ECO & Webservices

2005-08-04 09:37:16 AM
delphi215
I found this
-More maintainable Web Services, ASP.NET, and WinForm applications
in www.borland.com/us/products/delphi/eco.html
How ever I could not find more information on ECO & Webservices.Does any one
has an idea
Venkatesh

Re:ECO & Webservices

Venkatesh VT writes:
How ever I could not find more information on ECO & Webservices.Does
any one has an idea
Should have more information for you by end of next week. Are you
coming to my presentation in Bangalore or Chennai two weeks from now?
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re:ECO & Webservices

Thanks for your reply.I am certainly attending your presentation in
Bangalore on 18th Aug
Venkatesh
"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Venkatesh VT writes:
I am certainly attending your presentation in
Bangalore on 18th Aug
I hope to have a decent demo to at least show during the Q&A if
feasible. If I can do everything I am trying to get set up to show for
ECO, it will be a very fast couple hours ...
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it is not here, it is not happening: ec.borland.com

Re:ECO & Webservices

I hope to have a decent demo to at least show during the Q&A if
feasible. If I can do everything I am trying to get set up to show for
ECO, it will be a very fast couple hours ...
Hi John,
I can not make the India presentation (<g>) but if you make it to Australia I
look forward to your ECO presentation there.
Meanwhile . . . I am interested in the question of what will ECO3 explicitly
offer in the way of n-tier support?
Will it / does it provide n-tier support out of the box?
I remember some disucssion in the 24 hours of Delphi that Tim Jarvis and
dick Walker had made their ECO app C/S, but is it easy to produce ECO apps
that are properly n-tier?
Thanks,
Lauchlan Mackinnon

Re:ECO & Webservices

John
Great News.I will spread the news.I look forward to your presentation.Can
you make your presentation downloadable (either before or after the
presentation)

Lauchlan M writes:
I can not make the India presentation (<g>) but if you make it to
Australia I look forward to your ECO presentation there.
I'm pretty sure Tim Jarvis or Malcolm Groves will be using this
material in OZ/NZ. And both can do an excellent job, probably even
(gasp!) better than me with it ;)
Meanwhile . . . I am interested in the question of what will ECO3
explicitly offer in the way of n-tier support?
Funny you should ask that tonight. Working on that very subject for the
next few weeks.
Will it / does it provide n-tier support out of the box?
Depends on what you term n-tier. It does support that today,
particularly with ECO web services. it is not as convenient to develop
and connect to as it should be, IMO. that is the part we're working on
right now (mainly me nagging and prodding about it) and hoping others
will jump.
I remember some disucssion in the 24 hours of Delphi that Tim Jarvis
and{*word*106} Walker had made their ECO app C/S, but is it easy to produce
ECO apps that are properly n-tier?
As long as you know the few steps, it is not too hard. But, as I said,
it should be easier. What I am working on for this tour is the "optimal"
steps.
--

Venkatesh VT writes:
Can
you make your presentation downloadable (either before or after the
presentation)
Actually, if everything thing goes according to plan (yeah, right! but
I'm hopeful) you will be leaving the presentation with a ECO
information CD.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it is not here, it is not happening: ec.borland.com

Re:ECO & Webservices

>Meanwhile . . . I am interested in the question of what will ECO3
>explicitly offer in the way of n-tier support?

Funny you should ask that tonight. Working on that very subject for the
next few weeks.

>Will it / does it provide n-tier support out of the box?

Depends on what you term n-tier.
By n-tier I guess I probably mean most of the following:
(i) there is an application server rather than a client accessing the
database directly
(ii) the application server talks to the database
(iii) business logic may be neatly encapsulated in various neatly
functionally partitioned server-side tiers (eg in data modules or some kind
of service module)
(iv) the relevant data (in this case I guess I mean objects) are serialised,
transfered over the transport, and deserialised at the client end
(v) there is a choice of transports, eg tcp/ip, SOAP, etc
(vi) there is connection pooling etc
(vii) there is support for scalability, eg load-balancing and so on
(viii) there is some kind of standard login framework provided and
security/encryption (eg SSL) for the transports and accessing the services
(ix) each client gets its own 'copy' of the relevant objects to work with
(x) there is some framework for reconciling 'deltas' of changes in the
objects back to the server, and to recognise and handle conflicts (eg two
users have a copy of ObjectA, one user changes ObjectA and uploads the
changes, another user makes different changes and uploads it, the system
should have a framework for handling this)
(xi) there is a mechanism for{*word*154} business logic/events on the
processing of the deltas.
Of course, not all of these may be relevant for the ECO framework.
I'm sure I will think of something alse just as soon as I post this . . .
It does support that today,
particularly with ECO web services.
Sure, if you have services I guess that is n-tier in a sense anyway.
It's not as convenient to develop
and connect to as it should be, IMO. that is the part we're working on
right now (mainly me nagging and prodding about it) and hoping others
will jump.
As long as you know the few steps, it is not too hard. But, as I said,
it should be easier. What I am working on for this tour is the "optimal"
steps.
ok, this is great. By the time I start using it, it should be perfect! <g>
Thanks for your answers.
Lauchlan Mackinnon

Re:ECO & Webservices

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
I'm pretty sure Tim Jarvis or Malcolm Groves will be using this
material in OZ/NZ.
Do you have any dates for the NZ side of things? I would love to attend, if
(and thats a big IF) I can get the time off work.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re:ECO & Webservices

I wish I could go to Bangalore to watch it too :-)
When is there going to be a UK demo?

Re:ECO & Webservices

Hi,
"Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>escribi?
en el mensaje news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
I wish I could go to Bangalore to watch it too :-)
me either :)

When is there going to be a UK demo?
and one in Spain? Or should i ask someone else? If there's not going to be
one i could assist to a UK or Germany demo. it is not such a big problem for
me to get there, as I am living 10 minutes far away from the most
UK-and-Germany-connected airport in whole South Europe ;-)
--
Best regards :)
Guillem Vicens

Re:ECO & Webservices

Even I'd force myself to be brave enough to stand in front of a critical
audience if it were in the UK :-)
--
Pete
====

Re:ECO & Webservices

David Clegg writes:
Do you have any dates for the NZ side of things?
Not yet. They should be put in EventCentral. I will ask Karen Lee to
post the events to EventCentral, and do an announcement on my blog or
BDN.
--

Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software] writes:
When is there going to be a UK demo?
Will have to check with Jason Vokes on that. it is supposed to happen in
Europe before the end of this quarter.