Indy 9 - Delphi 6 Installation Problems

Dear Indy team!

It seems the installation routines do not work properly:

1. I specified Delphi6\Source\Indy9 as the directory for the installation of
the source files. indy9_00_00_src.exe  created a subdirectory Source below
this directory but did not create any BACKUP directory as it had indicated.

2. I then ran indy9_00_00_d6.exe. This routine did not ask for a directory.
It put all dcu-files etc. in Delphi6\Source\Indy9\D6 but left all Indy 8
files in Delphi6\Lib intact. It did not offer to delete files from Delphi
6\Lib\Debug as the 'Specific Notes' on
'http://www.nevrona.com/indy/download90.html' say.

3. As I accidentally had D6 running during the first installation I
uninstalled everything and repeated both steps but got the same result
again.

4. Because I still have to use D5 for a current project I also ran
indy9_00_00_d5.exe. This one installed everything to
Delphi6\Source\Indy9\D5. Certainly, I would like to have everything under
Delphi5\...!

What version is D6 now really using and how can I get it to use the version
9 files?
How can I use version 9 in both Delphi 5 and Delphi6?

Your help would be appreciated.

Kind regards
Uwe

Re:Indy 9 - Delphi 6 Installation Problems

if you want to make special (advanced) instalations... u can download the
full source (last build) from the ftp. (or if u have them installed... make
a backup. uninstall all indy versions).
then copy it to delphi5\... delphi6\...
and recompile the package in each delphi version.

"Uwe Barlage" <UweBarl...@netcologne.de> wrote in message

> Dear Indy team!

> It seems the installation routines do not work properly:

> 1. I specified Delphi6\Source\Indy9 as the directory for the installation
of
> the source files. indy9_00_00_src.exe  created a subdirectory Source below
> this directory but did not create any BACKUP directory as it had
indicated.

> 2. I then ran indy9_00_00_d6.exe. This routine did not ask for a
directory.
> It put all dcu-files etc. in Delphi6\Source\Indy9\D6 but left all Indy 8
> files in Delphi6\Lib intact. It did not offer to delete files from Delphi
> 6\Lib\Debug as the 'Specific Notes' on
> 'http://www.nevrona.com/indy/download90.html' say.

> 3. As I accidentally had D6 running during the first installation I
> uninstalled everything and repeated both steps but got the same result
> again.

> 4. Because I still have to use D5 for a current project I also ran
> indy9_00_00_d5.exe. This one installed everything to
> Delphi6\Source\Indy9\D5. Certainly, I would like to have everything under
> Delphi5\...!

> What version is D6 now really using and how can I get it to use the
version
> 9 files?
> How can I use version 9 in both Delphi 5 and Delphi6?

> Your help would be appreciated.

> Kind regards
> Uwe

Re:Indy 9 - Delphi 6 Installation Problems

[This followup was posted to borland.public.delphi.internet.winsock and
a copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article <3b81727b$1_2@dnews>, UweBarl...@netcologne.de says...

> Dear Indy team!

> It seems the installation routines do not work properly:

> 1. I specified Delphi6\Source\Indy9 as the directory for the installation of
> the source files. indy9_00_00_src.exe  created a subdirectory Source below
> this directory but did not create any BACKUP directory as it had indicated.

Okay.  I did look at the Wise installation and it would only back up
files if they existed in the directory that was specified.

> 2. I then ran indy9_00_00_d6.exe. This routine did not ask for a directory.

That was intentional on my part.  When I do the Indy distributions, I
have to be very mindfull of a batch file mechanism in Indy.  There are
batch files in the distribution for rebuilding Indy from the source-code
and those require a specific file placement and the placement is like
this:

[windows system directory]
the Indy run-time BPL files
[under the main Indy directory]
\Source - Indy Source-code, batch files
\C4 - most C++Builder 4 compiled binaries
\C5 - most C++Builder 5 compiled binaries
\D4 - most Delphi 4 compiled binaries
\D5 - most Delphi 5 compiled binaries
\D6 - most Delphi 6 compiled binaries

The reason we separate the binaries for the various compilers into their
own subdirectories is to prevent the compiler from constantly rebuilding
the Indy DCU's.

For the Indy 9.0 installs, I had devided the install into several
individual parts that you mentioned to prevent downloading unneeded
things (the entire Indy package would be 10 MB).  You were not asked in
D6 specific install because I had it determine where to place files from
a registry key that the first install made.

> It put all dcu-files etc. in Delphi6\Source\Indy9\D6 but left all Indy 8
> files in Delphi6\Lib intact.

There was a bug that would prevent detecting this.  If it happened and
was working correctly, the install would tell you that you had to use
Borland's install to remove those DCU's.  Unfortunately, I messed up in
the script.

> It did not offer to delete files from Delphi
> 6\Lib\Debug as the 'Specific Notes' on
> 'http://www.nevrona.com/indy/download90.html' say.

That was another problem with the script error and I just tested this
myself and I did fix it.

> 4. Because I still have to use D5 for a current project I also ran
> indy9_00_00_d5.exe. This one installed everything to
> Delphi6\Source\Indy9\D5. Certainly, I would like to have everything under
> Delphi5\...!

See above.

> What version is D6 now really using and how can I get it to use the version
> 9 files?

You could have Borland's uninstall remove the Indy DCU's from the lib
directory, go into your delphi6\lib\debug directory and delete the Indy
files with a "DEL Id*.*", run FULLD6.BAT (I had made that available on
the downloads page, and install the design-time BPL in your D6
subdirectory.  There should be no problems using Indy in more than one
IDE.

--
Support the anti-Spam amendment - Join at http://www.cauce.org/
J. Peter Mugaas     E-Mail:  oma00...@mail.wvnet.edu