BDE + Paradox-probs D1, BDE 2.52 and NETWORK

Hi there!
we have a delphi1-App running with paradox-tables
(massive) using BDE 2.52. On Standalone & in older
Networks we have rar problems with data corruption
(mostly through hangups of the app). in 3 new
networks (very fast PCs, ethernet 10MBit, NW4.11)
we have "Index out of date", app-Hangups & (not so
often) data corruption almost EVERY DAY! Even in
tables that were not touched by the APP????!!!
So the Question goes: Are there any timing-problems
concerning PDX-Tables??? (i think i read about it
some time ago)?????? please help, we are currently
testing the app there on a single pc without datas
laying on the network, but no response yet.
And if this goes ok, what shall we DO??????

this app runs fine since about 1,5 years with little or no problems
on 13 places, two of them network-environments (nw 4.x, former 3.x).
It's no alternative to say (after about one year of development):
let's change to something else. Browsing is an elementary part of
this programm, and so SQL doesn't be an alternative, also the costs
would be unacceptable. And changing to an other driver - why should
we do it? this would mean another bunch of problems and an huge
amount of effort, changing an otherwise fine running app to maybe
a bader alternative (Apollo, Flashfiler,...). Since there is no other
PROVEn solution to be as fast as PDX (and as mighty as it, as long
approved as it), this seems to be a extremely high risk (we need
descending indexes, use Infopower, etc.). The point of my question
is: After seeking in various databases i never found a question relating
a similar problem. So: doesn't anyone have similar problems (apart from
you), or does nobody use pdx with delphi 1 in such an environment???
(most a-user, sometimes up to 5 user, mostly only 2 working concurrently).
My only chance (i would see to be an acceptable effort) is to port the
app to delphi 3 (therefore changing the BDE to 32-Bit V4.0). But...
does this heal the problems? Why can't anyone tell me? Or: have i run
into a technical (hardware) problem???? So this comes back to the source
of my question: are there any known limitations with the BDE regarding
network-Speed, timeouts, processor speed, etc? this seems to be
the only logical answer to this problem (remember: the apps runs fine
on two other networks with similar behaviour but other PC-hardware).
please understand that we cannot simply switch to an other driver
due to the former described reason. btw: the apps EXE-file is 6,4 MB,
so you can imagine there is a lot of source code behind it ;-).
PLEASE HELP, having advanced trouble!!!!

Re:BDE + Paradox-probs D1, BDE 2.52 and NETWORK

There are no timing problems that I have ever heard of with the 16 bit
BDE.  It could be a network hardware problem such as a bad NIC.

Massive is not very descriptive.  How many rows in the table?  How
many megabytes is the .db file?  Are the indexes that become corrupt
primary or secondary?

Bill

(Sorry but TeamB cannot answer support questions received via email.              )
(To send me email for any other reason remove .nospam from my address.)

Re:BDE + Paradox-probs D1, BDE 2.52 and NETWORK

Tnx for attempting to reply, but the problem is surely not
network.-hardware-based. we are getting it on three different
locations we installed a month ago.
it seems to me that i have run into the formerly read
VREDIR-Problem, at least the main difference between
the old installations and the new one is the windows-
version (the new ones have 95B).
So this seems clear to me.
I'm trying to update the machines on one location to the
new vredir.vxd today and will see if it helps.
keeping U informed

Richard

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997 23:51:49 GMT, Bill_T...@compuserve.com.nospam

(Bill Todd (TeamB)) wrote:
>There are no timing problems that I have ever heard of with the 16 bit
>BDE.  It could be a network hardware problem such as a bad NIC.

>Massive is not very descriptive.  How many rows in the table?  How
>many megabytes is the .db file?  Are the indexes that become corrupt
>primary or secondary?

>Bill

>(Sorry but TeamB cannot answer support questions received via email.              )
>(To send me email for any other reason remove .nospam from my address.)

Other Threads