Inserts, joins and 'Unique Table'

2004-06-09 07:28:07 AM
delphi273
(D5, ADO, SQL2K)
I understand from other NG conversations that 'Unique Table' restriction
only applies to deletes in a joined query.
What can I do to similarly limit the inserts to the same table for which I
limit deletes.
i.e. is there an equivalent to the ADO's 'Unique Table' property for
inserts?
Also, I can not find any documentation on 'Unique Table' in D5 help. Can you
point me to some?

Re:Inserts, joins and 'Unique Table'

Sydney,
What can I do to similarly limit the inserts to the same table for which I
limit deletes.
You can get TBetterADODataSet.
HTH
--
Vassil Nazarov
betterado.hit.bg/

Re:Inserts, joins and 'Unique Table'

Thanks.
Tried to install it in D5 by opening BetterADO.dpk and got "Invalid compiler
directive 'Align'. Help.
Also, what is the migration path (source code wise) from TADO to TBetterADO?
"Vassil Nazarov" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Sydney,

>What can I do to similarly limit the inserts to the same table for which
>limit deletes.

You can get TBetterADODataSet.

HTH
--
Vassil Nazarov
betterado.hit.bg/

Re:Inserts, joins and 'Unique Table'

Tried to install it in D5 by opening BetterADO.dpk and got "Invalid compiler
directive 'Align'. Help.
Just delete that line and install.
Also, what is the migration path (source code wise) from TADO to TBetterADO?
None. Just replace your TADOxx declarations with TBetterADODataSet
in your .pas and .dfm files.
HTH
--
Vassil Nazarov
betterado.hit.bg/

Re:Inserts, joins and 'Unique Table'

OK - it compiled (FYI - I had to also change the Requires clause to xx50
too) .
I'm still not clear on the migration part ...
My apps use both TADOtables and TADOqueries. Are you saying I need to
replace both of these with TBetterADODataSet? If so, I will need to change
all my TADOquery.SQL to CommandText entries - right? Is there an easy way
to do both these things - i.e. modify the component references (.dfm) adn
the .sql assigns?
Also, am I losing anything moving from TADOquery to TBetterADODataSet (which
appears to handle both tables and sql queries)?
Can you please clear this up for me?
"Vassil Nazarov" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Tried to install it in D5 by opening BetterADO.dpk and got "Invalid
compiler
>directive 'Align'. Help.

Just delete that line and install.

>Also, what is the migration path (source code wise) from TADO to
TBetterADO?

None. Just replace your TADOxx declarations with TBetterADODataSet
in your .pas and .dfm files.

HTH
--
Vassil Nazarov
betterado.hit.bg/

Re:Inserts, joins and 'Unique Table'

My apps use both TADOtables and TADOqueries. Are you saying I need to
replace both of these with TBetterADODataSet?
Yes.
If so, I will need to change
all my TADOquery.SQL to CommandText entries - right?
Yes.
Is there an easy way
to do both these things - i.e. modify the component references (.dfm) adn
the .sql assigns?
Just edit them in the .dfm file.
You don't need to convert all datasets - just the ones that are failing you.
HTH
--
Vassil Nazarov
betterado.hit.bg/

Re:Inserts, joins and 'Unique Table'

The only way I know to make columns read only is to make them persistent
fields.
Is that true?
"Brian Bushay TeamB" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>I understand from other NG conversations that 'Unique Table' restriction
>only applies to deletes in a joined query.
>What can I do to similarly limit the inserts to the same table for which
>limit deletes.
>i.e. is there an equivalent to the ADO's 'Unique Table' property for
>inserts?
Just set any fields that are not from the table you want modified to
readonly.
ADO only changes

>Also, I can not find any documentation on 'Unique Table' in D5 help. Can
you
>point me to some?
You can not find any documentation in Delphi because this is an ADO
property.
You need to look at Microsoft documentation for ADO properties
support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
XXXX@XXXXX.COM