Paradox record size limits?

Are there any limits on the record size in a paradox (the version
supported by the bde with D2) table?  Secondly, how much overhead
is involved in using a memo field that may not contain data for
every record?

I have a fairly large object (a TObject descendent) in memory that
already contains 2 TStringLists that are saved (along with
the rest of the data) in a paradox table when the user is done
manipulating the object.  I now see a need for two more either
TStringLists or TMemos, only these may not contain data for every
instance of the object or its corresponding db record.  Is the
overhead for an empty Memo in a paradox table low enough that I
can save everything in one record or should I break these two
new fields into a separate table that will only contain entries
for those instances of the object that contain data?

Thanks,
Ray Porter
Applications Analyst Programmer
Administrative Information Services, UNC-CH
Phone: 966-5878
email: l...@email.adp.unc.edu
         dra...@email.unc.edu
Home Page: http://www.adp.unc.edu/~lrp/

Re:Paradox record size limits?

Ray Porter <l...@email.adp.unc.edu> wrote:
>Are there any limits on the record size in a paradox (the version
>supported by the bde with D2) table?  Secondly, how much overhead
>is involved in using a memo field that may not contain data for
>every record?

When you specify the size of the memo/blob field during creation of
the table, that is the number of bytes that will actually be stored in
the table.  Anything more the the size of the memo/blob is stored in
another file.  (I can't remember the extension)

Here's a question.  If you know your blob field is going to be < N
everytime, will making the size of the memo/blob N, increase I/O for
that field?

Iman L. Crawford
ilcrw...@aracnet.com

Dear diary,