Recommend Book For Making "Drawing Program"-like Graphics

I am writing a fairly involved drawing program and have very little
experience with graphics.  Could some persons here recommend some titles
that would help?  They need not be Delphi-specific though that would be
nice since I expect to use the VCL 100% so that this application can be
ported to Linux in the future.  I am at home with the Win API, just I've
never done much with graphics or fonts.  Thank you guys.  Seems like
there aren't many women Delphi programs for some reason.

Re:Recommend Book For Making "Drawing Program"-like Graphics

> I am writing a fairly involved drawing program and have very little
> experience with graphics.  Could some persons here recommend some titles
> that would help?  They need not be Delphi-specific though that would be

OpenGL is also portable to Linux, takes advantage of hardware
accelleratation where available and is a graphics industry standard. My
book, Delphi Developers' Guide to OpenGL can ease you into computer
graphics. See link below.

> nice since I expect to use the VCL 100% so that this application can be
> ported to Linux in the future.  I am at home with the Win API, just I've

VCL would still have to be converted to CLX when you port to Linux, but if
you upgrade to Delphi 6, you can start with CLX instead of VCL, and only
have to recompile when you port to Linux, with little or no code changes at
all.
> never done much with graphics or fonts.  Thank you guys.  Seems like
> there aren't many women Delphi programs for some reason.

Interesting. Where I worked for four years, until a few days ago, the
majority of our Delphi programmers are women. The group, men and women were
great. I was the only contractor. Unfortunately the acquiring company is
getting all their contractors from India now and getting rid of the others,
so I am looking for work all of the sudden.

Jon
http://home1.gte.net/jqjacobs/index.htm
This posting was made entirely from recycled electrons. No innocent atoms
were harmed.

Re:Recommend Book For Making "Drawing Program"-like Graphics

> OpenGL is also portable to Linux

Oops, 2D graphics only :(  sorry.  The app I am writing is definitely
2D.

> Where I worked for four years, until a few days ago, the majority
> of our Delphi programmers are women.

I had better start paying more attention to the names in the newsgroups.
Thought I only kept reading guys names.  Hope it turns out there are
more women Delphi programmers around than I realized.  :)

Mike Vance <luvt...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

MPG.15ab82c042e9f489989...@forums.borland.com...

> I am writing a fairly involved drawing program and have very little
> experience with graphics.  Could some persons here recommend some titles
> that would help?  They need not be Delphi-specific though that would be
> nice since I expect to use the VCL 100% so that this application can be
> ported to Linux in the future.  I am at home with the Win API, just I've
> never done much with graphics or fonts.

There are books covering general Delphi programming with 1 or 2 chapters
dedicated to graphics :
i have the book by Xavier Pacheco (i think its english name is "The guide to
Delphi 4" or something similar..) that has a good description of basic
graphics programming expecially with VCL :
For other books go to the site :
http://www.efg2.com/Lab/Library/index.html

For many graphics programming examples go to :

http://www.efg2.com/Lab/index.html

For fast accessing bitmap examples see :

http://www.efg2.com/Lab/ImageProcessing/Scanline.htm

>Thank you guys.  Seems like
> there aren't many women Delphi programs for some reason.

I don't know how many girls or women are there but i have often seen here
the posts by Therese Hanquet ...

Re:Recommend Book For Making "Drawing Program"-like Graphics

Hi Francesco,

> I don't know how many girls or women are there but i have often seen here
> the posts by Therese Hanquet ...

I also see regularly messages from Sue D. Nom, and sometimes by Deborah Pate
(Team B).

Thrse

Re:Recommend Book For Making "Drawing Program"-like Graphics

> I also see regularly messages from Sue D. Nom, and sometimes by Deborah

Pate
But is Sue D. Nom a real name? Certainly sounds like pseudonym.
--
Jon
http://home1.gte.net/jqjacobs/index.htm
This posting was made entirely from recycled electrons. No innocent atoms
were harmed.

Other Threads