Re: D2006 - Not good for UI designing.

2006-01-11 12:35:24 AM
delphi76
Alexander Tereshchenko writes:

I wish you to lose :-)
:) Your reply reminded me to a question that was asked to me. If the
world biggest looser join the looser competition, will that person win?
^_^

Re: D2006 - Not good for UI designing.

I wish you to lose :-)
(and get it faster)
Best regards,
Alexander Tereshchenko
E-mail: XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Website: www.fxfp.com/
Latest version of FuturixImager is 5.5.1
We must be in race for last! 8:-)

Re: D2006 - Not good for UI designing.

"Kevin" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Brad White writes:
>Did you know that no one uses it because it is a half implemented
>feature?
>That's why it doesn't get any air-time.

Interesting. Just curious... how is it half-implemented?

You can record macros, but you can not save them.
All you can do is record and play.
Once you reord another macro, the original is lost.
Reminds me of a calculator that I had once that you
could program and replay, but not save. Frustrating.
Ideally, you'd be able to save macros and replay them later.
Once we can save them, it would be nice to be able to edit them.
Once you have them saved, it opens up all sorts of interesting options.
You should be able to use them from other macros and templates, and
easily attach them to toolbar buttons and keyboard shortcuts.
I've used it a lot and I love the feature. I have found myself going back
to the Delphi IDE for all sorts of odd jobs (creating a whole lot of SQL
insert statements from a spreadsheet etc.) just to use the macro record
and playback.
I find myself starting up Delphi 6 frequently, for the same reason.
There I had CodeRush, and it makes massive edits so much easier.
When I am debugging, I frequently have to go through and add codesite
messages to the beginning of most methods.
In D6+CR, I have a macro that inserts the call to CodeSite, adds the
class and method names as parameters, and automatically moves me to
the beginning of the next method. I have another that just moves me
to the next method. They are both attached to keystrokes.
I can run through entire units in less than 10 seconds, adding messages
where appropriate, and skipping those that are not.
That's what I think of as fully implemented.
HTH,
Brad.

Re: D2006 - Not good for UI designing.

That's a nice trick... ;-) So much to learn, so little time...
"Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
message news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
1) Press CTRL+ALT+P
2) Type "bu" (start of the word "Button")
3) You will see only tabs containing components starting with "bu"
4) Select "Button" in the list

Erwien Saputra a écrit :
Alexander Tereshchenko writes:
>I wish you to lose :-)

:) Your reply reminded me to a question that was asked to me. If the
world biggest looser join the looser competition, will that person win?
^_^
I guess that the "lowest in grade" looser will win ! Why ? because the
world biggest looser will for sure mess everything....

Brad White writes:
You can record macros, but you can not save them.
Ah. OK, I would call that an enhancement rather than "half-implemented."
To me, half-implemented means buggy in some way. It does what it does
well, albeit limited.
The way I use the record and playback I would have no need to save the
macros. They're once-off things.
When I am debugging, I frequently have to go through and add codesite
messages to the beginning of most methods.
In D6+CR, I have a macro that inserts the call to CodeSite, adds the
class and method names as parameters, and automatically moves me to
the beginning of the next method. I have another that just moves me
to the next method. They are both attached to keystrokes.
This sounds very useful indeed. I guess if Borland added this kind of
capability then I'd be able to find a way to use it myself. :-)
Cheers,
Kevin.

Brad White writes:
>You can record macros, but you can not save them.

Ah. OK, I would call that an enhancement rather than "half-implemented." To
me, half-implemented means buggy in some way. It does what it does well,
albeit limited.
Making them useful would certainly be an enhancement, that is for sure.
8:-)
I call it half, but it is really more like %85. All the hard work, the
recording
and playback, are done. All that is left is persistence. Then I'd call
it
fully implemented. The rest of it I do see as an enhancement.

The way I use the record and playback I would have no need to save the macros.
They're once-off things.

Since you have no choice, I am guessing that *is* the way you use them.
Other uses may come to mind if they were "fully implemented. "
--
Brad.

Re: D2006 - Not good for UI designing.

I've found myself going back to the Delphi IDE for all
sorts of odd jobs (creating a whole lot of SQL insert
statements from a spreadsheet etc.) just to use the
macro record and playback. It is so fast compared to
the other alternatives
The Zeus for Windows IDE lets you write Zeus macros using
any one of several scripting languages including Lua,
DMDScript, Java Script, VB(Visual Basic) Script or Python just to name
a few ;)
www.zeusedit.com/features.html
Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows
Note: Zeus is shareware (45 day trial).

Brad White writes:
>The way I use the record and playback I would have no need to save the macros.
>They're once-off things.

Since you have no choice, I am guessing that *is* the way you use them.
Other uses may come to mind if they were "fully implemented. "
Agree!
Cheers,
Kevin.

Brad White writes:
"Ingvar Nilsen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>This happens all the time, no one knows all Delphi features.
>Do you know, Liz, that Delphi had a macro recorder since D1?

Did you know that no one uses it because it is a half implemented feature?
That's why it doesn't get any air-time.
This is a bit like saying no one uses the clipboard because it only
holds one clip at a time and you can not save clips. What a useless piece
of {*word*99}.
Steve Troxell

Re: D2006 - Not good for UI designing.

Kevin,
Brad White writes:
>>The way I use the record and playback I would have no need to save the macros. They're once-off things.
>>
>Since you have no choice, I am guessing that is the way you use them.
>Other uses may come to mind if they were "fully implemented. "

Agree!

Cheers,
Kevin.
Don't know if it is new or not I just happened to be browsing around in GExperts v1.30 and happened to notice the "Macro Library" near the bottom of the menu list ... thought, guess GExperts has finished another feature :)
I haven't even looked into how it works.
--
Dave Keighan
XanaNewser [ 1.17.6.6]

Steve Troxell writes:
>Did you know that no one uses it because it is a half implemented
>feature?
>That's why it doesn't get any air-time.

This is a bit like saying no one uses the clipboard because it only
holds one clip at a time and you can not save clips. What a useless piece
of {*word*99}.
LOL. I know- I felt the same way. Sometimes a "fuller" implementation
isn't always a better implementation. For example, I have used Visual
Studio's Macro record and playback and it sucks. It is so sluggish
compared to Delphi's lean-and-mean macro recorder.
Also, the multiple items in a clipboard stuff (MS Office) bugs the hell
out of me. I have turned that thing off...
Incidentally, there is one thing that I feel could be improved in the
macro recorder: I would like it to remember what I type in a find dialog
(without popping up the dialog when I play the macro back). I often
find that I want to do something at one point in the code and then get
it to skip forward to another keyword ased on some kind of separator.
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re: D2006 - Not good for UI designing.

"Kevin" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Also, the multiple items in a clipboard stuff (MS Office) bugs the hell
out of me. I have turned that thing off...
8:-)
One of the biggest reasons that I use Multi-monitor task bar from
www.mediachance.com is the clipboard history that it gives me.
Stays out of the way, but right there when I need it.

Incidentally, there is one thing that I feel could be improved in the
macro recorder: I would like it to remember what I type in a find dialog
(without popping up the dialog when I play the macro back). I often find
that I want to do something at one point in the code and then get it to
skip forward to another keyword ased on some kind of separator.

Do the find first. Then start the recording using F3.
Works great.
You can even search on different things, but still reuse the
macro which uses F3.
OTOH, If you need the Find dialog, say to search for something the
macro just copied, then you will probably need two separate
macros.
The first moves, selects, calls Find, pastes.
The second hits return, and goes on from there.
I've had to use this type of method many, many times.
But not in native Delphi since it can only handle one macro
at a time.
--
HTH,
Brad.

Brad White writes:
Do the find first. Then start the recording using F3.
Works great.
You can even search on different things, but still reuse the
macro which uses F3.
Right, I think I have actually used this workaround myself. :-)
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re: D2006 - Not good for UI designing.

"Steve Troxell" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Brad White writes:
>"Ingvar Nilsen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>
>>This happens all the time, no one knows all Delphi features.
>>Do you know, Liz, that Delphi had a macro recorder since D1?
>>

>Did you know that no one uses it because it is a half implemented
>feature?
>That's why it doesn't get any air-time.

This is a bit like saying no one uses the clipboard because it only holds
one clip at a time
Well, I agree that is a limitation. Being able to have multiple clips
at once and paste any of them is an enhancement.
But I would say that the existing features of the clipboard *are*
fully implemented because you can save them off and retrieve them
for reuse. You just can not do multiples at once.
So they took the one train of thought and carried it all the way through
to completion.
For the macro recorder, save and load are trivial extensions compared
to the difficult pieces that have already been implemented, and make
it multiple times more useful. I would say that they didn't carry the simple
idea
through to completion.
Sure there's lots of enhancements that would make it even more useful,
but they all hinge on the first idea being finished.
--
Thanks,
Brad.