Re: Revoltin' predicament

2005-03-02 12:42:52 AM
delphi176
"BOB-O-MATIC" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>If you will permit a personal question, does your wife find that remark
>funny?

Depending on the time of the month, she either finds everything I say
funny,
or nothing.

[And so, my friends, the circle of un-PC remarks grows ever wider....]
LOL. I am glad this is coming full circle to something at which I CAN laugh.
Kirk
"There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do
something we'd all love one another. "
-- Frank Zappa

Re: Revoltin' predicament

I disagree. I think a certain amount of thought, and sometimes not making
remark one finds funny personally, shows self-respect and respect for the
group.
You diswagree to someone saying that in the big picture were just cosmic
dust and we should just relax a bit...I mean, yes I don't know how much a
mammogram hurts, sry Liz never tried it, but then again I did have the great
pleasure to be at the receiving and giving end of ball kicking, ahhh small
towns so much to do. I just think that true some comparaisons should be
carefully worded, so lets put aside the mammogram machine .. how's this
example MS has Borland spread thinner than the space left during a prostate
exam .... Let the wars go on ....
CheGueVerra

Re: Revoltin' predicament

Dennis Landi writes:

"Bob", there are some female members of this forum who are cancer
survivors. I don't think that occurred to you.
I didn't know surviving cancer involved having one's sense of humor removed.
If every possible thing that could cause offence to someone has to be
removed from communication, then there will cease to be *any* meaningful
communication, let alone humor.
Working for yourself is great because you get to work half days, and
you can choose any twelve hours you want.

Re: Revoltin' predicament

Kirk Halgren writes:

I stand by my name-calling. Anyone who wrote that initial message is
fully qualified to wear that name.
So it is ok for you to offend in response to being offended? Two wrongs make
a right? Go buy yourself a humor.

"Wayne Niddery [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Kirk Halgren writes:

>I stand by my name-calling. Anyone who wrote that initial message is
>fully qualified to wear that name.

So it is ok for you to offend in response to being offended? Two wrongs
make
a right? Go buy yourself a humor.
No, it is not. I have done my mea culpas. We all have our buttons.
Kirk Halgren

Re: Revoltin' predicament

"Kirk Halgren" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I disagree. I think a certain amount of thought, and sometimes not making
remark one finds funny personally, shows self-respect and respect for the
group.
True, but that is not really germane to my point. There is a big difference
between that standard that one applies to one's own conduct, and the one
applied to other people's conduct. The latter assumes a much larger
information set than is reasonable in most cases.

Re: Revoltin' predicament

"John Jacobson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>I disagree. I think a certain amount of thought, and sometimes not
making
>remark one finds funny personally, shows self-respect and respect for
the
>group.

True, but that is not really germane to my point. There is a big
difference
between that standard that one applies to one's own conduct, and the one
applied to other people's conduct. The latter assumes a much larger
information set than is reasonable in most cases.
Hi, John,
So J. Jacobson is Cap'n Jake's secret identity?
I am asking others to apply this standard to their own conduct. I don't
believe this is unreasonable.
Your message raises lots of philosophical issues, and I doubt I take myself
too seriously, although I am open to discussion to the contrary. I simply
(over)reacted to what seemed to me at the time very sophomoric "humor."
If someone's honestly trying to be funny, I appreciate that. This didn't
seem to fall into that category, it seemed more like a cheap shot. At that
time I had no idea the writer had (indirect) personal experience with the
procedure, which also changes matters.
Kirk Halgren

Re: Revoltin' predicament

seem to fall into that category, it seemed more like a cheap shot. At
that
time I had no idea the writer had (indirect) personal experience with the
procedure, which also changes matters.
So your going to install a personnal suffering plugin in every NR, to make
sure poster have suffered from something before joking about it. I know
I've been a pain in the ass all my life, ask my mom, can I joke about that,
or do you think it might be potentially offensive for futur moms with pain
in the ass kids, or disrespectfull of the pain in the ass kids liberties
<vbg>
CheGueVerra

Re: Revoltin' predicament

"Kirk Halgren" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
So J. Jacobson is Cap'n Jake's secret identity?
Secret? I thought everyone knew this.
Your message raises lots of philosophical issues, and I doubt I take
myself
too seriously, although I am open to discussion to the contrary. I simply
(over)reacted to what seemed to me at the time very sophomoric "humor."
I sometimes do the same thing, but that only proves my point more, I think.
(Unless the reader views me as some kind of infallible god, in which case
they might want to get professional help).

Re: Revoltin' predicament

BOB-O-MATIC writes:
my wife is presently
scheduled for a mammogram and a biopsy to determine the composition
of a painful lump in her right {*word*78}.
I'm sorry to hear that. My thoughts go out to you, her, and the rest of
your family.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re: Revoltin' predicament

BOB-O-MATIC writes:
Just to put this self-righteous anger into perspective, my wife is
presently scheduled for a mammogram and a biopsy to determine the
composition of a painful lump in her right {*word*78}.
:(
I hope all goes ok. If it does turn out to be cancerous, and your wife
wants someone to talk to whos not medical, get her to drop me a line,
chemo is no fun, but, they can do a lot these days with the stuff,
makes you puke and you lose your hair, but, its small price to pay for
still being here.. and hair grows back and it seems do does any weight
loss..
Do let me know how it turns out, my wishes are with her and you and
your family.

Re: Revoltin' predicament

"BOB-O-MATIC" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
>Just as women have no concept of how painful it is to get kicked in
>the nuts. ;-)

Yeah, and my favorite uncle lost a nut to testicular cancer. And yet
somehow, believe it or not, watching guys get unexpectedly hit in the groin
is still danged funny.
Especially if you're just watching. <g>

Re: Revoltin' predicament

"Liz" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Matt Jacobs writes:

>Just as women have no concept of how painful it is to get kicked in
>the nuts. ;-)

You might be surprised, having always ridden boys bikes and you know
the metal ring holding the brake cable in?? I landed pelvic bone to
ring as the bike I had borrowed from a boyfriend of the time he being
6'3 and me 5'7.... was a little tall for me. The fact it made me pass
out should be a fair indication of how much it actually hurt.
I have no doubt it hurt. I broke my leg once and that hurt. I had
e-coli once and that hurt as well (very bad). But getting it in the
nuts is an entirely different level of pain. <g>Yet guys still joke
about it.

Re: Revoltin' predicament

"J. Lee" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
mmmmmmmmmm.....booooooobs.....mmmmmm...okay, back to coding...

:)

>Those would be silicone free {*word*12} I assume.
You just lost 20 minutes of productivity. <g>

Re: Revoltin' predicament

Matt Jacobs writes:
I have no doubt it hurt. I broke my leg once and that hurt. I had
e-coli once and that hurt as well (very bad). But getting it in the
nuts is an entirely different level of pain. <g>Yet guys still joke
about it.
True, but then one key of humor is watching someone cause themselves
pain, so, watching someone run into a lamppost, watching someone slip
and fall on their ass .. I wonder if its a kinda thankfull laugh the
kind of "thank goodness it wasnt me" laugh.. as if theres only so much
bad luck watching it happen to someone else severely reduces any chance
of it being you.