Access 97 MDB file - ADO Jet 4 OLE DB

I am getting an error
"Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider.
Cannot start your application.  The workgroup information file is missing
or opened exclusively by another user."

Can I access "Access 97 MDB" file using ADO ?

I want to use same TADOConnection to connect to
Access 97 MDB file and Access 2000 MDB file.

Thanks,
Ashok

Re:Access 97 MDB file - ADO Jet 4 OLE DB

double check nobody else has the mdb open (eg in Access)
if there is an LDB file try deleting it.
Can you open the mdb using Access ?

"Ashok" <as...@ureach.com> wrote in message

> I am getting an error
> "Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider.
> Cannot start your application.  The workgroup information file is missing
> or opened exclusively by another user."

> Can I access "Access 97 MDB" file using ADO ?

> I want to use same TADOConnection to connect to
> Access 97 MDB file and Access 2000 MDB file.

> Thanks,
> Ashok

Re:Access 97 MDB file - ADO Jet 4 OLE DB

Andrew,

It was not issue of file open.
In Delphi 7, I was trying to create
Connection string using "Build" button
and
I was seeting Password for Database in wrong place
(on the same screen with Build button).
Actually you have to set the password using "All" tab
which appears in the next screen when you click "Build" button.

After you click "All" tab, double click on
Database password and set password here.
Now "Test Connection" works.
I was confused because my database is in Acces 97 format.
I did not want to convert to Access 2000.
Now I will be able to connect to bot Access 97 and Access 2000.

Thanks,
Ashok

Re:Access 97 MDB file - ADO Jet 4 OLE DB

> > I am getting an error
> > "Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider.
> > Cannot start your application.  The workgroup information file is
missing
> > or opened exclusively by another user."

Andrew,

It was not an issue of file open.
In Delphi 7, I was trying to create
Connection string using "Build" button
and
I was setting Password for Database in the wrong place
(on the same screen with Build button).
Actually you have to set the password using "All" tab
which appears in the next screen when you click "Build" button.

After you click "All" tab, double click on
Database password and set password here.
Now "Test Connection" works.
I was confused because my database is in Acces 97 format.
I did not want to convert to Access 2000.
Now I will be able to connect to both Access 97 and Access 2000.

Ashok wrote:
> I am getting an error
> "Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider.
> Cannot start your application.  The workgroup information file is missing
> or opened exclusively by another user."

> Can I access "Access 97 MDB" file using ADO ?

> I want to use same TADOConnection to connect to
> Access 97 MDB file and Access 2000 MDB file.

> Thanks,
> Ashok

Make sure that "Jet OLEDB:System database="    is configured for the
correct .mdw file, usually system.mdw

--
Pierre
Final Filer Software