BDE/Paradox Application moving to BDE/SQL Links

Hi,

Does anyone know of any resources about or have any experience with using a
multiuser application that was originally designed around BDE and Paradox
tables and using it with BDE and SQL Links? The nature of the database
access in the application is now very "navigational". A lot of SetRange,
First, Next, Next until EOF. What is the impact of that type of design when
used through SQL Links against Oracle or SQL Server?

We are willing to optimize the code as needed, but are trying to decide
where to focus our energies. Any guidance or experience would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!

Greg Sohl
Cedar Rapids, IA

Re:BDE/Paradox Application moving to BDE/SQL Links

Well, there are probably 2 things that the majority of the people will tell
you viz: -

1. Drop the BDE - rather look for a native componet suite for your database
alternatively, use ADO.

2. Drop TTable and only use TQuery components!

IMHO, Delphi may be RAD and the BDE might let you simply change drivers but
in reality that surely is'nt the case. Coding for Paradox and Coding for a
Client/Server database are 2 different issues - especially if you wish to
achieve maximum benefit from the Database. Some redesign of tables might
also be needed.

If you choose to go Oracle then, from my own experience, do not even
consider the BDE. Rather select ODAC from Core Lab (www.crlab.com) or  DOA
from AllroundAutomations (www.allroundautomation.com) Personally I use ODAC
from Core Lab and it works well for me. DOA is also a fine product and has
had many good reports.

As for SQL Server, a lot of people tend to use ADO but Core Lab has since
released a native connectivity suite as well.

I'm not sure whether any of this actually helps, probably makes your task
harder. But, wait and see what other have to say.

Regards

Campbell

"forums.inprise.com" <gs...@freedomgroup.com.noreply> wrote in message

> Hi,

> Does anyone know of any resources about or have any experience with using
> multiuser application that was originally designed around BDE and Paradox
> tables and using it with BDE and SQL Links? The nature of the database
> access in the application is now very "navigational". A lot of SetRange,
> First, Next, Next until EOF. What is the impact of that type of design
when
> used through SQL Links against Oracle or SQL Server?

> We are willing to optimize the code as needed, but are trying to decide
> where to focus our energies. Any guidance or experience would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks!

> Greg Sohl
> Cedar Rapids, IA

Re:BDE/Paradox Application moving to BDE/SQL Links

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:21:13 -0600, "forums.inprise.com"

<gs...@freedomgroup.com.noreply> wrote:
>Does anyone know of any resources about or have any experience with using a
>multiuser application that was originally designed around BDE and Paradox
>tables and using it with BDE and SQL Links? The nature of the database
>access in the application is now very "navigational". A lot of SetRange,
>First, Next, Next until EOF. What is the impact of that type of design when
>used through SQL Links against Oracle or SQL Server?

First of all, neither Oracle nor SQL Server nor any other SQL-oriented
server will be very good at handling this very "navigational" kinda
stuff - that's dBase/Paradox legacy, won't translate all that nicely
into client/server / SQL land .....

If you want to stick to a desktop-type database, like Paradox, I'd
suggest you look into the various offerings, like DBISAM, FlashFiler,
or Advantage DB Server.

If you want to and need to get onto a "serious" platform like SQL
Server or Oracle, first of all, I'd also consider Interbase as an
option!

Secondly, forget about the BDE - it's a beast in its last days, and
won't ever be developed any further. Either commit to one database
system and then select the best way to access it (for Oracle, look at
ODAC and Direct Oracle Access, for SQL Server look at ADO or other
third=party components, for Interbase look at IBExpress etc., or have
a look at dbExpress in Delphi 6 for mySQL, Oracle, Interbase and soon
SQL Server).

There ain't no easy way to keep up - it'll cost you time and effort,
but it'll be worth it, no matter which path you choose. Just remember:
the BDE is dead, long live the BDE - but don't start any new
development using the BDE !

MArc

Marc Scheuner                                          Software Engineer
Quest Software Canada                       Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Email: marc.scheu...@quest.com                      http://www.quest.com

Re:BDE/Paradox Application moving to BDE/SQL Links

I think you hit the nail on the head and...

#1 Learn SQL
#2 Know your RDBMS.  Learn to write your own stored procedures, triggers,
views, etc.  Learn how your RDBMS stores data, allocates resources, utilizes
indexes, etc.  Get books, take training courses, and if you can afford it,
check out BorCon (http://www.borland.com/conf2002)   Mark Miller's "Dark
Side" alone will be worth the trip.
#3 Let the server do the work (kinda' goes with #2).  If the work can be
done on the server, let the server do it.  I've learned it makes my life a
lot easier if I can centralize business logic on the server (triggers,
stored procedures, views, rules, etc) instead of trying to remember where I
put that little piece of Delphi code I wrote 9 months ago.

Notice I mentioned nothing about Delphi.  Delphi is simply the tool (you
already know how to use the tool), your the carpenter, and the RDBMS is the
piece of wood.

Good luck,
krf

Campbell Fuller <campbe...@bearingman.co.za> wrote in message

> I'm not sure whether any of this actually helps, probably makes your task
> harder. But, wait and see what other have to say.

Re:BDE/Paradox Application moving to BDE/SQL Links

Thanks Campbell, Kevin and Marc for your input. I'm definitely on the same
page as you that rewriting the database access methodology is the way to go.
I'd already decided that. TQuery, yep. TStoredProc, yep. I'm all about that.

However, for this older application, I'm considering, using SQL Links as a
stop-gap measure while that rewrite is being performed.

Do you have any direct experience in using SQL Links with an application of
this nature and what was the effectiveness of that?

Greg Sohl
Cedar Rapids, IA

Re:BDE/Paradox Application moving to BDE/SQL Links

>> for this older application, I'm considering, using SQL Links as a

stop-gap measure while that rewrite is being performed.

I wholeheartedly agree with what the others have said.

If you are going to have to go to all of the work that it will take to
replace your navigational Paradox db access methods with TQuery, etc.,
you should SERIOUSLY consider just getting rid of the BDE while you are
at it.  It will take you a bit longer up front, but it will be a lot
easier to rewrite your database access layer once rather than chaning to
to SQL based and then removing the BDE.

David R.

Other Threads