Network initialization failed - Operating system network error

I get the following error:

"Network initialization failed - Operating system network error"

I have privatedir set to a temporary directory which I create and delete
after session.close.
I have netdir set to network directory on server using UNC (\\server\netdir)
Local share can be TRUE or FALSE, no impact on the error.

A restart of the computer solves the problem, but after some time (I have
not detected a pattern), the error reappears.

It is not only an error connecting to the DB in my program, since the BDE is
blocked, not even Paradox or SQL Explorer can access the database.

What is this? Someone heeeeeeelp!!!! (deadline for project 15th of December,
2000 users!)

Thank you!!!

I am using Windows NT SP5, AMD K7-500, 128MB RAM, SCSI, Delphi 5.0, BDE
5.10.

Re:Network initialization failed - Operating system network error

Vedran Matesic wrote:

> I get the following error:

> "Network initialization failed - Operating system network error"

> I have privatedir set to a temporary directory which I create and delete
> after session.close.
> I have netdir set to network directory on server using UNC (\\server\netdir)
> Local share can be TRUE or FALSE, no impact on the error.

> A restart of the computer solves the problem, but after some time (I have
> not detected a pattern), the error reappears.

> It is not only an error connecting to the DB in my program, since the BDE is
> blocked, not even Paradox or SQL Explorer can access the database.

> What is this? Someone heeeeeeelp!!!! (deadline for project 15th of December,
> 2000 users!)

> Thank you!!!

> I am using Windows NT SP5, AMD K7-500, 128MB RAM, SCSI, Delphi 5.0, BDE
> 5.10.

Tell me about the fileserver...  Can you look at the number of open
file-handles etc. on the server; is there an entry in the server's
event-log?  Could the login session be timing out -- backups, time of
day?

Vedran Matesic wrote:

> I have privatedir set to a temporary directory which I create and delete
> after session.close.

By mentioning that, do you have some hunch that here could be something??

BDE is known to keep tight locks over it's Priv and Netfile directories.
With some older BDE versions you could get them deleted only after closing
the whole app. I don't know how NT and BDE 5.0 do behave there.

If you have enough disk space to test it, how about not trying to delete
those PRIV directories, but just always create a new one for a new session.
Of course this can not be any production time arrangement.

You probably have already checked all these NT/BDE tips
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/ti/TI3342.html
Yet, you did not mention your network protocol, this tech doc suggests
NetBeui instead of TCP/IP, if there are timing related network problems.

Also, does the error appear on several machines?  I once had error
message something like 'Error Initializing network Drive xx' on W95
machine. Could not locate what it could be, in two days, and then
tried with a _clean_ W95 reinstallation. That corrected the
problem, and it did not come back.

Markku Nevalainen

Other Threads