Great Visual Studio deal for students ($15)

I just saw an adverti{*word*224}t in our (Slovene) computer magazine Monitor:
MS is offering Visual Studio 6 (Professional, I believe) to students
for just $15. That's 12 beers here. BTW, Delphi 5 standard costs $130,
BC++B Std costs $130, JBuilder Std costs $130 (which all together is a lot
of beers).

Are this kind of deals common in the rest of the world ? If so, Borland
will have to give their D5 (and BC++B Std and JBuilder Std) Std away
for free for students if they wanted to stay in the game.

David Mok.

Re:Great Visual Studio deal for students ($15)

David Mok wrote:
> Are this kind of deals common in the rest of the world ? If so, Borland
> will have to give their D5 (and BC++B Std and JBuilder Std) Std away
> for free for students if they wanted to stay in the game.

The borland sampler CD that came free with BCB5 would be ideal for this
kind of thing.  You get the enterprise editions of Delphi 5/CBuilder 5
and JBuilder 3.5 on 60 day trial, and full licenses for the BCB command
line compiler and JBuilder Foundation edition (both free downloads).
Great promotional tool, but useless unless we get them onto the street.
Why don't we see them covermounted on magazines, for instance?

AlisdairM

David Mok wrote:

> I just saw an adverti{*word*224}t in our (Slovene) computer magazine Monitor:
> MS is offering Visual Studio 6 (Professional, I believe) to students
> for just $15. That's 12 beers here. BTW, Delphi 5 standard costs $130,
> BC++B Std costs $130, JBuilder Std costs $130 (which all together is a lot
> of beers).

Those are normal Borland prices, not student pricing.  If you want to compare
the two at least compare student pricing to student pricing.  Borland isn't
goign to be able to match MS' pricing since they don't have other product lines
to subsidize the tools line like MS, but the Student pricing is a large break in
price compared to normal pricing.  (D5 ent is $399 student vs $2499 non student
US)

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
Maybe it was infatuation or the thrill of the chase.

Re:Great Visual Studio deal for students ($15)

I (being a poor college student) am 100% thankfull for student pricing for all
products (borland and microsoft's).
But recently I've noticed that most of Borlands products (aside from JBuilder) are
disappearing(as in not being stocked) from the shelves here.  And that's saying alot
since the software department at {*word*269}ia tech is gigantic.
My personal opinion is that maybe you could do somehting like microsoft does, where
instead of offering the standard product at a reduced rate just offer
the cd of the product (no printed docs or anythign else) and maybe even stipulations
that you aren't able to sell programs compiled with the product off of the cd, and
offer it for a cost of 10 bucks or so.  I think this would be a great boon for
schools.  And I love borland products so I know that I personally would love it
also.

Just my $.02,

thanks

"Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" wrote:
> David Mok wrote:

> > I just saw an adverti{*word*224}t in our (Slovene) computer magazine Monitor:
> > MS is offering Visual Studio 6 (Professional, I believe) to students
> > for just $15. That's 12 beers here. BTW, Delphi 5 standard costs $130,
> > BC++B Std costs $130, JBuilder Std costs $130 (which all together is a lot
> > of beers).

> Those are normal Borland prices, not student pricing.  If you want to compare
> the two at least compare student pricing to student pricing.  Borland isn't
> goign to be able to match MS' pricing since they don't have other product lines
> to subsidize the tools line like MS, but the Student pricing is a large break in
> price compared to normal pricing.  (D5 ent is $399 student vs $2499 non student
> US)

> > David Mok.

> --
> Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
>       (Please do not email me directly unless  asked. Thank You)
> Maybe it was infatuation or the thrill of the chase.
> Maybe you were always beyond my reach and my heart was playing safe.
> But was that love in your eye I saw or the reflection of mine?
> Give me time, won't you give me that time!
> Welcome back to the circus.            (Fish)

Re:Great Visual Studio deal for students ($15)

 Also, I can recommend to sell software in another country (like Russia :))
for symbolic price for private use.
 Now, for example, you can buy _legal_ games from western company (like 3DO)
for 2$ (two dollars).
 And people buying it, instead of another games for 50$ (gigantic sum for
Russia)

--
with best regards,
  Ilya Andreev AKA Andre

"Chris Morrisette" <cmorr...@vt.edu> wrote in message

> I (being a poor college student) am 100% thankfull for student pricing for
all
> products (borland and microsoft's).
> But recently I've noticed that most of Borlands products (aside from
JBuilder) are
> disappearing(as in not being stocked) from the shelves here.  And that's
saying alot
> since the software department at {*word*269}ia tech is gigantic.
> My personal opinion is that maybe you could do somehting like microsoft
does, where
> instead of offering the standard product at a reduced rate just offer
> the cd of the product (no printed docs or anythign else) and maybe even
stipulations
> that you aren't able to sell programs compiled with the product off of the
cd, and
> offer it for a cost of 10 bucks or so.  I think this would be a great boon
for
> schools.  And I love borland products so I know that I personally would
love it
> also.

> Just my $.02,

> thanks

> "Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" wrote:

> > David Mok wrote:

> > > I just saw an adverti{*word*224}t in our (Slovene) computer magazine
Monitor:
> > > MS is offering Visual Studio 6 (Professional, I believe) to students
> > > for just $15. That's 12 beers here. BTW, Delphi 5 standard costs $130,
> > > BC++B Std costs $130, JBuilder Std costs $130 (which all together is a
lot
> > > of beers).

> > Those are normal Borland prices, not student pricing.  If you want to
compare
> > the two at least compare student pricing to student pricing.  Borland
isn't
> > goign to be able to match MS' pricing since they don't have other
product lines
> > to subsidize the tools line like MS, but the Student pricing is a large
break in
> > price compared to normal pricing.  (D5 ent is $399 student vs $2499 non
student
> > US)

> > > David Mok.

> > --
> > Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
> >       (Please do not email me directly unless  asked. Thank You)
> > Maybe it was infatuation or the thrill of the chase.
> > Maybe you were always beyond my reach and my heart was playing safe.
> > But was that love in your eye I saw or the reflection of mine?
> > Give me time, won't you give me that time!
> > Welcome back to the circus.            (Fish)

Re:Great Visual Studio deal for students ($15)

Sheez....I'm thinking of becoming a temporary student again.  A couple
hundred to take a Comp Sci course, plus $399 comes to alot less than $2499.

Really Borland/Inprise, do you expect to ever make real inroads into the dev
tools market with thousand-dollar price tags?  At least for that price, give
the whole suite!!!

AJ

Re:Great Visual Studio deal for students ($15)

Probably wouldn't help you because with a student licence, IIRC, you cannot
create commercial apps.

-- Robert Kozak (Borland)

"AJ" <nos...@noemail.com> wrote in message news:38e24f08@dnews...
> Sheez....I'm thinking of becoming a temporary student again.  A couple
> hundred to take a Comp Sci course, plus $399 comes to alot less than
$2499.

> Really Borland/Inprise, do you expect to ever make real inroads into the
dev
> tools market with thousand-dollar price tags?  At least for that price,
give
> the whole suite!!!

> AJ

Re:Great Visual Studio deal for students ($15)

Saying how much Microsoft is better at supporting students is not fair.
Borland has been aggressive (far more so than Microsoft) in the education
market for years.  How many of us purchased Turbo Pascal in the school store
as it was required for our class.  If Borland is backing down from that
prior commitment (I have been out of school for sometime), then perhaps that
should be looked into.  However, we all need to thank Borland for helping us
get that head start years back.

Re:Great Visual Studio deal for students ($15)

> Probably wouldn't help you because with a student licence, IIRC, you
cannot
> create commercial apps.

Why?  Does it compile differently?  Does the app require the IDE to run?

AJ

In article <38e24f08@dnews>, Aj wrote:
> Really Borland/Inprise, do you expect to ever make real inroads into the dev
> tools market with thousand-dollar price tags?  At least for that price, give
> the whole suite!!!

Borland won't reveal figures but ISTR that a while back JohnK did say that the
C/S version is responsible for more than 50% of the Delphi revenue.

Tony Bryer  SDA UK

AJ <nos...@noemail.com>:

> > Probably wouldn't help you because with a student licence, IIRC, you
> cannot
> > create commercial apps.

> Why?  Does it compile differently?  Does the app require the IDE to run?

No. There's no real difference between the executables. However, when
accepting the licence agreement, you confirm that you will not deploy
commercial applications written with the product.

I don't know if there is some checking in the VCL (like there is for the
Standard version so that you cannot use any MIDAS components with it).

Regards,

Sebastian Moleski

Ilya Andreev AKA Andre wrote:

>  Also, I can recommend to sell software in another country (like Russia :))
> for symbolic price for private use.
>  Now, for example, you can buy _legal_ games from western company (like 3DO)
> for 2$ (two dollars).
>  And people buying it, instead of another games for 50$ (gigantic sum for
> Russia)

And more importantly, they're buying the original instead of lining the pockets
of a pirate. $2 may not seem like much, but it's still $2 more than nothing,
which
is what they'd probably have received selling HOMM3 or whatever at $50
in Russia!

Maybe a good move for Borland would be to make older systems like D3/4 or
BCB3/4 available to people in lower-wage countries for a nominal price - after
all,
they've been giving them away with UK programming mags, and UK programmers
have a lot more money than somebody in Bulgaria, Angola, or Bangladesh.
These may not be the newest and latest features-wise, but they're still great
tools,
and people can still write superb software with them. Obviously, at these prices
the
licensing would be strictly for non-commercial applications, but it would still
foster mind-share in countries which could end up being quite important markets
in the future.

Re:Great Visual Studio deal for students ($15)

> > Why?  Does it compile differently?  Does the app require the IDE to run?

> No. There's no real difference between the executables. However, when
> accepting the licence agreement, you confirm that you will not deploy
> commercial applications written with the product.

I knew that, but was pointing out that there's no real mechanism to prevent
such an app from being released commercially.  It's just a bad strategy.

AJ

Re:Great Visual Studio deal for students ($15)

Maybe.  And about 2% of licenses, since it costs 25 times as much as Std.  I
don't remember any dev tools 10 yrs ago that sold for $2500!

AJ

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 07:07:29 GMT, david.m...@+writeme.com (David Mok) wrote:
>I just saw an adverti{*word*224}t in our (Slovene) computer magazine Monitor:
>MS is offering Visual Studio 6 (Professional, I believe) to students
>for just $15. That's 12 beers here. BTW, Delphi 5 standard costs $130,
>BC++B Std costs $130, JBuilder Std costs $130 (which all together is a lot
>of beers).

>Are this kind of deals common in the rest of the world ? If so, Borland
>will have to give their D5 (and BC++B Std and JBuilder Std) Std away
>for free for students if they wanted to stay in the game.

The problem runs deeper than that. Visual C++ does not comply with the C++
standard. It is based on an old working draft, long out of date. Companies,
students, and universities that are using Visual C++ mistakenly believe they are
using standard C++. They are wrong. If they try to port their software to
another compiler, it might not compile, forcing them to stick with Visual C++ as
the only compiler left that compiles their out-of-date code.

--
Ray Lischner, author of Delphi in a Nutshell
http://www.tempest-sw.com/nutshell

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads