Re: Teamwork

2004-01-22 11:14:31 AM
delphi10
Danny Thorpe writes:
The results: the team was stronger, the individuals within
it were more capable, and Anders was free to pursue his heart with a
clear conscience. He would probably deny such a {*word*97} theory,
but I deeply respect him for it anyway.
An excellent example of great leadership. Thanks for sharing that
marvelous nugget.
It is interesting that I dealt with this exact situation all the time
in the military. The system for leaving was a bit more formalized, but
it worked much the same way.
--
Nick Hodges (TeamB)
Lemanix Corporation - (www.lemanix.com)

Re: Teamwork

"Admiral Jake" <johnjac76[nospam]@comcast.net>writes

I don't know about the others here, but I don't worry too much about the
comings and goings of high-end managers and executives at Borland, or any
other firm other than the one I work for. It is the coming and going of
people like Chuck and Blake that catches my attention.
Catching attention is fine, but assuming doom and gloom as others have on
this thread is childish.
Borland products are built by teams. Individuals come and go; it is a fact
of life. With proper management and preparation, the team can tolerate
departures without disrupting product development. We try to build
redundancy into the team - not to make people expendable, but to allow
people the flexibility to deal with higher priority events in their personal
lives - marriages, births, deaths, and even career changes. We nurture
mentor relationships within the team, so that when senior staff eventually
move on (to other projects within the company or to other companies) their
experience in the craft is already imprinted on other members of the team.
Here's a fact that a suprising number of people refuse to accept: Everyone
leaves the team eventually. Whether by choice or by pine box, everyone
goes. No one lives forever.
You can either build your world (and team) in denial of this principle, or
you can build with awareness and anticipation to accommodate such
eventualities as best you can. When built correctly, the team is greater
than the sum of its parts and will outlast the term of any individual within
it. Borland has a long history of building such teams.
And before you ask: No, I don't have any plans to leave Borland right now.
I developed this view more than 5 years ago after realizing that Anders
Hejlsberg's departure from Borland was preceded by more than a year of
careful (and quiet) team building with the sole purpose of weaning the team
off of Anders. The results: the team was stronger, the individuals within
it were more capable, and Anders was free to pursue his heart with a clear
conscience. He would probably deny such a {*word*97} theory, but I deeply
respect him for it anyway.

I don't suppose you could answer this but here goes anyway: do you think
that
the departure of Chuck will likely affect the rate or progress of
Delphi development?
No, I don't feel Chuck's departure will adversely affect future Delphi
product development. Chuck was instrumental in getting the Delphi for .NET
project off the ground some two years ago, and instrumental in helping
finalize the project in Q4 last year, but there was also a span of nearly a
year in between where Chuck was completely consumed by the C#Builder
project. Delphi 8 development did not come to a screeching halt then, and
it won't come crashing down now either.
It would be inappropriate for me to discuss the issues surrounding Chuck's
departure, but I will tell you that I understand his reasons and I support
his decision completely. If I were in a similar situation, I'd probably
do the same.
Now if you will excuse me, I have work to do.
-Danny

Re: Teamwork

"Danny Thorpe" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Now if you will excuse me, I have work to do.

Thank-you Danny for the excellent Post and as Delphi users we rest assured
your leadership and capable team spirit will carry through these difficult
moments.
Chris

Re: Teamwork

Borland products are built by teams. Individuals come and go; it is a fact
of life. With proper management and preparation, the team can tolerate
departures without disrupting product development. We try to build
redundancy into the team - not to make people expendable, but to allow
people the flexibility to deal with higher priority events in their
personal
lives - marriages, births, deaths, and even career changes. We nurture
mentor relationships within the team, so that when senior staff eventually
move on (to other projects within the company or to other companies) their
experience in the craft is already imprinted on other members of the team.
Total deja'vu isn't it?
--
Allen Bauer.
Developer Tools Group Delphi/C#Builder IDE Architect.

Re: Teamwork

Nick Hodges (TeamB) writes:
An excellent example of great leadership. Thanks for sharing that
marvelous nugget.
You do have ski's strapped to your feet, don't you Nick?
--
Derek Davidson
www.enterpriseblue.com

Re: Teamwork

Danny Thorpe writes:
Catching attention is fine, but assuming doom and gloom as others
have on this thread is childish.
I can probably safely assume that you consider me one of those assuming
doom and gloom.
I take nothing whatever away from your 'it's a team approach' statement
or that there are undoubtedly still very well qualified staff at
Borland. I agree with you completely.
But the signal that is sent out when your CTO, Chief Delphi Architect
and other senior staff all leave within a few weeks of each other is
*not* good. Not because of the brain drain necessarily, but because of
the 'why did they go?' question. As many a great detective will tell
you 'I don't believe in coincidences'.
Now if you will excuse me, I have work to do.
I've kept it brief :)
--
Derek Davidson
www.enterpriseblue.com

Re: Teamwork

chrisC writes:
Thank-you Danny for the excellent Post and as Delphi users we rest
assured your leadership and capable team spirit will carry through
these difficult moments.
Ah - you must be ski-ing with Nick.
--
Derek Davidson
www.enterpriseblue.com

Re: Teamwork

but because of
the 'why did they go?' question.
you know, the ship make sharp turn, some folks on wrong board go into water :)

Re: Teamwork

individuals come and go; ...
Yeah, as tovaristch Stalin used to say "there are no non-changable peoples".
Along with Lenin's works (like "About Individuality in History") that
summs up to beloved Communist maxim: "Person is nothing, collective is all".

Re: Teamwork

Derek Davidson writes:
Ah - you must be ski-ing with Nick.
I saw your reply to Nick and I am not seeing what you mean by either of
these two "ski-ing (sic)".
Will

Re: Teamwork

Thank you Danny. Now I understand the problem -
managers dominate over developers. it is a pity...
Be strong Danny.

Re: Teamwork

"Andrew Rybenkov" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Yeah, as tovaristch Stalin used to say "there are no non-changable
peoples".
Along with Lenin's works (like "About Individuality in History") that
summs up to beloved Communist maxim: "Person is nothing, collective is
all".
Communism and capitalism obviously have things in common. But there are
some dramatic differences too. For example, capitalism generally offers the
freedom to choose which collective(s) you want to be a member of.
Blake Stone and Chuck J. have just decided to join a different
collective<g>.

Re: Teamwork

"JQP" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Blake Stone and Chuck J. have just decided to join a different
collective<g>.
That makes them sound like the Borg. :-))
I wonder what Anders H. is called now: One of Nine, tertiary adjunct of
Unimatrix .NET One? :-)
Dave

Re: Teamwork

John Wester [Group W] writes:
And with any successful sports team. We call it bench strength or
depth.
Excellent example.
--
Nick Hodges (TeamB)
Lemanix Corporation - (www.lemanix.com)
Improve the quality of Delphi! Get your bugs into QC:
qc.borland.com

Re: Teamwork

But the signal that is sent out when your CTO, Chief Delphi Architect
and other senior staff all leave within a few weeks of each other is
*not* good.
Actions speak louder than fancy titles.
--
-Jimmy