Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

2005-08-17 10:59:08 PM
delphi37
I think many of the faithful are in denial. I am not in
denial, just depressed.
Denial ->Bargaining ->Anger ->Despair ->Acceptance
www.coping.org/grief/stages.htm
All of them are being exhibited here.

Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

"Brian Moelk" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>I think many of the faithful are in denial. I am not in
>denial, just depressed.

Denial ->Bargaining ->Anger ->Despair ->Acceptance

www.coping.org/grief/stages.htm

All of them are being exhibited here.
I propose an alternative:
Denial ->Bargaining ->Anger ->Divestiture
-- d
Need to see what's happening?
Check out the Delphi Community Blog Aggregator
delphi.flashblogger.com

Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

LOL!

--
Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson

Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

At 14:27:53, 17.08.2005, Angra Mainyu writes:

"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" wrote

>Note that the term "cash cow" was not a quote, it was a term the
>interviewer used. It may well be his view on things.

Give it a rest Rudy...
Sorry, but I don't understand the conclusions people here draw from the
article and some others.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"A model is done when nothing else can be taken out." -- Dyson

Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

At 15:51:56, 17.08.2005, Angra Mainyu writes:
In several of your message you keep casting aspersions on the "a little
cash cow" remark based on it not being quoted as if that fact alone was
enough to completely discredit it
I'm simply not sure if he worded it like that. It is clear that he
regards Delphi as a money maker for them. The term "cash cow" has other
connotations he may not have meant to use, but were the interpretation of
the interviewer.
--

At 15:22:38, 17.08.2005, Brian Moelk writes:
>>I just want what's best for Delphi.
>
>In that we agree. So do I. But I don't think that splitting off
>Delphi is good for it. It would signal to investors that Borland does
>not see it as something worthile keeping.

LOL, I think Borland is doing a good job on its own signaling that to
its investors.
And I think that if they dropped Delphi (that is how I see separating it
off) the effect would be bad. Now they are simply concentrating on
becoming a market leader in ALM/SDO. I see no signs they are neglecting
Delphi in that process.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"Egotist: a person more interested in himself than in me."

Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

"Ingvar Nilsen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Thomas Miller writes:
>I think many of the faithful are in denial.

When the terrain does not correspond with the map, one can either
continue to stare at the map, or admit an adjustment of the map is needed.

btw, Ingvar, that is perfectly written English.
-- d
Need to see what's happening?
Check out the Delphi Community Blog Aggregator
delphi.flashblogger.com

Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

And I think that if they dropped Delphi (that is how I see separating it
off) the effect would be bad.
Divestiture <>dropping Delphi.
Now they are simply concentrating on
becoming a market leader in ALM/SDO. I see no signs they are neglecting
Delphi in that process.
You're not listening to what they have been saying. But if we are indeed so
confused, don't you think that Borland should issue some clarifying
statements?

At 17:46:33, 17.08.2005, Brian Moelk writes:
>And I think that if they dropped Delphi (that is how I see separating
>it off) the effect would be bad.

Divestiture <>dropping Delphi.
No, but that is how many will see it.
>Now they are simply concentrating on
>becoming a market leader in ALM/SDO. I see no signs they are
>neglecting Delphi in that process.

You're not listening to what they have been saying.
I have been listening (and reading) very carefully.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"If you give a man a fish, he will eat for today. If you teach him to

At 11:35:07, 17.08.2005, Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>That would be the best way to get rid of it.

To stop buying it or to stop selling it?
Would you continue developing a product no one buys?
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"I was raised in the Jewish tradition, taught never to marry a

Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
At 11:35:07, 17.08.2005, Ingvar Nilsen writes:

>>That would be the best way to get rid of it.
>
>To stop buying it or to stop selling it?

Would you continue developing a product no one buys?
--
Sounds like a good way to make sure Borland gets rid of it.

At 17:58:02, 17.08.2005, Dennis Landi writes:
>Would you continue developing a product no one buys?

Sounds like a good way to make sure Borland gets rid of it.
Sounds like a good way to make sure Delphi dies entirely.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you will be

Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

Matt Jacobs writes:

The point I am making is MS milked MS-DOS for all it was worth,
putting as little effort into it as possible and then taking the
profits and putting them into Windows.
Any company that wants to grow is going to use profits from successful
products to fund development or furtherance of other projects. Thus it can
always be said that one product or another is being "milked" or is a "cash
cow" when any portion of its profits are used elsewhere. The only issue is
to what degree.
So far, nothing that has been stated (actually quoted) from Borland execs
indicates that further development of Delphi is or will be ended, only that
currently they are focusing much of their efforts elsewhere - ALM/SDO - and
naturally the funding of this has to come from somewhere until such time
that those intiatives begin returning profits of their own. On its own, such
"milking" is not a bad omen, it is very normal and proper.
It is, however, a valid criticism that they continue to omit Delphi from
many public statements, from deserved prominence on some web pages, etc, but
on the other hand, there is clearly active development still taking place.
It is also clear (to many of us and *hopefully* to those that matter at
Borland) that a complete ALM suite *must* include development tools. This is
exactly why StarBase, BoldSoft, Together, and others found value in becoming
part of Borland, and why Rational is now part of IBM, and why other
companies are also attempting to put together entire suites instead of
trying to continue making it as a one-product company - because those tools
on their own can no longer command the market that an integrated suite of
them can.
What are Requirements for? Software development.
What are change requests changing? Software.
What are modellers modelling? Software.
What are metrics measuring? Software development.
What are profilers and optimizers and test frameworks testing? Software.
The idea that an IDE is the *one thing* that can be eliminated from the
equation - that an ALM suite can be considered complete without a
development tool, but incomplete if it is missing any of the other pieces,
is nonsense.
The fact that many of these tools can *also* integrate with competitors
products (and some of their's with Borland products) does not change the
definition of what a complete ALM suite should include, it only means there
is potential of some profit from individual sales of each of the pieces as
well and that they can attempt to cater to a wider cross-section of the
market. In this way it is still possible to compete on the merits of the
individual tools as well as the merits of an integrated suite.
It is also clear that they have a vested interest in attempting to
reestablish a position in the Java market since JBuilder did represent a
large portion of revenue for them for several years. So I am not surprised
that there is heavy focus on re-engineering and repositioning this product
right now, that also does not necessarily bold ill for Delphi in the long
term.
All that said, I too hope for clearer, and positive, statements from Borland
with regard to Delphi.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare.
Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert
Wilensky

Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
The goose with the golden eggs is probably not used for foie gras.
Sure it is...right after it dies from mal-nutrition

www.ingvarius.com