The Server did not register with DCom within the required timeout

Hi.  I'm new to Com and DCom development, so hopefully this is a simple
problem.  I've written a server which I've registered on local and remote
computers, and a client with a local button and a remote button. The local
object works fine.  I cannot get the remote server to execute.  It's been a
bit like peeling an onion, figuring out NT user rights, etc. as I go.  The
current obstacle is this:

I click the remote button on the client form then wait for about three
minutes before receiving a "Server Execution Failed" message.  I've seen
these before, but not with the long wait.  The Event Viewer Security Log on
the server computer shows that the account I've assigned the server to run
under successfully logged on, then immediately logged off.  The Application
Log has an error entry which says "The server {GUID}did not register with
DCOM within the required timeout".

It is my understanding that the server should be registered automatically in
the Application.Initialize procedure.  And it has apparently done this in
previous runs since the appropriate entry is in the Registry under CLSID.
Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks,
Sharon

Re:The Server did not register with DCom within the required timeout

Did you use DCOMCNFG to configure your server? If not, use DCOMCNFG. While
in DCOMCNFG add the correct Access and Launch Permissions. Also set the
Identity to either Interactive User (useful for debugging) or This User.

have fun.
--
Binh Ly
http://www.techvanguards.com

Binh Ly <b...@castle.net> wrote in message news:397e5c1f$1_2@dnews...
> Did you use DCOMCNFG to configure your server? If not, use DCOMCNFG. While
> in DCOMCNFG add the correct Access and Launch Permissions. Also set the
> Identity to either Interactive User (useful for debugging) or This User.

> have fun.
> --
> Binh Ly
> http://www.techvanguards.com

> "Sharon Phelps" <sphe...@simulationdynamics.com> wrote in message
> > Hi.  I'm new to Com and DCom development, so hopefully this is a simple
> > problem.  I've written a server which I've registered on local and
remote
> > computers, and a client with a local button and a remote button. The
local
> > object works fine.  I cannot get the remote server to execute.  It's
been
> > bit like peeling an onion, figuring out NT user rights, etc. as I go.
The
> > current obstacle is this:

> > I click the remote button on the client form then wait for about three
> > minutes before receiving a "Server Execution Failed" message.  I've seen
> > these before, but not with the long wait.  The Event Viewer Security Log
> on
> > the server computer shows that the account I've assigned the server to
run
> > under successfully logged on, then immediately logged off.  The
> Application
> > Log has an error entry which says "The server {GUID}did not register
with
> > DCOM within the required timeout".

> > It is my understanding that the server should be registered
automatically
> in
> > the Application.Initialize procedure.  And it has apparently done this
in
> > previous runs since the appropriate entry is in the Registry under
CLSID.
> > Any idea what the problem is?

> > Thanks,
> > Sharon

Re:The Server did not register with DCom within the required timeout

Hi.  Thanks for your reply.

I have already used DCOMCNFG more times than I can count. I created a user
account just for my server and gave it Logon as Batch job rights and put it
in the administrators group.  When I ran the client with this setup an entry
appears in the Event Viewer security log indicating that the logon of this
account succeeded.
I tried setting identity to interactive user, as you suggested, but got the
same results, "The server {GUID}did not register with DCOM within the
required timeout". I also get a Dr. Watson message, Exception 0xc0000025 and
an address which is in dll\ntdll.dbg if that sheds any light (it didn't for
me).

I thought I had gotten DCOMCNFG settings and NT User settings right now -
(not said with a huge amount of confidence).  Does this problem seem to
indicate I still have security set up problems?

By the way, I visited your website after reading praise for it in some of
the other messages posted. I think I'll be spending a lot of time there!

Thanks, Sharon

Binh Ly <b...@castle.net> wrote in message news:397e5c1f$1_2@dnews...
> Did you use DCOMCNFG to configure your server? If not, use DCOMCNFG. While
> in DCOMCNFG add the correct Access and Launch Permissions. Also set the
> Identity to either Interactive User (useful for debugging) or This User.

> have fun.
> --
> Binh Ly
> http://www.techvanguards.com

> "Sharon Phelps" <sphe...@simulationdynamics.com> wrote in message
> > Hi.  I'm new to Com and DCom development, so hopefully this is a simple
> > problem.  I've written a server which I've registered on local and
remote
> > computers, and a client with a local button and a remote button. The
local
> > object works fine.  I cannot get the remote server to execute.  It's
been
> > bit like peeling an onion, figuring out NT user rights, etc. as I go.
The
> > current obstacle is this:

> > I click the remote button on the client form then wait for about three
> > minutes before receiving a "Server Execution Failed" message.  I've seen
> > these before, but not with the long wait.  The Event Viewer Security Log
> on
> > the server computer shows that the account I've assigned the server to
run
> > under successfully logged on, then immediately logged off.  The
> Application
> > Log has an error entry which says "The server {GUID}did not register
with
> > DCOM within the required timeout".

> > It is my understanding that the server should be registered
automatically
> in
> > the Application.Initialize procedure.  And it has apparently done this
in
> > previous runs since the appropriate entry is in the Registry under
CLSID.
> > Any idea what the problem is?

> > Thanks,
> > Sharon

Re:The Server did not register with DCom within the required timeout

Try this: Copy the client app to the server machine and then run it there.
What happens?

The technical explanation for your error is that your COM server is somehow
being launched as a user that is not the user account that you specified as
the server's Identity.

have fun
--

> [...]

> > > the server computer shows that the account I've assigned the server to
> run
> > > under successfully logged on, then immediately logged off.  The
> > Application
> > > Log has an error entry which says "The server {GUID}did not register
> with
> > > DCOM within the required timeout".

> > > It is my understanding that the server should be registered
> automatically
> > in
> > > the Application.Initialize procedure.  And it has apparently done this
> in
> > > previous runs since the appropriate entry is in the Registry under
> CLSID.
> > > Any idea what the problem is?

> > > Thanks,
> > > Sharon

Re:The Server did not register with DCom within the required timeout

When I copied the client to the server and ran in, it just hung there with
the hour glass cursor.  I eventually stopped it.  The first time I tried
this, the security showed a successful logon for my network account.  (The
server machine was logged on as Administrator). The Com Server's identity
was set as Adminstrator. I reset the identity for my account, and made sure
it had the user rights required (it did), and ran the client again. Again
the client just hung there.No more messages were added to the security log.

I thought setting the identity with DComCnfg is what detemines the account
the server is launced under.  If it is launching under a different account
than that specified in DComCnfg, then where else do I need to go to set it?

Thanks for your help,
Sharon

Other Threads