Conference This Year

Will there be one?
Will this be Borland(ALM)s last chance to grab some change from us?
or will this fund raiser go to the new DevCo?
Anyone going if they have one?
It will be interesting. If the Ole'Borland throws it, what will they
talk about? ALM stuff with no Delphi? If the new DevCo throws it, then
I imagine it will be quite interesting and fun.
--

Re:Conference This Year

Bob writes:
Ask over in borland.public.conference.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - DevCo

Re:Conference This Year

Nick Hodges (Borland) writes:
Bob writes:

Ask over in borland.public.conference.
Will do Nick. Thanks. Didnt even realize that there was a conference
group.
But, on that note. One of my peeves. I think there are WAY too many
categories for posting to borland newsgroups. Most groups have great
info. Some are just dead. When I have a question or comment, I
sometimes have problems figuring the best place to post it. Usually I
end up in non-technical since it is the place most traveled. Maybe its
just me.
And btw, Congrats on the new position!
--

Re:Conference This Year

Bob writes:
I think there are WAY too many
categories for posting to borland newsgroups.
One of the things that will happen with DevCo is a "cleaning up" of the
newsgroups.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - DevCo
Read my Blog -- www.lemanix.com/nickblog

Re:Conference This Year

>I think there are WAY too many
>categories for posting to borland newsgroups.

One of the things that will happen with DevCo is a "cleaning up" of the
newsgroups.
And I urge DevCo to take their time, and get it right. While Bob has a
point, every time the newsgroups change, it takes a long time before
Google or any other worthwhile archive will pick them up. So it is just
as well the reorginization doesn't happen too often, and it needs to be
thought through carefully.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:Conference This Year

Nick Hodges (Borland/DevCo) writes:
One of the things that will happen with DevCo is a "cleaning up" of
the newsgroups.
Please, please, please keep an NNTP interface available. Don't force me
to use a browser to get to the newsgroups.
--
-Brion
There's no such thing as 'one, true way;'

Re:Conference This Year

Brion L. Webster writes:
Please, please, please keep an NNTP interface available. Don't force
me to use a browser to get to the newsgroups.
That's not my call, but I can not imagine that we'd drop NNTP.
--

Brion L. Webster writes:
Please, please, please keep an NNTP interface available. Don't force
me to use a browser to get to the newsgroups.
I think TeamB would mutiny if that happened.
...so you may want to change your opinion. :)
-Craig
Want to help make Delphi and InterBase better? Use QC!
qc.borland.com -- Vote for important issues

Re:Conference This Year

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>wrote
in message news:4491d567$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Brion L. Webster writes:

>Please, please, please keep an NNTP interface available. Don't force
>me to use a browser to get to the newsgroups.

I think TeamB would mutiny if that happened.

...so you may want to change your opinion. :)

Gasp. Do you mean..., no it can not be.
Could it be that there really *is* just one true way?
And web interface is a shadow of the real thing?
--
Thanks,
Brad.

Re:Conference This Year

"Brad White" <bwhite at inebraska.com>writes
"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>wrote
in message news:4491d567$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>Brion L. Webster writes:
>
>>Please, please, please keep an NNTP interface available. Don't force
>>me to use a browser to get to the newsgroups.
>
>I think TeamB would mutiny if that happened.
>
>...so you may want to change your opinion. :)

Gasp. Do you mean..., no it can not be.

Could it be that there really *is* just one true way?
And web interface is a shadow of the real thing?
Not even a shadow <vbg>. An aviation forum I frequent was moved to browser
a year or two ago. They would have lost a lot of us except for this:
www.dubner.com/tapubb/general_info.htm
I use it several times a day. Works *great*.
Even better than newsgroups<g>.
Dan

Re:Conference This Year

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
I think TeamB would mutiny if that happened.
I'm with you, Mr Christian.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re:Conference This Year

Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:

I'm with you, Mr Christian.
Aye! <g>
--
Wayne Niddery - Winwright, Inc (www.winwright.ca)
"At the apex of every great tragedy of mankind there stands the figure

Re:Conference This Year

Dan Barclay writes:
Not even a shadow <vbg>. An aviation forum I frequent was moved to
browser a year or two ago. They would have lost a lot of us except
for this:

www.dubner.com/tapubb/general_info.htm
Amazing. I thought TAPCIS was outmoded 11 years ago <g>
--
Mike Orriss

Re:Conference This Year

"Mike Orriss" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Dan Barclay writes:

>Not even a shadow <vbg>. An aviation forum I frequent was moved to
>browser a year or two ago. They would have lost a lot of us except
>for this:
>
>www.dubner.com/tapubb/general_info.htm

Amazing. I thought TAPCIS was outmoded 11 years ago <g>
It would have been, had "improvements" been actual improvements.
Believe it or not I use it a lot, but certainly wouldn't if there were an
alternative that offered the *features* I am looking for.
Once you get used to *proper* threading (including highlighting messages to
you), hiding read messages, *instant* "next" etc, it is hard to use browser
interfaces even if they are prettier. You can hardly accomplish much of
that without having an OLR.
So far I haven't found *anything* that provides that for NNTP or other
webified newsgroups. There is a huge hole there for someone to fill. It's
not that it can not be done, it just hasn't been.
Dan

Re:Conference This Year

"Dan Barclay" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Once you get used to *proper* threading (including highlighting messages
to you), hiding read messages, *instant* "next" etc, it is hard to use
browser interfaces even if they are prettier. You can hardly accomplish
much of that without having an OLR.

So far I haven't found *anything* that provides that for NNTP or other
webified newsgroups. There is a huge hole there for someone to fill.
It's not that it can not be done, it just hasn't been.
Is that hole big enough for people to pay actual money for such a
newsreader?