Re: I have seen some fat client Dot Net apps

2007-08-24 02:16:58 AM
delphi272
I,
| ... CodeGear with it is Win32 strategy make it feasible to just ignore
| .NET and get on with developing apps.
And for MY particular requirements I hope it stays that way! <fingers
crossed>
08/23/2007 11:15:53
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re: I have seen some fat client Dot Net apps

I,
| To some measure they have been preempted by Hydra ...
What is "Hydra?"
A quick Google only turned up a game console and a chess machine.
08/23/2007 11:24:39
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re: I have seen some fat client Dot Net apps

Q Correll writes:
What is "Hydra?"
www.remobjects.com/product/
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

"Q Correll" writes:
I,

| ... CodeGear with it is Win32 strategy make it feasible to just ignore
| .NET and get on with developing apps.

And for MY particular requirements I hope it stays that way! <fingers
crossed>
OMG, I was just saying to Brian:
I well understand your concerns but I am *almost* convinced that the
cultural divide between .NET and Delphi Win32 developers is so wide and
deep as to be unbridgeable by CodeGear.
and he responded as follows:
I agree that the cultural divide does exist today; but I don't think
it's as wide/deep as you believe it is. Non-tech is an especially
hostile place and full of passionate people with strong opinions.

I.P. Nichols writes:
OMG, I was just saying to Brian:

>I well understand your concerns but I am *almost* convinced that the
>cultural divide between .NET and Delphi Win32 developers is so wide and
>deep as to be unbridgeable by CodeGear.
So what? Are you *completely* convinced now because you have read that
Q doesn't need or wishes to ignore .NET?
and he responded as follows:

>I agree that the cultural divide does exist today; but I don't think
>it's as wide/deep as you believe it is. Non-tech is an especially
>hostile place and full of passionate people with strong opinions.
I also added a bit more explaining that CodeGear could make a
significant difference in bridging this cultural divide.
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

"Brian Moelk" writes:

So what? Are you *completely* convinced now because you have read that
Q doesn't need or wishes to ignore .NET?

Please don't be mad, I thought it humorous. :)

I.P. Nichols writes:
>So what? Are you *completely* convinced now because you have read that
>Q doesn't need or wishes to ignore .NET?

Please don't be mad, I thought it humorous. :)
:p I am not mad at all.
Its intent was somewhat ambiguous to me; humor is tough to do online and
since I have never met you in person it is much harder for me to guess
your intent. Regardless, your post quoted me, so I felt compelled to
clarify.
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

Re: I have seen some fat client Dot Net apps

Brian,
| www.remobjects.com/product/
| 5A0EF}
Thanks!
08/23/2007 16:25:28
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re: I have seen some fat client Dot Net apps

I,
Thanks!
08/23/2007 16:25:56
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re: I have seen some fat client Dot Net apps

I,
| OMG, I was just saying to Brian:
|
| | I well understand your concerns but I am almost convinced that the
| | cultural divide between .NET and Delphi Win32 developers is so wide
| | and deep as to be unbridgeable by CodeGear.
Just for the record: I don't believe CodeGear is "making a mistake"
with following the .NET, or whatever, path. Things change and "Time
Marches On!" I just don't want the environment I presently use to
"disappear!" <g>
08/23/2007 16:26:56

"Brian Moelk" writes:

Its intent was somewhat ambiguous to me; humor is tough to do online...
Especially when it is a "third-rail" issue and ironical humor is easily
interpreted as a sharp poke in the eye rather than the intented jolly slap
on the knee...
Never-the-less I don't think either of us can even guess what changes are in
store for CodeGear during the next two years as compared to how much things
have changed over the past two years since Robert Coates made his rejected
$150 million cash offer down to the most recent comments made by Jim Douglas
that "selling the company is still the plan of record and consistent with
the strategic needs of both organizations. Despite consistently generating
profit and positive cash flow, I didn't feel like [CodeGear] was prepared to
thrive as a stand alone entity when I joined at the beginning of the second
quarter."
blog.marcocantu.com/blog/CodeGear_clarifications.html
I'm reminded of the great baseball player Satchel Paige who said "Don't look
back. Something might be gaining on you." ;-)

I.P. Nichols writes:
I well understand your concerns but I am almost convinced that the
cultural divide between .NET and Delphi Win32 developers is so wide
and deep as to be unbridgeable by CodeGear. Except for your pleas I
see little support for such solutions.
You don't seem to be counting the people who use both.
Cultural (or stubbornness) issues aside, I'd argue that Delphi (and
therefore CodeGear) is better suited to bridging the so-called divide
than pretty much anyone. All of the interop capabilities of C# plus
things like unmanaged exports and VLI. Single source for the language
and libraries (more important imo) but without preventing me from
taking advantage of features only available on one or the other
platform.
I don't see a divide, I see options. As a wise man once said, "It's
all about the love."
Feel free to nit-pick about specific minutiae.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

"Bruce McGee" writes:
I.P. Nichols writes:

>I well understand your concerns but I am almost convinced that the
>cultural divide between .NET and Delphi Win32 developers is so wide
>and deep as to be unbridgeable by CodeGear. Except for your pleas I
>see little support for such solutions.

You don't seem to be counting the people who use both.
I'm aware that there are some like yourself who use both Delphi.W32 and
Delphi4.NET but my guess is the there isn't a preponderance of of "dual"
users and most of them are ASP.NET developers and CF wantabeas. Micheal
Swindell recently said, "Delphi has a developer population of approx 1.75
million users worldwide in
2006", do you wanta guess how many are "dual" users?
Cultural (or stubbornness) issues aside, I'd argue that Delphi (and
therefore CodeGear) is better suited to bridging the so-called divide
than pretty much anyone.
Who else but CodeGear could bridge the divide?
All of the interop capabilities of C# plus
things like unmanaged exports and VLI. Single source for the language
and libraries (more important imo) but without preventing me from
taking advantage of features only available on one or the other
platform.
I don't see a divide, I see options.
You are as bad about using euphemisms as I am. :) To me is seems oblivious
that there are many more Delphi users who reject "dual" use than those like
yourself who embrace it. Perhaps Brian expresses it more realistically than
I when he said:
:>I agree that the cultural divide does exist today; but I don't think
:>it's as wide/deep as you believe it is. Non-tech is an especially
:>hostile place and full of passionate people with strong opinions.
As a wise man once said, "It's all about the love."
A wise business man once said the fruits of love will not satisfy your
owners who expect a decent return on their investement and have no
compulsion about throwing you out on your ear.
Feel free to nit-pick about specific minutiae.
I've never considered your comments minutia. ;-)
Time will reveal all...

Re: I have seen some fat client Dot Net apps

"I.P. Nichols" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Micheal Swindell recently said, "Delphi has a developer population of
approx 1.75 million users worldwide in
2006",
He did? Geez, I am going to start routinely googling for Swindell's name for
other such gems. Where did he say that?
Nevermind...
groups.google.com/group/borland.public.delphi.non-technical/browse_thread/thread/615c82e5115ef64e/3a606bb4183b895b&q=&rnum=1#3a606bb4183b895b
-d

Re: I have seen some fat client Dot Net apps

"Dennis Landi" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>Micheal Swindell recently said, "Delphi has a developer population of
>approx 1.75 million users worldwide in
>2006",
I've been dying to hear a figure from some authorative voice and there it
is. A scenario of 1.75 million users has got HOPE and POTENTIAL written all
over it..
-d