Re: At what point companies stop to be interested in you

Don't know about that one. Beethoven wrote his most innovative and powerful
music as he got older. He was in his 50's when he wrote his amazing Ninth
Symphony. The Gross Fugue is one of the most innovative pieces of music ever
written and it too was written when Beethoven was in his 50's.
The most striking example has to be Anton Bruckner, who composed all of
his important works after the age of forty (started his 1st symphony at
41 and finished it at age 44).
w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/bruckner.html

Re: At what point companies stop to be interested in you

Andrea Raimondi writes:
Well, it depends on what you mean by "secure". If someone got to
know you good enough, with experience and some social engeneering
would guess your "secure passwords" in seconds :-)
Um, you'd be surprised. You also have to take into account dyslexia
which can be very beneficial when it comes to password generation.
:)
>Given the guy in question, Id rather live in my Dads shed.

ROTFL! That was a {*word*193} one <g>
However, err, I will email you with some interesting comments from the
guy and Im sure you'd opt for the shed.. (assuming the email address on
the newsgroup is valid.. I will try anyway)
Instead of checking for themselves first... typical and sad.
Im always keen to learn new things, in fact, I think thats one of the
key things that seems to make me different from many people Ive worked
with. I dont necessarily know more, but Im generally more determind to
find out, I tend to take ideas home and play with them, I tend to look
things up, I tend also to remember them, I was once hired to maintain
some code.. I then moved on within the company after a few years, yet,
4 years or so after that move, I could still remember exactly where
various issues could and would arise, exactly what some error meant to
look at, which files were in use at the time.. and it was a system
involving around 100 tables each with a unique set of code for each of
the 15 clients.. :) If its irrelevant to my current life, Im far more
likely to remember it than to post that cheque :)
"VMWare" is something I can not afford, either for cost and for hardware
requirements. My PC is rather old nowadays and I beleive it'd be
hard for it run such a beast. We're talking 200MB RAM here :-)
Ah :) ok, Vmware does have a 15 day trial or something, if you lived
more local Id give you one of my spare PCs I have a p400 or something
you could have run linux on :)
Never seen the mice, but I guess it was real fun to play with
Sparcs... :-)
They are a bit like the magic eye microsoft mice, but you needed the
special mouse mat that had a grid on it for it to work. But this is
like 20 years ago, so an optical mouse was seriously *hot* - Hmm I have
one of those mice somewhere - as I have some sparcs, I have a sparc 1
somewhere and the mouse/keyboard to go with..
P.S.: did you have a nice Chrimbo? <g>
My hubby cooked the hugest christmas dinner, Im glad I got me a
tredmill to lose weight on, coz Im sure going to need it.. The turkey
alone (for 2 people!!) took 4 hours to cook, so it weight what 8kg??
something like that, plus stuffing and sausages, and potatoes, and and
and and..
Hubby imported the dilbert dvd for me :) yay
My doggies got a winalot package each (and my emergency backup dog -
aka grans dog whos staying with us got one too) and they are very
happy, but werent so happy when we didnt let them eat it all at once..
You?

Andrea Raimondi writes:
>Ah :) ok, Vmware does have a 15 day trial or something, if you lived
>more local Id give you one of my spare PCs I have a p400 or
>something you could have run linux on :)

I wouldn't generally allow you to :-)
Believe me, its not a case of charity, I cant bring myself to throw it
in the rubish, but I have no need for it, I'd rather people who
could use it have it.. I'd give to local schools but no doubt they
would moan its not fast enough..
I'm very proud in this respect and rarely I "ask for help".
I prefer to earn things instead of asking them.
Me too. However, theres also that looking a gift horse in the mouth.
Not more than few days ago one of my customers told me he
wanted to buy me a Delphi2005 license, I told him I couldn't
allow him, because I had to earn it for the work made.
Answer there would be accept it as payment for some work for him.
Would you mind scanning a photo and send it here? :-)
err when i find it, yes no problem. :)
Anyway I am a very good eater and your hubby wouldn't be
disappointed <g>
(kidding)
Believe me, I can eat well :) I didnt turn into the somewhat in need of
dieting sized person I am today by nibbling on half a peice of cellery
and claiming Im full.
LOL, I had a very very very nice show of a movie with
Angela Lansbury, a Disney one, about a witch-to-be that gets to host
three children who discover her being a witch.
Can't remember the name anyway.
Sounds like bednobs and broomsticks :)
I used to have dogs, but one died, the other was given to a
countryside industry we knew they would care of him, because at the
time(and still today) I was travelling all around Italy for work.
Aye, I think agencies think Im a bit mad when Im not keen on working
away from home all week and coming home weekends.. But Id rather work
poor and be with my hubby and dogs.
What a pity my girlfriend couldn't stay with me this Christmas
because she's from another city, quite far from here and we
only meetup on Saturdays when she comes to Rome, which is
about 2 hrs from me. She also is quite young(19) while I am slightly
older(27) and we're together since very short time(3 months more or
less).
Maybe next year :) Tis always better to look foward to new possiblities
than regret missed ones.

Re: At what point companies stop to be interested in you

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:48:59 +0100, "Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
It is not a bad job, but it is
not like printing your own money anymore.
More like digging for gold ;)
- Asbjørn

Re: At what point companies stop to be interested in you

He didn't :oP
--
Best regards, Serge Dosyukov
Dragon Soft

Re: At what point companies stop to be interested in you

"Liz" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
I have plenty of ideas, I have the time, but even if I made them Im
just not convinced I could sell them no matter how good they are, I
dont know where to market so Id have to pay someone and from everything
Have you considered shareware? The ASP (Association of Shareware
Professionals, dues $100 US/year) has lots of members who are very good
at the sales/marketing side of things, and they are happy to help other
ASP members.

Leroy Casterline writes:
Have you considered shareware? The ASP (Association of Shareware
Professionals, dues $100 US/year) has lots of members who are very
good at the sales/marketing side of things, and they are happy to
help other ASP members.
No, hadnt considered that one... curious.. Will read up on that.

Re: At what point companies stop to be interested in you

"Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft)" wrote
There is a very interesting question which affects all of us ;o)
[At what point do companies stop being interested in you?]
Answer: When you are dead,
or longer if you have left a legacy of problem software.
Companies have problems finding and keeping
competent and reliable help. They often get stuck
with programmers that will create and then refuse
to provide maintenance instructions or even good
source code for monster programs that can only
be maintained by their writers. --JohnH

<41d14b71$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
Companies have problems finding and keeping
competent and reliable help.
This is SO true, and not just in software development, yet its truth escapes
a lot of programmers.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.362

Re: At what point companies stop to be interested in you

There are some comments for this:
it is VERY common because (choose one or more which applies):
1. of genius of programmer and he is so "in the sky" about his work he
usually do not care about documenting his code
2. there is no time provided to perform this operation - no milestones, no
stages, ... etc
3. programmer who sits on a project for years from some point became
careless about comments because he knows code he wrote
4. company do not do anything to enforce this requirement, so it became not
important to spend a time on such task
5. company do not do anything to find and keep competent and reliable
staff... sometimes management forgetting simple idea that biggest asset of
the company is a personal and not a bank account (yes, account is important
to keep personal, but it is a personal which fill an account...)
* a Small Firm's Biggest Asset - Your People
--
Best regards, Serge Dosyukov
Dragon Soft
Check Delphi 7 ->Delphi 2005 chart www.dragonsoftru.com
Try our DS Plug-in System, now with Delphi 2005 support
www.dragonsoftru.com
"John Herbster" <herb-sci1_AT_sbcglobal.net>writes

"Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft)" wrote

>There is a very interesting question which affects all of us ;o)

>[At what point do companies stop being interested in you?]

Answer: When you are dead,
or longer if you have left a legacy of problem software.

Companies have problems finding and keeping
competent and reliable help. They often get stuck
with programmers that will create and then refuse
to provide maintenance instructions or even good
source code for monster programs that can only
be maintained by their writers. --JohnH

Re: At what point companies stop to be interested in you

"John Herbster" <herb-sci1_AT_sbcglobal.net>writes

"Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft)" wrote

>There is a very interesting question which affects all of us ;o)

>[At what point do companies stop being interested in you?]

Answer: When you are dead,
or longer if you have left a legacy of problem software.
That's a great quote my collection. I love it. ;-)

Companies have problems finding and keeping
competent and reliable help. They often get stuck
with programmers that will create and then refuse
to provide maintenance instructions or even good
source code for monster programs that can only
be maintained by their writers. --JohnH
There is another point that no one seems to have made. Companies don't
usually "lose interest" in people. They continually rate you into a category
that allows you to remain or demands your dismissal. Even if you are
"essential" to the company technically, you may have to go. Ask any
executive if it is hard to replace anyone. He'll tell you that it may be
expensive but it is not difficult (personally I disagree with that kind of
opinion but it is common). Especially in a large company, people pretty much
rate those below them as good guys (assets) or bad guys (liabilities). If
you cause problems or can not help with solving problems you are a bad guy. If
you solve problems and prevent problems you are a good guy. Mostly the focus
of "problems" will have to do with how well you work with others and not
your technical abilities. And mostly the "others" will be those people who
are in a position to fire your butt. Become enough of a bad guy and out the
door you go. You have become a liability rather than an asset.
The higher up the ladder, the more important it seems to be that those under
you not be a liability and the less important that they be technically
great. Technical expertise can be rented when needed or simply done without.
A smooth operation that is well in hand is priceless (even if it is not
accomplishing anything).
I've seen countless great people let go in large organizations because they
didn't consider how they were being seen by those above. They felt that
"results are all that matter". Too soon they learned that results don't mean
squat if those above you don't like you or if they percieve you to attack
them or even if you are simply a PIA and it takes up too much of their time
worrying about what you are up to.
I think it requires a great amount of skill or natural talent of a certain
type to do well in a large organization. I don't believe that I'd do
very well if I had to face it daily. I am more of an independent and I'm
better off working as a contractor. My point is, you have to put aside the
thought that just because you are a better developer or coder or whatever,
you should have received that promotion or shouldn't have been let go. If
you feel you are getting poor treatment, it is because you aren't playing the
game properly. And perhaps you (like me) are better served in a small shop
or on your own.
Note: I am not referring to you John when I say "you". I am speaking
figuratively.
Jim Rowell

Re: At what point companies stop to be interested in you

"Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft)" <"serge[no_spam]ATdragonsoftru.com">wrote in
message <41d1fab8$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
company do not do anything to find and keep competent and reliable
staff... sometimes management forgetting simple idea that biggest asset of
the company is a personal and not a bank account (yes, account is important
to keep personal, but it is a personal which fill an account...)
It is especially hard for a company to find and retain competent software
developers if the interview process starts with a bunch of clueless HR {*word*73}s
that can not speak without framing everything like a question and moving their
head sideways like a retarded pigeon when they attempt locution.
--

"Captain Jake" <jake[nospam]@jsnewsreader.com>writes
It is especially hard for a company to find and retain competent software
developers if the interview process starts with a bunch of clueless HR
{*word*73}s
that can not speak without framing everything like a question and moving
their
head sideways like a retarded pigeon when they attempt locution.

That sounds like it is coming from a fresh memory. <g>

Re: At what point companies stop to be interested in you

Jim Rowell <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes <41d21d5f$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
That sounds like it is coming from a fresh memory. <g>
Fortunately it is an old memory, but it is burned into my memory very
strongly. In the industry I am currently in, there is too much money on the
line for the software that manages it to be built by the kind of talent that
CHRB's can recognize. The last piece of software I built managed hundreds of
millions of dollars in cash. You don't want CHRB's saying "Omigod, this guy
has three of the needed TLA's we want"
--

Captain Jake writes:
It is especially hard for a company to find and retain competent
software developers if the interview process starts with a bunch of
clueless HR {*word*73}s that can not speak without framing everything like a
question and moving their head sideways like a retarded pigeon when
they attempt locution.
I wondered why it is HR are the biggest bunch of wet fish ever, they
never actually seem to *do* anything, having had to go to HR because a
manager told me that after closing like 79 copies of outlook on the IT
project managers machine which was running like a dog and miraculously
it was happier "Did xxx tell you how to do that"? xxx being my hubby ..
"no" I replied, "He must have done you cant possibly have known that.."
and here comes the reason I went.. "All women are useless" ...
The HR woman, who looked like someone found her in a dumpster, during
the interview didnt tape it, but tried to write down what was being
said, she didnt do short hand and the minutes she wrote missed the one
important thing that the pompus old soul had said.. Which was
"Im not prepared to change what I say in front of her she should be
used to it"
Of course, the minutes basically came out that I had backed down and
that this guy had been fine and it was all in my imagination, even
though he had admitted to saying it and other people had heard it.
To be honest, it wasnt the "All women are useless" bit I overly
objected to, its like the "All women cant park" .. its when its aimed
at you personally.. more history for the day was I was medially only
allowed to work from 9-12 and had been in the previous day from 9am-3am
and it was now 5pm on the second day.... so I was tired, I was working
my hide off for this moron.. and while I didnt expect fan fair and
lovely dovey stuff.. insults were just too much.