Re: Delphi 2007 Help

David M writes:
Next time try it before slamming the OP.
I take it you haven't actually read this thread, then. Might be a good
idea before giving advice.
Should you choose to do so, it will be quite clear that I have tried
this many times, and that the issue that some people are experiencing
with ShellExecute not showing up at all wasn't the OP's problem (though
it is a problem for others). It does, however, work for me and several
other people here.
FWIW this bug has been notified before - hopefully it will be fixed in
the next sp.
It /might/ be fixed if we can figure out what the bug is. Should you
like to lend a hand figuring it out instead of taking uninformed pot
shots at me I would appreciate the assistance.
IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Edition users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com

Re: Delphi 2007 Help

Differences on my machine:
1) I have VS 2005 (although per Dave's post that is probably not the
issue).
2) No PT settings (doubt this makes a difference).
3) "All Users"
4) Enterprise ESD (although per other posts in this thread it's
probably not that, either)
5) Custom install to remove BDE stuff. (I.e., same as full, but none of
the BDE options selected.)
Want to help make Delphi and InterBase better? Use QC!
qc.borland.com -- Vote for important issues

Re: Delphi 2007 Help

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>wrote
in message news:462f4f8e$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Differences on my machine:

1) I have VS 2005 (although per Dave's post that is probably not the
issue).
2) No PT settings (doubt this makes a difference).
3) "All Users"
4) Enterprise ESD (although per other posts in this thread it's
probably not that, either)
5) Custom install to remove BDE stuff. (I.e., same as full, but none of
the BDE options selected.)
Presuming the F1 issue relates to something inside D2007, rather than
what else is installed on the system, I also have
GExperts
JVCS
JCL
DelForExp
all of which insert menu items.
Any of those common to anyone else who has (or hasn't) the F1/ShellApi
problem?
Assuming Fernando didn't install any of these in his tests, this would be
another false trial,
but I would like to be sure so I can eliminate them.
Ken

Re: Delphi 2007 Help

Ken Adam writes:
Presuming the F1 issue relates to something inside D2007, rather than
what else is installed on the system, I also have
GExperts
JVCS
JCL
DelForExp
all of which insert menu items.

Any of those common to anyone else who has (or hasn't) the F1/ShellApi
problem?

Assuming Fernando didn't install any of these in his tests, this would be
another false trial,
but I would like to be sure so I can eliminate them.
You're right: except for my main dev XP (configuration 1), I have no 3rd
party tools/components/IDE addins or whatsoever. In fact, I don't even
change the defaults of anything, even though only conf. 2 is kept
"modification free", the others have at most some different layout.
A few more questions for those to whom F1 works as should:
- Aprox. date of download; (2007/03/20)
- Language that Delphi is installed in; (English)
- Full install or partial install? If partial, what was left out?
- Visual Studio in any flavor installed?
- .NET 2.0 already installed at time of Delphi Setup or installed by it?
- Same for .NET 2.0 SDK
- I'd ask of any updates for .NET and SDK but I tested in both
settings with same results...
If someone can think of something else that may have impact, just let it
out...

Re: Delphi 2007 Help

Fernando Madruga writes:
Ken Adam writes:
>Presuming the F1 issue relates to something inside D2007, rather than
>what else is installed on the system, I also have
>GExperts
>JVCS
>JCL
>DelForExp
>all of which insert menu items.
>
>Any of those common to anyone else who has (or hasn't) the F1/ShellApi
>problem?
>
>Assuming Fernando didn't install any of these in his tests, this would
>be another false trial,
>but I would like to be sure so I can eliminate them.

You're right: except for my main dev XP (configuration 1), I have no 3rd
party tools/components/IDE addins or whatsoever. In fact, I don't even
change the defaults of anything, even though only conf. 2 is kept
"modification free", the others have at most some different layout.

A few more questions for those to whom F1 works as should:
- Aprox. date of download; (2007/03/20)
My download stub was dated 16 March 2007 at 8:48pm (EST). Installation
would have been started shortly thereafter. I normally disable virus
protection and run EndItAll2 before installing anything so I imagine I
did in this case.
Installed while Administrator for All Users.
- Language that Delphi is installed in; (English)
English
- Full install or partial install? If partial, what was left out?
Full
- Visual Studio in any flavor installed?
Not explicitly. I did have BDS2006 Pro installed.
- .NET 2.0 already installed at time of Delphi Setup or installed by it?
Net 2.0 not installed early. Tried to avoid that. Don't use automatic
windows updates and am selective about what I download. Don't use OE.
Don't have IE 7.0. Latest Office program is Word from Office XP (2002).
- Same for .NET 2.0 SDK
Nope
- I'd ask of any updates for .NET and SDK but I tested in both
settings with same results...
If someone can think of something else that may have impact, just let it
out...
Pro SKU on XP Pro SP2 with selective updates.

Re: Delphi 2007 Help

Bob writes:
Installed while Administrator for All Users.
Account named "Administrator" or an account with administrative rights?
Also, I assume that the issue mentioned in this thread is working for
you, i.e., you get help on ShellExecute even without first adding
ShellAPI to the uses clause?

Re: Delphi 2007 Help

Fernando Madruga writes:
Bob writes:
>Installed while Administrator for All Users.

Account named "Administrator" or an account with administrative rights?
Administrator is not actually the name. I chose the name when starting
XP on this system. As I am a bad person <g>, I always run as that user.
No password involved.
Also, I assume that the issue mentioned in this thread is working for
you, i.e., you get help on ShellExecute even without first adding
ShellAPI to the uses clause?
Yes. Just started a new VCL project. Flipped over to the .pas file.
Added a ShellExecute to the implementation section. Pressed F1.
Presented with a choice of two topics.
Best wishes,
Bob

Re: Delphi 2007 Help

The only thing of interest in this list is that I had .NET / SDK
preinstalled.
Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
server: support.borland.com/entry.jspa

Re: Delphi 2007 Help

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
The only thing of interest in this list is that I had .NET / SDK
preinstalled.

By now I am starting to think that the phase of the moon has some
influence! :)
Bob's config is very similar to my own and some of the ones I tried...
I'm still doing some experiments, but until the moment I get one single
config to work, I can not try and find out what makes it work... :(
So far is Delphi Help 6 - Madruga 0... :(

Re: Delphi 2007 Help

Ken Adam writes:
"Fernando Madruga" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
>>The only thing of interest in this list is that I had .NET / SDK
>>preinstalled.
>>
>By now I am starting to think that the phase of the moon has some
>influence! :)
Maybe you should call yourself "Bob" while doing the install... ;-)
Hmm... Haven't though of that one! BRB...

Re: Delphi 2007 Help

Fernando Madruga writes:
Ken Adam writes:
>"Fernando Madruga" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>>Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
>>>The only thing of interest in this list is that I had .NET / SDK
>>>preinstalled.
>>>
>>By now I am starting to think that the phase of the moon has some
>>influence! :)
>Maybe you should call yourself "Bob" while doing the install... ;-)

Hmm... Haven't though of that one! BRB...
I don't endorse that but when you figure it out then Bob's your uncle.
Best wishes,
Bob

Re: Delphi 2007 Help

Fernando Madruga writes:
>Maybe you should call yourself "Bob" while doing the install... ;-)

Hmm... Haven't though of that one! BRB...
Dang! I knew I was forgetting something when I just installed Delphi
2007! :)
BTW, for those for whom the help *does* work (on this particular issue):
does shellexecute show with the red wavy lines underneath?

Re: Delphi 2007 Help

Fernando Madruga writes:
Fernando Madruga writes:
>>Maybe you should call yourself "Bob" while doing the install... ;-)
>
>Hmm... Haven't though of that one! BRB...

Dang! I knew I was forgetting something when I just installed Delphi
2007! :)

BTW, for those for whom the help *does* work (on this particular issue):
does shellexecute show with the red wavy lines underneath?
Yes, it does here.
Best wishes,
Bob

Re: Delphi 2007 Help

Have you tried it? I did, and it does work (as does the index).
F1 on ShelExecute It doesn't work here. It says Topic not found. I can
find it if I open the Help and search the index.
regards,
Lucian

Re: Delphi 2007 Help

Fernando Madruga writes:
BTW, for those for whom the help does work (on this particular
issue): does shellexecute show with the red wavy lines underneath?
Yes.
Borland newsgroup denizen Sergio González has a new CD of
Irish music out, and it is good: tinyurl.com/7hgfr