
>more stable than 2.0 :-) work with GCC 2.8.x (and no more with 2.7.x).
>You can find them at ftp://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/gnu-pascal/alpha/

>--

Danke - I'll give it a try.
Evan Cooch
co...@fraser.sfu.ca