Re: NewsGroups vs vBulletin forum

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
WITHOUT LOGGING IN.
I HEARD YOU!!!
By contrast, if I click on a
link to a newsgroup in any default install of a recent version of
Windows, OE pops up and I can immediately see messages and post to the
group without having to fill out a single bit of personal info.
Learnt something today too
--
Ingvar Nilsen
Brand New Web Site! Free Delphi Tool:

Re: NewsGroups vs vBulletin forum

Don Schoeman writes:
please point me out to where I used vulgar language?
Sorry, it seems I was attributing to you some things that TitanKing said.
I never "threatened" the demise of Delphi, I
said that forums could help the community grow. I also said that if
Delphi
would ever die, I'd leave programming for good.
Perhaps you could have worded your original post better, and/or perhaps
I could have read it better. It seemed to me you were implying that
the demise of Delphi would be immanent if we did not all embrace the
type of forum that you prefer.
By the way, though not official forums hosted by CodeGear/Borland, there
are web-based Delphi forums that seem similar to what you like, though
they're not vBulletin. One you should probably visit if you haven't is
forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Chad Z. Hower writes:
Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
>They've been there a long time. Mind you, I hate all web-based
>groups, haven't seen one yet that I considered 1/10 as good as a
>good old nntp newsreader.

Nothing has made me leave these forums yet, but a switch away from
NNTP and to web only certainly would do the trick. And I suspect lots
of others would leave too.
Why ?
The NNTP groups are a pain if you are behind a firewall.
There is nothing wrong with a nicely setup web forum based on something
like SMF.
If I had a choice I'd use the web based forum because nothing gets
downloaded to my PC and I don't have to worry about getting around
firewalls and using {*word*99}py web interfaces to NNTP groups.
NNTP is fine from home where there are no firewall issues, but in a
large corp environment they stink.
I bet we would see more participation if it was forum based. Sure some
die hards would leave, but you would pick up others.
Don't be afraid of change :-)
--

Re: NewsGroups vs vBulletin forum

Another good example of a web based support community is the
Gentoo forums: forums.gentoo.org/
I have used this many times and it was easy to find what I was looking
for, much easier than the borland newsgroups.
Everything is in one place, no need to use google.
--

Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
TitanKing writes:
>Guys, seriously.
>
>News group is the worst community builder.

Whatever that means. These groups have had a very strong "community"
for their entire existence both as nntp groups and previous as
compuserve forums.

You are correct in that fact, except it is a community of the same
poeple over and over. I don't see many new names in these newsgroups.
the users of this group are far less than the number of people that
actually use Delphi.
A forum based community would be a great benefit to all except the few
that are here now.
I bet if Codegear setup a forum simlar to Gentoo's
(forums.gentoo.org/) or Ununtu's we would see many more Delphi
users besides the {*word*155} actually using it.
It's not all about what the few people that love NNTP groups want, it
should be something that is easy to get to and use like a good forum.
I know a bunch of developers that have never been to the NNTP groups
but they would visit a web based forum.
Just my 2 cents on the matter.
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
www.amsoftwaredesign.com
--

Chad Z. Hower writes:
TitanKing writes:
>For the high quality language Delphi is today, its got a small
>cummunity.

That isnt because of NNTP. Just read the other threads here for
answers.
It is because of NNTP. There are many many developers that have never
used these NNTP groups, but they would have used a web based forum.
Plain and simple. We need to be looking at the needs of the many not
the needs of the few users of these newsgroups.
--

tony writes:

I bet we would see more participation if it was forum based. Sure
some die hards would leave, but you would pick up others.
We plan on providing both. Folks can go where they feel most
comfortable.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Re: NewsGroups vs vBulletin forum

"tony" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
The NNTP groups are a pain if you are behind a firewall.
Huh? Every place I have accessed groups from over the past 10 years or so has
been behind a firewall. There's no problem with accessing groups from
behind one. Running a SERVER, thats a different issue.
Which reminds me, one other benefit of newsgroups.... companies that track
employee browsing rarely track employee newsgroup usage :-)

tony writes:
If I had a choice I'd use the web based forum because nothing gets
downloaded to my PC
lol
--
Ingvar Nilsen
Brand New Web Site! Free Delphi Tool:
www.ingvarius.com

Re: NewsGroups vs vBulletin forum

"Lord Crc" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I'm a part-time admin for a very small niche web forum, and even
though we're pretty obscure, we get about a dozen bot attempts a day.
Must be hell for a "high volume" site.
For the high volume site we use a custom built system. It doesnt have all
the bells and whistles, but also doesnt get hit by the spambots and script
kiddies. Its also threads messages, unlike the popular web-based forums ;-)

tony writes:
There are many many developers that have never
used these NNTP groups
This is true, and interesting indeed.
but they would have used a web based forum.
This remains to be proved.
We need to be looking at the needs of the many not
the needs of the few users of these newsgroups.
If you know the needs of many Delphi users, I am sure you are a very
valuable person for CodeGear. I agree that browser based forums is
worth considering, for some forums.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
Brand New Web Site! Free Delphi Tool:
www.ingvarius.com

Re: NewsGroups vs vBulletin forum

"Lars Fosdal" <Lars(q)Fosdal.com>writes
It also have RSS support, email or web notifications of a multitude of
events (comments, moderation, journal changes, etc).
Thinking of RSS - I think that shows that there is something lacking in web
based systems - aggregation. An RSS reader, when you think about it, isnt
too different in concept from a news reader. Now, if some enterprising
individual could make a web-based NNTP 'server script' (if its even
physically possible) that would let people use a news reader to read web
based forums without a dedicated nntp server running on the server (which a
lot of hosting companies wont allow), we'd be home free.

Re: NewsGroups vs vBulletin forum

tony writes:
It really would be in the best interest of all Delphi/codegear users
to have a forum based community.
Tony --
We agree. Newsgroups work great, but they are foreign to many users.
Having a web based community support system is a good idea to meet the
needs of a varied customer base.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re: NewsGroups vs vBulletin forum

"tony" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in news:45b10eab$XXXX@XXXXX.COM:
no need to use google.
I usually use google to search web forums. Most web forums search
facilities are pretty basic.
--
Iman

Re: NewsGroups vs vBulletin forum

Don Schoeman writes:
Guys, I would like to hear your view regarding the difference between
NewsGroups and a forum engine such as vBulletin.
I personally prefer newsgroups for programming related stuff. It's
faster for me. I fire up the newsreader and work on other stuff while
the new messages download. I can then pick what I want to ready and
repy to at my own pace.
For the average user, web based forums are easier to work with. No
argument there. But we are the propeller beanie hat crowd, using a
newsreader is should be childs play.
I saw a message from Nick that CodeGear wants to support both methods.
It would be cool if they could make that an open source project. It
would require a relatively large dongle (the current borland news
server), you could set up a test server to keep things relatively safe.
--
Chris Miller
Sr. Software Engineer