The Borland Vision: Wrong?

2003-11-08 08:35:22 PM
delphi194
Delphi Open Letter: " Borland certainly believes that there are still many more
Win32 projects to be developed with Delphi for years to come and do plan to
support and update the Win32 Delphi technology in the future. However .NET is
clearly the direction of the Windows platform and will be the most important
focus for Delphi developers in the near term. We are tremendously e{*word*277}d about
the .NET opportunities ahead and we look forward to realizing them with you, our
valued Delphi customers, partners, and friends. "
Is moving to . net a short term aim? Really? I'd have thought that it was a
long term aim for most developers. Isn't a short term priority for most Delphi
developers wanting Borland to get patches and fixes for Delphi32 out the door,
and quickly?
Now that it has effectively been confirmed that Delphi 7 will be the last full
version of Delphi32, how long do you think it will be before we get an update,
and will some of these bugs that have been lingering from Delphi 5/6 be fixed ?
One is doubtful.

Re:The Borland Vision: Wrong?

"Ronald McDonald" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Is moving to . net a short term aim? Really? I'd have thought that it was a
long term aim for most developers. Isn't a short term priority for most Delphi
developers wanting Borland to get patches and fixes for Delphi32 out the door,
and quickly?
***FEAR***
Now that it has effectively been confirmed that Delphi 7 will be the last full
version of Delphi32, how long do you think it will be before we get an update,
and will some of these bugs that have been lingering from Delphi 5/6 be fixed ?
***UNCERTAINTY***
One is doubtful.
***DOUBT***

Re:The Borland Vision: Wrong?

Ken Halliwell writes:
FEAR
UNCERTAINTY
DOUBT
LOL!
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

Re:The Borland Vision: Wrong?

Is moving to . net a short term aim? Really? I'd have thought that it
was a
long term aim for most developers. Isn't a short term priority for most
Delphi
developers wanting Borland to get patches and fixes for Delphi32 out the
door,
and quickly?
No, because there are so many things that can be done natively in .NET that
can not be done in Win32, e.g. web services. (REMObjects does an excellent
job with .NET, but I'd rather layer RO over .NET then W32 because of
security).
Now that it has effectively been confirmed that Delphi 7 will be the last
full
version of Delphi32,
Where did you see this? I did not hear it anywhere at BorCon, and it was
asked.
how long do you think it will be before we get an update,
and will some of these bugs that have been lingering from Delphi 5/6 be
fixed ?
After .NET.
One is doubtful.
That's is oft' nature of those who linger in this newsgroup.
Ed Dressel

Re:The Borland Vision: Wrong?

Ronald McDonald writes:
Now that it has effectively been confirmed that Delphi 7 will be the last full
version of Delphi32, how long do you think it will be before we get an update,
Blah, blah, blah...
You can live in your own fantasy world, but please don't write this BS
here. Thank you.
David

Re:The Borland Vision: Wrong?

Is moving to . net a short term aim? Really? I'd have thought that it was a
long term aim for most developers.
But **Borland** have to go there before most developers, wouldn't you
say, if they are to provide those developers with tools? I'd have
said that if anything, Borland started doing that too late rather than
too early.
Isn't a short term priority for most Delphi developers wanting Borland
to get patches and fixes for Delphi32 out the door, and quickly?
No. Most Delphi developers I know (and I have asked at user group
meetings) don't have significant issues with that.
Now that it has effectively been confirmed that Delphi 7 will be
the last full version of Delphi32
It most certainly wasn't confirmed. What was said quite clearly at the
"meet the team" meeting was that no decision had yet been made about
whether there would be a patch or a new version.
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk
TurboSync - Connecting Delphi with your Palm

Re:The Borland Vision: Wrong?

Ron:
You just don't get it. Move on!
Chris
[...]

Ken Halliwell writes:
***FEAR***
***UNCERTAINTY***
***DOUBT***
it's the Spanish Inquisition!!! <g>
our chief weapons are... <oh, {*word*81}>
--
Kristofer

Re:The Borland Vision: Wrong?

"Ronald McDonald" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
clearly the direction of the Windows platform and will be the most important
focus for Delphi developers in the near term. We are tremendously e{*word*277}d about

Is moving to . net a short term aim? Really? I'd have thought that it was a
I read that as meaning that it is a short-term aim for those who are
developing Delphi (Borland's Delphi team) rather than for those who are
developing *in* Delphi. IMO, this makes sense if Borland want's to have
an impact in the .NET market.

Re:The Borland Vision: Wrong?

"Kristofer Skaug" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Ken Halliwell writes:
>***FEAR***
>***UNCERTAINTY***
>***DOUBT***

it's the Spanish Inquisition!!! <g>
our chief weapons are... <oh, {*word*81}>
We expect FUD, but nobody expects...

Re:The Borland Vision: Wrong?

"Ronald McDonald" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
Now that it has effectively been confirmed that Delphi 7 will be the last
full
version of Delphi32, how long do you think it will be before we get an
update,
and will some of these bugs that have been lingering from Delphi 5/6 be
fixed ?
Why would Borland waste any more time and money on a technology it has
abandoned? So the answer is "infinite".

Re:The Borland Vision: Wrong?

"Ed Dressel" <none>wrote
>Now that it has effectively been confirmed that Delphi 7 will be the
last full
>version of Delphi32,
Where did you see this? I did not hear it anywhere at BorCon, and it was
asked.
Was it also asked when there will be a Delphi 7 SP?
Hint: Borland has been focusing all its resources to .NET since the release
of D7. Bundling of Delphi 7 w Octane should be an indication to all but the most
naive that there won't be a new D32 IDE/compiler. Whether that is a last act
of goodwill gesture or a move to ease its clients emotionally attached to
W32 into the "bad" news is open for discussion. Either case, that is a smart
and expected move.

Re:The Borland Vision: Wrong?

No, because there are so many things that can be done natively in .NET
that
can not be done in Win32, e.g. web services. (REMObjects does an excellent
job with .NET, but I'd rather layer RO over .NET then W32 because of
security).
Why don't you think Web Services can not be done in Win 32? Isn't it meant to
be a feature of both Delphi 6 and Delphi 7? And, as you point out, doesn't
Rem Objects have a great product for web services for Delphi for Win 32?
What else are you thinking of that couldn't be done in Win 32 but could be
done in .net?
Lauchlan M

Re:The Borland Vision: Wrong?

Was it also asked when there will be a Delphi 7 SP?
Yes. The answer was that they haven't decided if the next Win32 release
would be an patch or a new version.
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk
TurboSync - Connecting Delphi with your Palm

Re:The Borland Vision: Wrong?

Wrong!!! What it really means is that they are going to see how
Delphi 8 .Net is received, and if it sells like block busters, we
are likely to only get a SP for D7. On the other hand, Danny has
mentioned that there will be win32 VCL for Delphi 8.
I sure wish Borland would make a decision, tell us, and we can
stop wasting time speculating. I am not sure there is any
reason not to tell us exactly what they are planning!!! Often
they hold stuff back not to tip their hand on new features.
That isn't at issue now.
Anonymous writes:
"Ed Dressel" <none>wrote

>>Now that it has effectively been confirmed that Delphi 7 will be the

last full

>>version of Delphi32,

>Where did you see this? I did not hear it anywhere at BorCon, and it was
>asked.

Was it also asked when there will be a Delphi 7 SP?

Hint: Borland has been focusing all its resources to .NET since the release
of D7. Bundling of Delphi 7 w Octane should be an indication to all but the most
naive that there won't be a new D32 IDE/compiler. Whether that is a last act
of goodwill gesture or a move to ease its clients emotionally attached to
W32 into the "bad" news is open for discussion. Either case, that is a smart
and expected move.

--
Thomas Miller
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software