Newer Version of the old RTM.EXE?

Hi!

I was wondering if there is any newer version of RTM.EXE available on
the net. The version I use has file date of 3.Dec.1992 and a size of
108686 bytes.

I ask becouse I got troubles on machines running DOS with more than
32MB RAM installed. Well, 32MB is fairly enough for a DOS-Program,
right. I would be glad if it makes use only of the first 32MB. BUT:
Instead of ignoring the "unwanted memory" some PCs hang, some reboot.
What to do? seting the RTM environment to something like EXTMAX 32000
does not work too! If I use it under a Windows (95/NT) DOS-Box, all of
the memory (64MB-some_windows_memory that is) will be used! (I think
this is becouse of the DPMI-Host)

Please send a Mail as well!

Thanks in advance, Roman Gruber (grub...@kapsch.net)

Re:Newer Version of the old RTM.EXE?

Roman Gruber wrote:
> Hi!

> I was wondering if there is any newer version of RTM.EXE available on
> the net. The version I use has file date of 3.Dec.1992 and a size of
> 108686 bytes.

I know there's a newer one at ftp.borland.com, and I think you will also
find it in ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/borland/ -- I don't
recall the file name, but you can find it in the indices.  Mine is
109,022 bytes long and dated 2 December 1993.  The 4:00 time indicates
that it was probably released as a patch for Borland C++ 4.0, but it
works fine with BP7.

> I ask becouse I got troubles on machines running DOS with more than
> 32MB RAM installed. Well, 32MB is fairly enough for a DOS-Program,
> right. I would be glad if it makes use only of the first 32MB. BUT:
> Instead of ignoring the "unwanted memory" some PCs hang, some reboot.
> What to do? seting the RTM environment to something like EXTMAX 32000
> does not work too! If I use it under a Windows (95/NT) DOS-Box, all of
> the memory (64MB-some_windows_memory that is) will be used! (I think
> this is becouse of the DPMI-Host)

Maybe you set the environment variable incorrectly?  Try:

SET DPMIMEM=MAXMEM 32768

from the DOS prompt, or in AUTOEXEC.BAT.  Or, you might want to choose a
lower value like 24576 (24MB).

> Please send a Mail as well!

Done.

> Thanks in advance, Roman Gruber (grub...@kapsch.net)

set...@ix.netcom.com | scheduled chaos and mayhem. . . .  |

Re:Newer Version of the old RTM.EXE?

In article: <3461b1a0.23373...@news.kapsch.co.at>  grub...@kapsch.net (Roman

Gruber) writes:

>Hi!

>I was wondering if there is any newer version of RTM.EXE available on
>the net. The version I use has file date of 3.Dec.1992 and a size of
>108686 bytes.

I have a version dated 10 June 1994, filesize 120853. I think I obtained it
directly from the Borland web site, under the name of NEWRTM.ZIP. This also
contains a newer version of DPMI16BI.OVL which has the same date. Its filesize
is 50544 bytes.

>I ask becouse I got troubles on machines running DOS with more than
>32MB RAM installed. Well, 32MB is fairly enough for a DOS-Program,
>right.

My machines only have 8MB of RAM so I don't know if the newer versions cure this
problem. BTW, you see if it's only a DPMI16BI.OVL (the actual DPMI server) by
running a BP application on a problem machine under any version of Windows, as
only RTM.EXE will be used in this case. ie DPMI16BI.OVL will not.

I'll e-mail you the files if you can't find them.

-- Jay

| Jason Burgon - author of Graphic Vision, TV-Like GUI for 256 Colour SVGA |
| g...@jayman.demon.co.uk   ftp://SimTel/msdos/turbopas/gv4svga1.zip         |
| ***NEW VERSION OF GV AVAILABLE FROM*** -> http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk  |

Re:Newer Version of the old RTM.EXE?

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 03:02:15 +0100, Jason Burgon

<Ja...@jayman.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article: <3461b1a0.23373...@news.kapsch.co.at>  grub...@kapsch.net (Roman
>Gruber) writes:

>>Hi!

>>I was wondering if there is any newer version of RTM.EXE available on
>>the net. The version I use has file date of 3.Dec.1992 and a size of
>>108686 bytes.

>I have a version dated 10 June 1994, filesize 120853. I think I obtained it
>directly from the Borland web site, under the name of NEWRTM.ZIP. This also
>contains a newer version of DPMI16BI.OVL which has the same date. Its filesize
>is 50544 bytes.
>>I ask becouse I got troubles on machines running DOS with more than
>>32MB RAM installed. Well, 32MB is fairly enough for a DOS-Program,
>>right.

>My machines only have 8MB of RAM so I don't know if the newer versions cure this
>problem. BTW, you see if it's only a DPMI16BI.OVL (the actual DPMI server) by
>running a BP application on a problem machine under any version of Windows, as
>only RTM.EXE will be used in this case. ie DPMI16BI.OVL will not.
>I'll e-mail you the files if you can't find them.

Thanks, I already found them and they DID cure the problem! My
programs are running fine now...

Roman Gruber
------------> grub...@kapsch.net
"Every finished, working program is outdated"

Other Threads