BDE alternative and direct Ttable access (was Very slow access)

"Bill Todd" <b...@notthis.dbginc.com> a crit dans le message news: tobdru8ad3423tr04aicqg3vbir8uqc...@4ax.com...
> Sorry. I did not notice that you are not the person who asked the
> original question. As you can see, trying to deal with two different
> questions in the same thread is very confusing.
>On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:30:24 +0200, "vt" <v...@example.com> wrote:

>>I don't want to be intrusive since I am not the one who initiated the thread...
>>My problem is that we maintain several apps written in D3 to D6 and based
>>on BDE - Paradox - DBase tables. The tables are local and the apps
>>are mono-user as far as this aspect is concerned. Table size is generally
>>not an issue (no table is bigger than 1GB), but because of the performance
>>issue you mention, TTable / SetRange / FindKey /BatchMove etc. were
>>often used instead of sql queries.
>>I don't know yet to what alternative to migrate, although I am considering
>>InterBase.

>Why do you want to migrate?

    Mostly because Borland is abondoning the BDE.
    Problems like the 2GB boundary disk space error
    indicate that the BDE is not evolving in sync with
    hw and sw configurations.

>What do you hope to accomplish?

    Port my company's apps to a fully supported BDE alternative
    with as little code rewrite as possible.

>Will your apps always be single user?

    No, but the multi-user part is distinct and not yet written,
    so there is no migration issue here.

Re:BDE alternative and direct Ttable access (was Very slow access)

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:22:06 +0200, "vt" <v...@example.com> wrote:

>"Bill Todd" <b...@notthis.dbginc.com> a crit dans le message news: tobdru8ad3423tr04aicqg3vbir8uqc...@4ax.com...
>> Sorry. I did not notice that you are not the person who asked the
>> original question. As you can see, trying to deal with two different
>> questions in the same thread is very confusing.
>>On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:30:24 +0200, "vt" <v...@example.com> wrote:

>>>I don't want to be intrusive since I am not the one who initiated the thread...
>>>My problem is that we maintain several apps written in D3 to D6 and based
>>>on BDE - Paradox - DBase tables. The tables are local and the apps
>>>are mono-user as far as this aspect is concerned. Table size is generally
>>>not an issue (no table is bigger than 1GB), but because of the performance
>>>issue you mention, TTable / SetRange / FindKey /BatchMove etc. were
>>>often used instead of sql queries.
>>>I don't know yet to what alternative to migrate, although I am considering
>>>InterBase.

>>Why do you want to migrate?
>    Mostly because Borland is abondoning the BDE.
>    Problems like the 2GB boundary disk space error
>    indicate that the BDE is not evolving in sync with
>    hw and sw configurations.

>>What do you hope to accomplish?
>    Port my company's apps to a fully supported BDE alternative
>    with as little code rewrite as possible.

>>Will your apps always be single user?
>    No, but the multi-user part is distinct and not yet written,
>    so there is no migration issue here.

InterBase is a great SQL database server and will be even better when
IB 7 ships later this quarter. However, migrating a Paradox app that
uses TTable extensively to any SQL database server requires
substantial changes to convert to query components if you want good
performance. If you want minimize the conversion effort take a look at
Advantage Database Server. The local server is free and the full
server is reasonably priced but best of all converting Paradox apps is
about as easy as it can be. For other alternatives see
www.kylecordes.com.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:BDE alternative and direct Ttable access (was Very slow access)

http://www.advantagedatabase.com
Bill Todd wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:22:06 +0200, "vt" <v...@example.com> wrote:

>>"Bill Todd" <b...@notthis.dbginc.com> a crit dans le message news: tobdru8ad3423tr04aicqg3vbir8uqc...@4ax.com...

>>>Sorry. I did not notice that you are not the person who asked the
>>>original question. As you can see, trying to deal with two different
>>>questions in the same thread is very confusing.

>>>Why do you want to migrate?

>>   Mostly because Borland is abondoning the BDE.
>>   Problems like the 2GB boundary disk space error
>>   indicate that the BDE is not evolving in sync with
>>   hw and sw configurations.

>>>What do you hope to accomplish?

>>   Port my company's apps to a fully supported BDE alternative
>>   with as little code rewrite as possible.

>>>Will your apps always be single user?

>>   No, but the multi-user part is distinct and not yet written,
>>   so there is no migration issue here.

> InterBase is a great SQL database server and will be even better when
> IB 7 ships later this quarter. However, migrating a Paradox app that
> uses TTable extensively to any SQL database server requires
> substantial changes to convert to query components if you want good
> performance. If you want minimize the conversion effort take a look at
> Advantage Database Server. The local server is free and the full
> server is reasonably priced but best of all converting Paradox apps is
> about as easy as it can be. For other alternatives see
> www.kylecordes.com.

> --
> Bill (TeamB)

Re:BDE alternative and direct Ttable access (was Very slow access)

DBISAM   www.elevatesoft.com

They have a nice transfer utility that you can use to convert all your
paradox tables and contents to DBISAM tables.

Client Server version is simple to implement.

Support is excellent too!!

In article <MPG.18272f61f456c393989...@newsgroups.borland.com>,
nospam_jere...@extendsys.com says...

>   Keep in mind this is more of a middle-ware solution, not true
> client/server.

PS - I should probably clarify before I start an un-wanted flame war.
First, I think DBISAM is a fine product. What I meant to state is from
what I've heard (not tried myself), I don't think the "client/server"
version shares one table handle between multiple users, manages locking
internally (vs getting OS locks), implements read-through index locking,
etc. like other client/server engines do.

Re:BDE alternative and direct Ttable access (was Very slow access)

In article <3db72db...@newsgroups.borland.com>, "Andy Law" <andy AT
daal.co.uk> says...

> DBISAM   www.elevatesoft.com

> They have a nice transfer utility that you can use to convert all your
> paradox tables and contents to DBISAM tables.

  As does Advantage.

> Client Server version is simple to implement.

  Keep in mind this is more of a middle-ware solution, not true
client/server.

Other Threads