What DLLs are required by an app?

Hello,

Does anyone know of an easy way (utility, etc...) of finding out all DLLs
that may be called by an application?  I'm trying to find out exactly what
the bare minimum requirements are for a large application I'm working on.

Thanks,

Robert Hawkey
robert.haw...@garvin-allen.com

Re:What DLLs are required by an app?

In article <8DFD63C2DRobertHaw...@news.andara.com>, Robert Hawkey
<robert.haw...@garvin-allen.com> writes
>Hello,

>Does anyone know of an easy way (utility, etc...) of finding out all DLLs
>that may be called by an application?  I'm trying to find out exactly what
>the bare minimum requirements are for a large application I'm working on.

Whilst this is possible to do programmatically, I believe that is not
guaranteed to be 100% successful. You could write an application which
uses an iterative process to analyse the "chain" of modules that a
Windows executable uses.

Beginning with the EXE file, obtain the list of imported modules. Then
for each imported module, obtain its list of imported modules, and so
on, until no more imports are detected.

If you wrote such an application, it would only detect those modules
containing functions/procedures which have been explicitly imported into
the calling module (by way of the "external" directive for Delphi apps);
It would not detect any modules loaded in code by way of the LoadLibrary
API call.

I have written a Delphi unit which lets you programmatically obtain
information about a Windows executable file (EXE or DLL), including
which modules it imports. The unit would help you, should you decide to
write the aforementioned application.

The unit is experimental, and was written some time ago under Delphi-1.
(I have not yet converted it to compile under Delphi-2+, but I don't
think that it's a major undertaking.) If you are interested, let me know
and I will e-mail the unit's source code to you. I have posted the
source code on the newsgroups before, so you could also search for it
using a newsgroup search engine. Search for "TDLLInfo".

HTH
--
Steve Turner
Leeds, England

Re:What DLLs are required by an app?

The easy way is to let windows do it for you. There is an app that you can
install with 95, 98, and NT called QuickView. Find the executible that you want,
highlight it in the explorer, and do a right mouse click. Then click quick view.
It shows you all the information about your executible, including all accessed
DLL's , exported methods and such...

--

_________________
Brett W. Fleming

Brett W. Fleming <flemi...@vtls.com> wrote in message

> The easy way is to let windows do it for you. There is an app that you can
> install with 95, 98, and NT called QuickView. Find the executible that you
want,
> highlight it in the explorer, and do a right mouse click. Then click quick
view.
> It shows you all the information about your executible, including all
accessed
> DLL's , exported methods and such...

Only if they're statically linked.

--
Jeremy Collins
Kansai Business Systems

Robert Hawkey <robert.haw...@garvin-allen.com> wrote:
>Hello,

>Does anyone know of an easy way (utility, etc...) of finding out all DLLs
>that may be called by an application?  I'm trying to find out exactly what
>the bare minimum requirements are for a large application I'm working on.

How about
  tdump myprogram.exe | grep -i ".*dll"

HTH

Thorsten

Re:What DLLs are required by an app?

Robert Hawkey <robert.haw...@garvin-allen.com> wrote:

: Hello,

: Does anyone know of an easy way (utility, etc...) of finding out all DLLs
: that may be called by an application?  I'm trying to find out exactly what
: the bare minimum requirements are for a large application I'm working on.

  There are programs that'll tell you what DLLs another program has
loaded. Check MSDN. (There's a program called ModuleList from the
Sept. 1988 Microsoft Systems Journal that does the inverse of what you
want. It displays a list of all loaded DLLs and who loaded them.)

--
Mike Swaim, Avatar of Chaos: Disclaimer:I sometimes lie.
Home: sw...@c-com.net

Re:What DLLs are required by an app?

There is a program that comes with NT resource kit, called depend.exe, that
does just that.
Robert Hawkey wrote:
> Hello,

> Does anyone know of an easy way (utility, etc...) of finding out all DLLs
> that may be called by an application?  I'm trying to find out exactly what
> the bare minimum requirements are for a large application I'm working on.

> Thanks,

> Robert Hawkey
> robert.haw...@garvin-allen.com

Other Threads